Is it possible to eat too much fruit and vegetables?

veganDreama

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Since increasing my daily exercise I've started getting really really hungry at night. I feel like stuffing myself with vegan junk food but instead I've taken to eating a plate full of low calorie fruit and vegetables at around 11 pm at night. Even after eating it all I still feel hungry but at least not so much. The question is can you over eat on fruit and vegetables?

The question is can you over eat on fruit and vegetables?

Probably. but it would be very difficult.
But I think a better question would be, is " eating a plate full of low calorie fruit and vegetables at around 11 pm at night" a good idea.

And the answer is probably not. There are a number of variables to consider.
If you are eating at 11, and going to bed at 1130, what is the point? You won't feel hunger in your sleep. If you eat adequate calories during the day and/or trying to lose weight - it's not so bad to go to bed hungry.

If you don't get enough calories during the day, it is a good idea to stock up before bed. The brain burns a lot of calories even when you are sleeping and you don't want to "starve" your brain. However, if all your body has to work with is " a plate full of low-calorie fruit and vegetables", that might not be enough. One of the most important reasons to include fat in your daily diet is that it is slow burning high-calorie fat that powers our brains during our nightly fast. A better plan would be to eat adequate calories during the daytime so that you are not hungry at bedtime.

People die from drinking too much water (hyponatremia). And I bet breathing 100% oxygen would be bad for you medium to long term. If you were really trying to overeat fruits and veggies you could probably succeed.

I'm a late snacker too. If I wanted to be perfect I'd cut that out, but eating a plate of fruits and veggies before bed is the best bad habit I can think of.

Apparently bananas can help you sleep so maybe include one of those or make some banana nicecream to eat around 9:30-10:00 or so.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and veganDreama
If you are eating at 11, and going to bed at 1130, what is the point?

After I've eaten I usually do some more exercise to get me out of the kitchen so I don't carry on eating and burn some of the calories I've eaten and make myself tired so I eventually get some sleep. I go to bed between 12 and 1 30 am.

I do eat two main meals during the day but I've taken to going to the gym and walking round the park a lot so I use a lot of energy so by the evening I am still very hungry. Also I take Olamaphine which makes me hungry as well.

Apparently bananas can help you sleep so maybe include one of those or make some banana nicecream to eat around 9:30-10:00 or so.

That sounds nice. I didn't know banana's help you sleep. I keep meaning to make myself some nice cream as I've read about it and it seems quite nutritious.

That sounds nice. I didn't know banana's help you sleep. I keep meaning to make myself some nice cream as I've read about it and it seems quite nutritious.

from a Forbes article back in 2012...

Potassium and magnesium are natural muscle relaxants, and bananas are a good source of both. They also contain the amino acid L-tryptophan, which gets converted to 5-HTP in the brain. The 5-HTP in turn is converted to serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter) and melatonin.

Emma JC

from a Forbes article back in 2012...

Potassium and magnesium are natural muscle relaxants, and bananas are a good source of both. They also contain the amino acid L-tryptophan, which gets converted to 5-HTP in the brain. The 5-HTP in turn is converted to serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter) and melatonin.

Emma JC

I didn't know that either. I usually have my daily banana in the morning. It would be pretty easy to switch to the evening.

Reactions: Emma JC
Eat dried fruits like dates, figs, raisins, berries, combined with nuts you will not be hungry.
Reduce starchy foods, eat more raw.
Listen to your body, if you're hungry eat, if you're not hungry then don't eat.
Eating by the clock is absurd, no animal does that. But work can complicate that ofcourse.

Reactions: veganDreama
if you're hungry eat, if you're not hungry then don't eat.

Thanks for your advice. I am nearly ALWAYS hungry. Well for most of the day anyway. I usually skip breakfast as in the morning I am usually too drowsy to be that hungry but other then that if I ate every time I felt like doing so I would end up being enormous again.

Part of the reason I'm always hungry is because I am on Olazaphine and one of the side affects of that is to make me very hungry.

I am on Olazaphine and one of the side affects of that is to make me very hungry.
A healthy alternative to that is CBD oil. It's been found very effective in treating anxiety, PTSD, alzheimer, epilepsy, and even autism and other disorders of the nervous system. It heals and strengthens your nerves and also acts as a muscle relaxant. You will sleep better and the only side effect is that you will be more calm and mentally strong. Your doctor will probably not know what the hell CBD oil is so please research it and give it a try. I'm using Cibdol 20%. It's expensive but there are other less expensive but good brands out there. Feel free to message me if you wanna know more.

Last edited:
I'm not here to tell anyone what to do, merely sharing what works for me from experience, let's leave it up to her to decide what to do with the information I share.

Do you really think psychopharmacology is a word-of-mouth, personal experience type thing?

Sorry, I try to be tolerant, but it's straight up dangerous to suggest people taking psychoactive drugs prescribed by doctors experiment with unproven substances based on their own "research" and "giving it a try". You don't know why she is taking that drug, why her doctor chose it over other drugs, what other drugs she may be taking, or really anything about her situation at all. Your "information" is dangerous.

Reactions: Emma JC
Thanks for the advice but before I took Olazaphine I suffered mental health issues. I thought their were intruders in my home who wouldn't go away and I thought that people were smuggling animal matter in my food. I wouldn't risk going back to that state of mind. Even being so hungry and drowsy in the morning is better then what I went through before.

To heal it might be beneficial to find out the cause of those thoughts as opposed to sedate oneself. What triggered those thoughts? Who is the observer of those thoughts? When you are the observer then you have the power to ignore inappropriate thoughts. Contemplate this. You are stronger and wiser than you assume. Meditating 10 minutes every day will vastly increase the awareness of your thoughts and will enable you to filter your thoughts. Imagine your thoughts as birds. They come and go. You are the space in which they pass. Intention and affirmations are very powerful. I AM statements such as: I am balanced. I am healthy. I am aware of my thoughts and am able to choose which ones are important to me. I am peaceful. I am loved and loving. I love myself. Write them down, read them whenever you feel anxious. To give direction to your thoughts is possible and essential otherwise you are at the mercy of external stimuli. You can reclaim your awareness and power to direct yourself to be the person you desire to be.

Last edited: