Is it vegan?

husky86

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
All dairy products contain cholesterol, as we know. All milk and cheese products contain cholesterol. It's one of the key distinctions that sets this food group apart (along with meats, of course).

A film I recently viewed on veganism noted that one of the primary reasons to switch to a vegan diet was the fact that one would not be ingesting cholesterol -- cholesterol being one of the most damaging substances we can introduced into our bodies.

However, there are some highly processed powdered cheese flavoring products out there that contain no cholesterol. None. The ingredient list for such products is long and does technically say it contains milk and cheese product, but I wonder if they're not telling the truth.

In other words, if a product doesn't contain cholesterol -- none -- is it still "dairy"? More especially, does it lean towards (or is it) "vegan"?

Hello husky86, and welcome to the forum.

Cow's milk in any form, minus this or that, is still an animal product. It is definitely not vegan, that's for sure. Furthermore, I'd be way more concerned about the casein protein in dairy than the cholesterol. Well, I don't want the cholesterol either, frankly.

You should look into doctor T. Colin Campbell's research and book about casein protein in dairy. His book is called The China Study. You will clearly see there's more harm in dairy than just cholesterol. Chances are that powdered cheese stuff still contains casein.

Regardless, at the end of the day it's still an animal product, hence not being vegan. Products like this are no doubt produced through factory farming as well, which in itself definitely NOT vegan. I'm not saying non-factory farms are acceptable, cause they're not, but factory farming is definitely the worst conditions for the animals, as we know.

My guess would be that despite their claims of 'no cholesterol' with paragraphs of ingredients, it's still just as unhealthy for you. That's just a guess, but I usually avoid anything that uses paragraphs of long chemical names listed in their products. I prefer whole foods, myself.

I agree, anything that comes from an animal that is "meant" to be eaten or drunk is not vegan in my eyes, besides that though, i would rather not buy things that have tons have ingredients, especially ingredients i cant pronounce, if i cant pronounce them that's pretty much a sign that i should not be ingesting it! :)

Thanks Veganite for your reply.

And thanks for the reminder of “The China Study.” I read this book a little over a decade ago but obviously have forgotten certain parts. Looks like a reread is in order.

I’ve been vegan for 10.5 months. One of the catalysts for my desire to become vegan was the production “What the Health?” on Netflix. I have no problems whatsoever with craving any dairy or meat-based foods… With one singular exception: cheese. Solely because of the cheese content I miss pizza, mac & cheese, toasted cheese sandwiches, Parmesan cheese on various pasta dishes, etc.

I am experimenting with cheese products made for vegans, but thus far they (sadly) pale in comparison. Nevertheless, I am committed to veganism and love my daily menu otherwise, one filled with a plentiful variety of plant-based foods.

Thanks again.