Is There Hope for A Vegan World? | Gary Yourofsky

Apparently Unilever do make a mayo that doesn't contain any egg, much to their embarrassment, which might have pushed them towards dropping the case.
I thought it was just that they were using the word mayonnaise for products, in particular their healthier products, that don't met the technical definition of mayonnaise as well.....but I'm sure they knew that before they filed the case so they must have had some other motivation. Perhaps they just wanted people to know "Just Mayo" wasn't real? One can only guess.

The number of vegans may have stayed the same, but for every meal with mock meat instead of real meat, is one meal not subsidising the meat industry....I know people who use Quorn who aren't veg*n....so gradually the whole of the animal food industry could be whittled down to nothing without any more people becoming veg*ns.
I'm not sure how big the demand for these products is from non-vegetarians, but sure, when non-vegetarians buy mock meats it does help reduce demand for meat assuming the demand isn't being increased else where. But the meat industry is clever, for example, consider the paleo diet which has people eating more meat.

do you think the world will ever go vegan? will it happen in our lifetime? is there hope for the animals? hear from vegan activist gary yourofksy about his beliefs for the future of the animal rights movement.

Videos Mentioned:
Tal Gilboa Wins Big Brother Israel: Vegan Activist Wins Big Brother! | Tal Gilboa - YouTube
My Activism Journey Story: How To Be An Activist & Find Your Voice | The Bite Size Vegan Story - YouTube
What Would Happen if the World Went Vegan?: What If The World Went Vegan Tomorrow? - YouTube
Interesting videos, though maybe Israel should stop bombing pregnant women and toddlers as well as stop eating meat.

Veganism can succeed if parties of the left take veganism seriously. Look at the successes of the LGBT movement. If the left focused on veganism as much as transgender activism we could have similar successes. I think veganism is a lot more important than transgender activism.

In the US our goal should be to push the meat industry out of the Democratic Party and push ourselves in. Then we would have the media and the bureaucracy and the educational system on our side and we'd see some real victories.

Last edited:
We should focus on ending subsidies to the meat industry. Especially no Democrat should be supporting these subsidies.

Why do Democrats let the meat industry get away with multiple crimes?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
Kearney, an American global management consulting firm (with no apparent links to either the meat industry or to the veg products industry) is projecting that conventional meat will comprise only 40% of the global meat market by 2040. Their analysis states that this change will be driven by novel meat replacements (hyper-realistic plant-based "meat"), and by cultured (cellular / vat-grown) meat.

Link to full report: https://www.kearney.com/documents/2...b-63a1-71d2-c081-51c07ab88ad1?t=1559860712714

However, this change will require the work of biologists, engineers, food scientists, marketers, and business people. The way to really make more veganism happen is to get a job with these up-and-coming "alternative meat" companies.

1603734886028.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Pythagoras
Kearney, an American global management consulting firm (with no apparent links to either the meat industry or to the veg products industry) is projecting that conventional meat will comprise only 40% of the global meat market by 2040. Their analysis states that this change will be driven by novel meat replacements (hyper-realistic plant-based "meat"), and by cultured (cellular / vat-grown) meat.

Link to full report: https://www.kearney.com/documents/2...b-63a1-71d2-c081-51c07ab88ad1?t=1559860712714

However, this change will require the work of biologists, engineers, food scientists, marketers, and business people. The way to really make more veganism happen is to get a job with these up-and-coming "alternative meat" companies.

View attachment 22749
Maybe that projection is a bit optimistic. Do we know people will accept cultured meat with such eagerness? What incentive does the meat industry have for pushing meat substitutes?

And in the chart provided notice that while meat consumption goes down 30% it is still pretty high.

To prevent a major extinction event we’ll have to 1) drastically reduce birth rates in the high birth rate countries and 2) drastically reduce meat and dairy consumption.