Is animal farming always wrong?

Vegan Dogs, I think you have misinterpreted my post. How could you possibly have taken from what I wrote that I am proposing that "we destroy all wild life because (I) THINK their lives are more suffering than a captive farm animal life ". That's so far from what I said that I am not sure I should bother responding! Please reread my original post and take on the complete argument, not just one cherry-picked part of it to frame your strawman.

many Africans eat farmed dog meat. assume you are ok with that too ?

Did not know that. And of course, I'm not OK with that.

But I've been taught that the only difference between cow meat and dog meat is cultural. So I guess harvesting dogs is Just As OK as harvesting cows.
Although come to think of it. Raising dogs for meat has got to be inefficient and not cost-effective. At least the cows in Africa eat things people can't. Don't dogs and people eat the same things?

Just to make it clear, I am not advocating animal farming and do embrace vegan principles. I am also reasonably familiar with the concepts of veganism.

My question here is more about the fact that right now, in the world we have, it's not clear to me that stopping all animal farming would be a net benefit. Yes, of course vegan ethics proscribe the use of other animals etc. But until that is a law, it will continue to be the case that animals are farmed.

Abolitionists argue that because farming is categorically wrong, we should focus only on achieving abolition and not be distracted by welfarist type arguments. I tend to disagree with that because the path to an abolitionist world is long and windy and I think there are considerable negative impacts along the way.

In particular, I do think that some animal farming is probably best in the world we have right now even if by vegan measures it is immoral. So the answer to my question from where I stand is that animal farming might be always wrong in an ethical sense but for the moment in some contexts it may be a step along the way to encourage the right kind of farming. So no, I don't believe it is always wrong. In fact, I also think that we *could* have vegan farming.

I like nobody's point about justice, but in the world we have is justice done when we clear the land for crops or when we kill many animals to grow those crops? I am not convinced of that. When I look at the efforts of some farmers to restore their lands ecologically and to raise animals in an integrated fashion to improve the ecological function of their land, I am impressed. Far more so than by a field of chickpeas.

In regard to nobody's question, I am not sure I see the clear demarcation here. Vegans argue that transitioning away from animal farming might mean that many animals are killed because they are no longer productive, yet vegans argue this is OK because in the longer run, fewer animals will be alive to suffer and be exploited. So non-existence is preferable to a short and unpleasant life. The aim is to eliminate animal suffering. By extension, killing all life on the planet would alleviate all suffering. Where should we draw the line in that argument? Would we be just to cause a dairy farmer to close his farm and sell all his animals to slaughter? I am not defending any particular strategy, just interested in your thoughts on this.

Graeme M, Your long, protracted argument reveals that you are neither an ethical vegan nor you hold any vegan principals. I don't know what are you doing on a vegan website? I'm sure you have your motives. I think you should take your argument to different website. I suggest the "Cattlemen Association" or the "Hunters' league" or "The animal slaughter team". Any of these organizations would sure find your argument more appealing than a vegan forum.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and silva
Graeme M, Your long, protracted argument reveals that you are neither an ethical vegan nor you hold any vegan principals. I don't know what are you doing on a vegan website? I'm sure you have your motives. I think you should take your argument to different website. I suggest the "Cattlemen Association" or the "Hunters' league" or "The animal slaughter team". Any of these organizations would sure find your argument more appealing than a vegan forum.

Ah yes, the standard "are you really a vegan" response. This always tells you how much someone really bothers to think about things. That's fine, you can be vegan and not ever wonder about stuff.

At least in the wild they have a chance at a normal life even if it’s cut short, on a farm their life is guaranteed to go a certain way no matter what they do. They’ll be taken to the slaughterhouse eventually. They might be able to escape death from a wild predator but not on a farm. There is no escape. So wild animals being killed doesn’t mean it’s ok for us to kill. We can show mercy instead of being more cruel than nature. An animals fate is decided before they’re even born if it’s on a farm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Ah yes, the standard "are you really a vegan" response. This always tells you how much someone really bothers to think about things. That's fine, you can be vegan and not ever wonder about stuff.
People become vegan due to thinking about these sort of things, and finding them wrong. Being vegan is an ethical choice.
You can avoid animal products while supporting animal farming- just say you're plant based.
Maybe someone of higher intelligence should remove you from what they deem to be suffering and relocate you to live how they see fit--all at their expense of course. You would be well treated, fed what they see fit, and protected with walls or fencing