Veganism & Religion | Gary Yourofsky

Bite Size Vegan

Vegan Fruit-Ninja
Reaction score
Don’t talk about politics or religion at the table, right? Well veganism is already a political way of eating and add in a religious discussion and you’re set for a tense meal! What is the relationship between veganism and religion? Do the tenants of veganism fit within religious practices and beliefs or are they mutually exclusive? Can people from any religious background be vegan? in this interview, vegan activist Gary Yourofksy shares his view on the intersection of religion and veganism.

Get More Gary:
Gary Yourofsky Interview Playlist: Gary Yourofsky Interview Series - YouTube
ViV Area with Bonus Footage: ViV Area- Exclusive Content | Bite Size Vegan

There's always a possibility that any creator deity made animals to be food.

The 100% certainty, though, is that only a total ***-hole of a creator deity would have created food that suffers.

The relation for me is quite obvious. Vegans abstain themselves from drinking one drop of milk like Muslims abstain themselves from drinking one drop of beer. They don't measure the quantities and their impacts, they simply adopt the radical binary on/off behavioural approach regardless of the impacts. In that sense Veganism is clearly a Religion. Kindly please read: Veganism is like a Religion

I might have posted this before, but seems relevant

Covers specific religions

Vegetarianism and Meat-Eating in 8 Religions - Magazine Web Edition > April/May/June 2007 - Publications - Hinduism Today Magazine

I think for people that believe in the literal truth of every word in their holy book, there may be some incompatibility in some cases. Then again, if you believe that, there may even be contradictions within the books themselves.

I think most religions allow for veganism, which not explicitly advocating it.