Is Aspartame considered vegan?

Marv

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been reading a lot of blogs and no one really touches this topic.

Avoiding products that have been testing on animals is the vegan way.

But when a product uses an ingredient such as Aspartame does that product become non-vegan by using that ingredient?

IMHO, this is a gray area.
Aspartame has been tested on animals. but if it's in a product, like Equal, maybe that product hasn't been tested on animals.
Its almost like heredity. If you take a product, even a benign one, and you go back in time far enough you'll might find some testing had been done on one of the ingredients. does it matter? or does any animal testing taint the whole line.
It is sort of like how vegan do you want to be.

It may not be fair to compare this to medicine, but for a will lacking a better comparison. way back when they had to test aspirin on animals. When you buy some Walgreen's aspirin - that product may never have been tested on animals. but is the product tainted by association?

I found this article that may answer some of your questions.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I don't know if I trust aspartame, it's so chemically.

I wonder if anyone uses maple syrup as sweetener.
It's so vegan it doesn't even kill the plant it comes from when properly harvested, which is extremely easy to do.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Thanks for your answers. I will stay away from Aspartame.

It's so vegan it doesn't even kill the plant it comes from when properly harvested, which is extremely easy to do.
Sometimes I use maple syrup in oatmeal. and sometimes I use agave syrup to sweeten my matcha lattes.
When I buy diet soda I usually buy Zevia which is sweetened with stevia. I haven't noticed any aftertaste.

For more info

it's so expensive here! Last year I had a quart of organic local syrup kept it in the freezer for about a year, using sparingly. I bought another quart, thinking it would last the same, but my son got on a waffle kick. When I said he could use some I had no idea he would use that much! It's almost gone! :worried: . I only used it for flavor, if I have waffles or pancakes I like jam.

I hate all those sugar substitutes. I don't even taste stevia right-it has the same chemical taste as aspartamine to me- and I had a plant!

I would say though, if I did like aspartamine, and didn't think about the health effects, I don't know that I'd exclude it for it's animal based history