Is The Future of Food Flexitarian?-YouGov Analysis

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
YouGov analysis of Brits’ dietary habits and attitudes to meat consumption.

Our data reveals that flexitarianism is a legitimate dietary choice in its own right, rather than being a stop on the road to giving up animal products altogether.
While vegetarianism and veganism are on the rise, and the availability of products free of meat and dairy is growing, the vast majority of the population still eat meat and don’t intend to stop soon.
However, 7% of the population are likely to become vegan or vegetarian within the next year, which represents a significant number of people. So there is a large opportunity for brands producing non-meat products.
In terms of cooking at home, our data reveals that vegans are the most adventurous with new recipes, but 15% see food as “purely fuel”. This could mean that there’s scope to tempt new customers with
more exciting meat-free options.

Flexitarians are one of the groups most likely to experiment with new food, and perhaps this says something about why they don’t want to give up meat completely: they
might miss out on interesting options.
All of this paints a picture of flexitarianism as being the prevailing diet of the future. Being free to experiment with food, not placing arbitrary limits on what you can eat, and consuming lots of fruit and vegetables: it
seems like an easy-to-follow diet which minimises environmental impact.

Reactions: Val
That's exactly the increase in promotion I've been seeing everywhere. It started with Trader Joes and natural food stores, with eclectic mixes of vegan offerings, right along with products that sounded vegan- until you read the label and wondered why the heck a cheeseless pizza would have honey, or some other product that didn't fit. It felt as if they mashed things up so much to entice people to try the obvious new foods, with soy and grains, but not to encourage the loss of sales in the usual animal based products. They're jumping on the bandwagon of plant based healthy eating, but since they can't afford to lose the sales of the status quo, they incorporate the plant based items with labels of "healthy plant protein" and other catchy slogans.

Now, after consciously avoided the meal aisles for years, I'm been lured back in search of Beyond Meats burgers and sausages, packed with labels that convey the same allure as the organic-grass fed-pasture raised-humane...,.that wrap the animal flesh. It's as if to show that they're just another option, maybe try the free range dead lamb parts next time.

What had once only housed udder milk is now being overtaken by expressed beans grains and nuts, with contentious names that imply they are alternative milk. The dairy tries to keep up by removing lactate and pictures of happy cows. I would not be surprised to find cow-cashew soon!

While I love the reduction of animal products, I'm afraid of losing the identity of animal rights. It's now becoming marketing ploys to sway people into new habits without giving up the old. I mentioned Trader Joes because they had always had an identity of being vegan friendly, but the reality is most of their products that look so innocent do have coloring and shine from crushed beetles, sweetened by bees food, and thickened by boiled slaugherhouse discards.
As usual, greed is using the message of compassion and health to increase profits and divert attention from the very reason for it, the animals and their health

YouGov analysis of Brits’ dietary habits and attitudes to meat consumption.

Our data reveals that flexitarianism is a legitimate dietary choice in its own right, rather than being a stop on the road to giving up animal products altogether.
While vegetarianism and veganism are on the rise, and the availability of products free of meat and dairy is growing, the vast majority of the population still eat meat and don’t intend to stop soon.
However, 7% of the population are likely to become vegan or vegetarian within the next year, which represents a significant number of people. So there is a large opportunity for brands producing non-meat products.
In terms of cooking at home, our data reveals that vegans are the most adventurous with new recipes, but 15% see food as “purely fuel”. This could mean that there’s scope to tempt new customers with
more exciting meat-free options.

Flexitarians are one of the groups most likely to experiment with new food, and perhaps this says something about why they don’t want to give up meat completely: they
might miss out on interesting options.
All of this paints a picture of flexitarianism as being the prevailing diet of the future. Being free to experiment with food, not placing arbitrary limits on what you can eat, and consuming lots of fruit and vegetables: it
seems like an easy-to-follow diet which minimises environmental impact.

It seems like it's a whole tendency across Europe (flexitarianism). I read last summer, that citizens of Czech Republic tend to eat a diet called "5/7 vegan", meaning that on the working week they eat vegan food only, but on weekends, they go to pubs with friends, make bbq with families, and treat themselves with every possible yummy non-vegan things. Well, it's far better than nothing. If only Russians could follow this example...:sigh:

Reactions: Tom L.
It seems like it's a whole tendency across Europe (flexitarianism). I read last summer, that citizens of Czech Republic tend to eat a diet called "5/7 vegan", meaning that on the working week they eat vegan food only, but on weekends, they go to pubs with friends, make bbq with families, and treat themselves with every possible yummy non-vegan things. Well, it's far better than nothing. If only Russians could follow this example...:sigh:

(emphasis mine) ...as well as more North Americans!... It's true that there are many more healthy, tasty vegan foods available now than when I first became vegetarian, and I think most of these are bought and eaten by people who also eat meat. But the grocery store where I buy most of my food still does a LOT of business selling meat, egg, and milk (plus other foods containing these).

I haven't compared the prices of meat, eggs, and milk with their vegan substitutes lately, but vegan foods used to be as expensive as the animal foods they replaced. And although the vegan foods are almost always lower in saturated fat, they can be high in salt- and they often had trans fats (although this has changed). If I were still omni, I don't know if I'd bother trying some weird new food unless it was on sale.

I've had so many conversations with omnivores about the Beyond Burgers! Most say they while they don't taste like meat, they would be fooled if they didn't know. People love food and most no longer care if comes from an animal or not, while others absolutely do, but haven't fond a way of eating they can get their family to like. These subs are perfect!
Beyond Meat in particular has been on sale everywhere! It's always cheaper at a local discount store, along with Follow your Heart cheses at $3.99- they've been selling well! Aldi has Beyond Burgers for 4.50, the first version. It's been anywhere from $3.99 to $7.99!

There a guy at work who's a foodie and I love talking to about food! He told me how much he loved the burgers and was quite psyched to find out they have sausage that's greasy :p