Is this amount of exercise excessive?

Is this about of exercise Excessive?

• No, I do the same amount of exercise (or more) and I'm perfectly healthy.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Just a bit but you have nothing to worry about.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Please take this with a grain of salt.
The difference between how men and women store fat is significant. Men tend to lose fat stored on the waistline last. For women its the thighs and butt. But those are just rules of thumb.
And the best way to lose fat is with diet. For most of us its a lot easier to cut a couple of hundred calories a day by skipping empty calories as compared with adding a couple of miles to our morning run.

The other thing that is worth considering is visceral fat. Sometimes expanding waistlines are because of visceral fat. Which is very stubborn and hard to get rid of. Visceral fat is fat stored around our organs. If you see a guy with a pot belly - it's probably from visceral fat.

And although visceral fat is hard to get rid of - its worth the effort. It is associated with any number of diseases and conditions. But visceral fat seems to respond well to exercise, low sugar diets, quitting alcohol and cigarettes, and increasing fiber intake.

Not sure if this info is even applicable to your situation. but I thought it worth pointing out. Just in case.

Reactions: Emma JC
Oh dear, I suppose the flab is here to stay then and people have started getting on my case about not losing any more weight. I've been very heavy off and on for over a decade. I gained a lot of weight, I lost weight then I gained it back again whenever I stopped dieting.
You shouldn't worry what other people think about you. How they think about your body is of no consequence.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Hey veganDreama,

Do try and be kind to yourself and maybe see if there's someone you can talk to, as you do seem to have lots of anxieties about weight gain and food. Coupled with your past history (of being both overweight and very underweight) this suggests you probably do need some help - maybe counselling with someone with ED experience?

Exercise is great - and, while rest days from strength training are important, there's nothing wrong with being active every day - it's good for your body and mind. But to me, the way you speak about your fear of gaining weight, and your very rigid exercise regime, suggest you probably need to find a more relaxed balance. (I try to run and work out around 4 times a week and, in the past, used to get very anxious if I missed a training session - but now I've learned to just accept it.)

A BMI of 21 is a slim, healthy weight, so you've no need to lose any more weight - and while I understand your fear of gaining, adding in a few relax/rest days to your impressive exercise schedule really won't cause that to happen.

x

You can always work out as long as it is helping & no strain or pain in your muscles. If thats the case you should take breaks, decide how much your body can take it & how much you should be doing. Just make sure you are not overdoing anything. Since previously I used to be overweight, I searched for many options that I could try & gain more stability. I finally understood natural methods are best for me. So I buy Super MIC B12, it has helped me a lot in weight loss & keeping myself energized all the time. I feel so much better now. You can take a look at its reviews at Bioceuticals International. It has benefitted me in many areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: veganDreama
Hello everyone. Sorry it's taken this long to get back to you all. I would be out exercising but it's raining quite heavily at the moment so I've decided to stay in and update you all. Even though it makes me feel a right wimp. Thanks for all the advice. I now have a BMI of 18. A few weeks ago I had a BMI of 17 but then put a few pounds back on so I'm back to 18 just about. I know it's wrong to want to be underweight and no good will come of it but that's how I feel.

I finally found out how far it is round the park. It's 0.6 miles. Yesterday I did 21 laps (12 miles) and I also did skating.
I also found out I run at a speed of 8.1 km per hour (5 miles per hour) I set myself a goal of doing 21 miles for 3 days running, walking round the park and including the journey to and from the gym which is 1.3 miles. I managed to run for 2 hours 40 minutes (13 miles). My next goal is to do 3 hours although I'd probably have to build up to that as 2 hours 40 minutes (in 12 13 and a half minute stretches) leaves me exhausted.

I like setting myself targets. I feel very accomplished when I manage to achieve them. It's a lot of exercise which devours my time (why I don't come here quite as frequently these days). My real problem is the same one as before. The fear of gaining weight even though I'm only just at a normal weight so a few more pounds wouldn't hurt and there isn't much problem with gaining weight as I get so hungry. Last night after coming in I was very hungry and ate a few slices of Tofu, some peanut butter while making myself salad and peanut butter sandwiches for today), a large mixing bowl full of salad and some raspberries and it made me feel enormous.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou