Is it time to leave California?

robert99

On the boat
Reaction score
'A violent hit' when 4.8 magnitude earthquake strikes California's Central Valley

A magnitude 4.8 earthquake was reported Tuesday afternoon three miles from Wasco, Calif., according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

"It was short, brief, but strong -- kind of a violent hit," said Capt. Andrew Kennison of the Kern County Fire Department, which also serves the city of Wasco.

In the last 10 days, there has been one earthquake of magnitude 3.0 or greater centered nearby.

Leave because of earthquakes? Nope. Leave because of the heat and lack of water. Yep.

Ghees Robert , if you do bail out of California because of earthquakes , don't shift to New Zealand :ttth:

That is a large number of people to leave ; approx. 39 m. Much larger than the entire population of Canada ; 37 m !!

Make sure you don't come to France as I also live in earthquake country.:rolleyes:

Reactions: ledboots
There is no place on earth free from environmental disaster, whether natural or man-made. Millions of people live in a place that they know is at risk for one thing or another, yet they continue to live there. Many have no means or motivation to leave. They just learn to put up with it and (ideally) plan and prepare for the worst.

There is no place on earth free from environmental disaster, whether natural or man-made. Millions of people live in a place that they know is at risk for one thing or another, yet they continue to live there. Many have no means or motivation to leave. They just learn to put up with it and (ideally) plan and prepare for the worst.
Exactly. California is a huge, diverse state with incredible terrain and a breathtaking coast. Deserts, oceans, and mountains are dramatic, and of course dangers come with this.

As child, my husband lived practically on the San Andreas fault, and he just shrugs off earthquake talk.

There was a tiny quiver felt here in Tampa a year or so ago, 3.5 or something. Husband was nostalgic that he had slept through it lol.

Exactly. California is a huge, diverse state with incredible terrain and a breathtaking coast. Deserts, oceans, and mountains are dramatic, and of course dangers come with this.

As child, my husband lived practically on the San Andreas fault, and he just shrugs off earthquake talk.

There was a tiny quiver felt here in Tampa a year or so ago, 3.5 or something. Husband was nostalgic that he had slept through it lol.

Ooh yeees.:up::p My favourite place in the whole world.

Two active Southern California faults may cause a Big One by rupturing together
"Because the San Jacinto fault cuts into the middle of the Inland Empire — instead of the edge of the desert — it cuts through a lot more people. There's just more people directly living on this fault," said Julian Lozos, a Cal State Northridge professor of geophysics, who wrote the study while working on post-doctoral research at Stanford University and at the U.S. Geological Survey.
The faults also cut through freeways that connect Southern California to Nevada and Arizona, as well as lifelines that bring in electricity, fuel and water.

I think most long time Californians are used to earthquakes. I've been hearing about 'the big one' coming since I was a kid.

I was here for the Sylmar quake (6.6) and the Northridge quake (6.7) and I'm still here. :p

I was pretty young during the Sylmar quake and all I remember was my family driving over to a friends house to see if it was still standing since it was at the epicenter.
Sylmar-San Fernando Earthquake: 45 years ago Tuesday, 64 killed

The Northridge quake woke me up and was unbelievably loud. It sounded like a semi was crashing through my house, and at first that's what I thought was happening. I have had a car crash through the wall before and I was thinking, "oh, no, not again". I was lucky that I had minimal damage, mostly just stuff falling.

Of course the power went out so we (my daughter and I) went outside to talk to the neighbors and there was a strong smell of gas. I ran back inside to take a quick shower before they turned it off, since I figured it was going to be the last hot shower for awhile. :D

With the electricity off we had to listen to the radio in our cars to get information. All the phone lines were jammed with people calling friends and family to check on them, it was awhile before I could get through to any of them. All of us except for my brother had little damage. His apartment had severe damage and was red tagged, and he had to leave immediately with whatever he could take in only a few minutes. He asked to borrow a neighbor's dolly to move something heavy and when he returned it, they charged him $100 for the use. There were a lot of lowlifes taking advantage of the situation. In my area all the retail stores were closed down for days and the only place open for miles was a KFC. The line was literally blocks long and they took advantage by charging more than double their normal prices. A lot of places got in trouble for gouging, I hope they were one of them.

There were large aftershocks for days, and driving anywhere around town you could see the destruction, houses crumbling, people sleeping on their lawns, roads damaged, it was surreal. Once the power was on, we were glued to the TV and watching the news. We watched a lot of rescues of trapped people. That inspired me to get CERT training so I could help if there was another disaster. Both my daughter and I did the training and even though she was technically too young, they still let her attend and do all the exercises.

The Northridge Earthquake: 20 Years Ago Today

Lots of amazing pictures on the Northridge earthquake link above.

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots and Amy SF
Earthquake expert warns San Andreas Fault is 'locked, loaded and ready to roll'
Even the Aussies say it's time to move!
A 2008 US Geological Survey report warned that a magnitude 7.8 earthquake on the southern San Andreas Fault would cause more than 1800 deaths, 50,000 injuries, $US200 billion ($267 billion) in damage and severe, long-lasting disruptions. Among the predicted problems: The sewer system could be out of commission for six months.

Same story in LA Times San Andreas fault 'locked, loaded and ready to roll' with big earthquake, expert says

Last edited:
How long have they been predicting this? 10 years, 20 years, 30? I guess if they keep saying it every few years, eventually they might be correct, unless we pollute ourselves to death first.