Is There Hope for A Vegan World? | Gary Yourofsky

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
do you think the world will ever go vegan? will it happen in our lifetime? is there hope for the animals? hear from vegan activist gary yourofksy about his beliefs for the future of the animal rights movement.

Videos Mentioned:
Tal Gilboa Wins Big Brother Israel: Vegan Activist Wins Big Brother! | Tal Gilboa - YouTube
My Activism Journey Story: How To Be An Activist & Find Your Voice | The Bite Size Vegan Story - YouTube
What Would Happen if the World Went Vegan?: What If The World Went Vegan Tomorrow? - YouTube

If we eat all the omnis we will have a vegan world.

I know just the man for the job ...

tumblr_m7hyl5746v1rakktso1_1280.jpg

Which leads to a half serious point ...

Omnis have absolutely zero mental disconnect twix extreme mental sickness and a lust for meat when the meat lusted after is them.

• Disagree
Reactions: David3
If we eat all the omnis we will have a vegan world.

I know just the man for the job ...

tumblr_m7hyl5746v1rakktso1_1280.jpg

Which leads to a half serious point ...

Omnis have absolutely zero mental disconnect twix extreme mental sickness and a lust for meat when the meat lusted after is them.
love this!

The vegan world isn't going to happen, the number of vegans has hardly increased over the years in the west. With such lackluster success in the west, perhaps its time to rethink matters?

• Disagree
Reactions: David3 and Mischief
The vegan world isn't going to happen, the number of vegans has hardly increased over the years in the west. With such lackluster success in the west, perhaps its time to rethink matters?
"Perhaps inspired by Jay Z and Beyoncé’s 22-day vegan diet or the recent outing of Al Gore as a “newly turned vegan,” news outlets on both sides of the Atlantic are already declaring 2014 “the year of the vegan.”

Such popularity was unfathomable 70 years ago, when Vegan Society founder Donald Watson first created a separate term for milk-and-egg-free vegetarians. Here, a quick primer on veganism’s outliers-to-Oprah path...."

Continues here A History of Celebrity Vegans -- New York Magazine

"Perhaps inspired by Jay Z and Beyoncé’s 22-day vegan diet or the recent outing of Al Gore as a “newly turned vegan,” news outlets on both sides of the Atlantic are already declaring 2014 “the year of the vegan.”
So what about 2015? The "The year of the ex-vegan"? Celebrities going vegan is nothing new....but how many stay vegan? Not many it seems.

But why focus on celebrities? They are unimportant and represent a tiny fraction of society, the greater question is the total number of vegans and that hasn't changed much over the last couple decades. So, as I said, given such lackluster success maybe its time to rethink what vegan groups are doing?

Last edited:
So what about 2015? The "The year of the ex-vegan"? Celebrities going vegan is nothing new....but how many stay vegan? Not many it seems.

But why focus on celebrities? They are unimportant and represent a tiny fraction of society, the greater question is the total number of vegans and that hasn't changed much over the last couple decades. So, as I said, given such lackluster success maybe its time to rethink what vegan groups are doing?
Because people imitate celebrities.

Because people imitate celebrities.
I'm not sure to what degree that is true, hopefully not much, but the vast majority of celebrities aren't vegan and the ex-vegan celebrities stories always seem to get more attention in the general media than the celebrity going vegan stories. If celebrities going vegan did things right, remained healthy and remained committed long-term than perhaps that could be a positive thing for the vegan movement.....but that doesn't seem to be what happens. In any case, its the total numbers that matter and they haven't increased much which should be an indication that something is wrong with vegan activism, veganism or both.

what if the food industry make vegan replacement foods for people that were just as good, taste wise, and nutritionally....can you see anything wrong with that happening? :leer:
The food industry is very far from this but given that there are already tasty vegan foods that can meet people's nutritional needs I'm not sure how "vegan replacement foods", that is mock foods, would result in a dramatic shift in the number of vegans. In terms of what works, you'd think people would look more to cultures that have maintained large vegetarian populations for centuries but that doesn't happen much.

Also, I don't think one should expect corporations to lead social change.....they only see dollars (well, pounds for you!)

In any case, its the total numbers that matter and they haven't increased much which should be an indication that something is wrong with vegan activism, veganism or both.

maybe only x% of people would ever be interested in going vegan at the moment, due to the prevailing food culture....maybe you can't get any more than x% how ever you advocate. Did you see this link I posted somewhere:
PLOS ONE: The Brain Functional Networks Associated to Human and Animal Suffering Differ among Omnivores, Vegetarians and Vegans
Veg*ns' brains respond differently to omnies, when presented with animal suffering images, video etc. If someone just doesn't care about animals suffering, due to their brain functioning, then the only way they would probably go veg*n is if it was really easy, and the prevailing culture.

you'd think people would look more to cultures that have maintained large vegetarian populations for centuries but that doesn't happen much.

You like Indian food, don't you FS......
For me, I don't really like the spices that much...a few samosas and onion bhajis, and I want to go back to dairy free cheese sandwiches.

Also, I don't think one should expect corporations to lead social change.....they only see dollars (well, pounds for you!)

well maybe vegan food is the way forward in terms of dollars, well at some point in the future. Animal products aren't the most efficient way to make food....corporations are always leading social change, by inventing things...take the car...that has had quite an impact(excuse the pun) on society, hasn't it....the car didn't come about because of pressure groups demanding it...it was just invented and manufactured, and people bought them, and used them.....same could go for food.

I, for one, am impressed by the rate at which veganism has become more known and accepted throughout all areas of life. When I stopped eating meat 30 years ago, I did not know a single other vegetarian for decades, let alone vegan. Now i have a lot of vegan friends.

Best regards,
Andy

None of us living today will experience a vegan world. We have problems banning a lot of the industry about animals that is not about food, and I think most people are more willing to give up their fur coat, than their meat. We haven't even got rith of bull fighting, dog fighting, ritual torturing of animals in the name of different gods and things that is only for some sick kind of amusements.

But as the world's population is growing, we're destroying more and more of the Earth, using too much of our water to produce too little food, I think we have to drop down on the consuming of animals products at least.

maybe only x% of people would ever be interested in going vegan at the moment, due to the prevailing food culture....maybe you can't get any more than x% how ever you advocate.
Maybe....but that would just mean you need to change the culture. There are a lot of vegan advocates that seem to think that you're going to get the world to be stop eating meat, etc without any major cultural changes and instead just giving them fake meats, etc.

Veg*ns' brains respond differently to omnies, when presented with animal suffering images, video etc. If someone just doesn't care about animals suffering, due to their brain functioning, then the only way they would probably go veg*n is if it was really easy, and the prevailing culture.
This doesn't tell you much, for example, do they respond differently because they are veg*n or are they veg*n because they respond differently? Given that there are vegetarian cultures, I would doubt that people are veg*n because they respond differing to animal suffering than others. As with so much, you really need to do cross-cultural studies to get to the bottom of things.

You like Indian food, don't you FS......
For me, I don't really like the spices that much...a few samosas and onion bhajis, and I want to go back to dairy free cheese sandwiches.
I do like Indian food....but most days I eat food that is more western in style/flavor. The west doesn't need to mimic Indian vegetarian food culture. At the same time, I think its foolish not to take pointers from the largest, oldest and most successful vegetarian culture on the planet. But, yeah, some people will never change but culture gets new members at each generation so one really has to take a long-term view here.

This doesn't tell you much, for example, do they respond differently because they are veg*n or are they veg*n because they respond differently? Given that there are vegetarian cultures, I would doubt that people are veg*n because they respond differing to animal suffering than others. As with so much, you really need to do cross-cultural studies to get to the bottom of things.

Isn't it due mainly to religion, in Asia? Religion can be a powerful cultural influence.

Vegetarian Hindus

Rajasthani vegetarian cuisine.
Paths of Hinduism hold vegetarianism as an ideal. There are three main reasons for this: the principle of nonviolence (ahimsa) applied to animals,[15] the intention to offer only "pure" (vegetarian) food to a deity and then to receive it back as prasad,[16] and the conviction that non-vegetarian food is detrimental for the mind and for spiritual development. Many Hindus point to scriptural bases, such as the Mahabharata's maxim that "Nonviolence is the highest duty and the highest teaching,"[17] as advocating a vegetarian diet.

There are many Hindu groups that have continued to abide by a strict vegetarian diet in modern times. Vegetarian diet reflects the way of the traditional living ways of Indian people. One example is the movement known as ISKCON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness), whose followers “not only abstain from meat, fish, and fowl, but also avoid certain vegetables that are thought to have negative properties, such as onion, mushrooms and garlic.”[18] A second example is the Swaminarayan Movement. The followers of this Hindu group also staunchly adhere to a diet that is devoid of meat, eggs, and seafood.[19] Vegetarians generally avoid addictive substances, including tea and coffee. Their food reflects a simple Indian meal based on rice and dal, vegetable, chapattis, yogurt and milk. Also, as they are farming, they normally do not hurt worms that appear on the organic produce.[20]

Vegetarianism is propagated by the Yajurveda and it is recommended for a satvic (purifying) lifestyle.[21] Thus, another reason that dietary purity is so eminent within Hinduism is because “the idea that food reflects the general qualities of nature: purity, energy, inertia”; it follows that a healthy diet should be one that promotes purity within an individual.[18]

Diet in Hinduism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And there is also Buddhism.

Last edited:
Isn't it due mainly to religion, in Asia? Religion can be a powerful cultural influence.
Yes and no, vegetarianism has roots in their religion but most Hindus, Buddhists, etc aren't vegetarian. In my previous comment, what I had in mind is their culinary culture and food system. Indian vegetarian food is just as sophisticated, culinary wise, as anything you'd find in the west and Indian vegetarians manage to remain vegetarian without "meat cravings", failing health, etc.

The food industry is very far from this but given that there are already tasty vegan foods that can meet people's nutritional needs I'm not sure how "vegan replacement foods", that is mock foods, would result in a dramatic shift in the number of vegans. In terms of what works, you'd think people would look more to cultures that have maintained large vegetarian populations for centuries but that doesn't happen much.

Foods derived from animal products are expensive and there is enormous interest in disrupting this industry for profit (and the public good). Moreover, this disruption has already had an impact as was recently shown by Unilever's dropped lawsuit against Hampton Creek.

Foods derived from animal products are expensive and there is enormous interest in disrupting this industry for profit (and the public good). Moreover, this disruption has already had an impact as was recently shown by Unilever's dropped lawsuit against Hampton Creek.
Foods derived from animal products are not necessarily expensive, in fact, most mock products are 2~3 times more than the real versions. But creating new products in general can disrupt established businesses but that isn't necessarily going to result in less animal based foods being consumed. Unilever, for example, doesn't produce eggs and doesn't care that Hampton Creek created a "mayo" without eggs, they could do the same, what they care about is maintaining their brands top position.

Businesses and entrepreneurs aren't going to lead social change, they are going to create products they think they can profit from. The idea that world is going to go vegan as people create more mock products is, I think, pretty silly. The number of mock products as increased dramatically over the last 1~2 decades yet the number of vegans, as a percent of society, has remained relatively the same.

Last edited:
Unilever, for example, doesn't produce eggs and doesn't care that Hampton Creek created a "mayo" without eggs, they could do the same,
Apparently Unilever do make a mayo that doesn't contain any egg, much to their embarrassment, which might have pushed them towards dropping the case.

he number of mock products as increased dramatically over the last 1~2 decades yet the number of vegans, as a percent of society, has remained relatively the same.

The number of vegans may have stayed the same, but for every meal with mock meat instead of real meat, is one meal not subsidising the meat industry....I know people who use Quorn who aren't veg*n....so gradually the whole of the animal food industry could be whittled down to nothing without any more people becoming veg*ns.