Irritated Intestine

AilurusFulgens

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hi. I'm on the way to become vegan since 2014. Although, I have a looong historical of irritated intestine syndrome caused by more than a decade of psychiatric medicine use. It means that I can't eat a lot of food without feeling too much sick and, unfortunately, some of these forbidden nourishment are beans and nuts, even soaking it overnight (or many nights). I've already made a medical treatment and have been followed-up by a vegan nutritionist, but till now I can't eat my daily vegetable protein amount, unless isolated rice protein, which is more expansive than I can pay.
Please, someone help, 'cause I don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
I'm just a layman but I have some experience in this area.

If you don't have any issues with soy, I would go with soy milk. Drinking a glass between each meal and maybe one or two more at meals. that could be as many as 30 grams of protein. If you have an issue with soy I would then choose pea milk.

protein powders made from soy or pea or hemp could really help, too.
Speaking of hemp, hemp hearts are worth checking out. There are lots of ways to use them. You can mix it with oatmeal. sprinkle it on salads Make smoothies.

more info

If you don't have any issues with soy, I would go with soy milk. Drinking a glass between each meal and maybe one or two more at meals. that could be as many as 30 grams of protein. If you have an issue with soy I would then choose pea milk.

Speaking of hemp, hemp hearts are worth checking out. There are lots of ways to use them. You can mix it with oatmeal. sprinkle it on salads Make smoothies.

more info
Interesting... I've never heard of hemp heart before. I'm from Brazil, specifically from the middle of Amazon, and hemp is a quite rare vegetable here, but I'll try to get it online. I usually have not much trouble eating soy beans, milk or tofu, but when I overeat I feel uncomfortable too. Thank you for the tips! 🥰

Hi Ailurus. Lentils (especially the small red/orange lentils) can be much easier to digest than larger beans. You might consider trying them.
Well, I feel its really easier to digest comparing to the green ones or to regular beans, or chickpeas, for example, but it still difficult when I have to eat everyday. Its like as if I had some weird tolerance that, when I reach the maximum level, I feel bad. 😰

A good strategy might be just to eat 3 small meals and 4 small snacks. Spacing your meals and snacks every 2- 3 hours or so.
your snacks could be simply a glass of soy milk or pea milk. you can even make your own hemp milk with hulled hemp seeds.

Also a lot of people overestimate their protein needs. For most men we need 50 to 60 grams a day. but I can't tell you how many people thinks its much higher.

Reactions: AilurusFulgens

more info
I loved the post, by the way, and certainly I'll find a way to get some hemp heart!!!! 💚

A good strategy might be just to eat 3 small meals and 4 small snacks. Spacing your meals and snacks every 2- 3 hours or so.
your snacks could be simply a glass of soy milk or pea milk. you can even make your own hemp milk with hulled hemp seeds.

Also a lot of people overestimate their protein needs. For most men we need 50 to 60 grams a day. but I can't tell you how many people thinks its much hig

Also a lot of people overestimate their protein needs. For most men we need 50 to 60 grams a day. but I can't tell you how many people thinks its much higher.
Well, I stayed really amazed with the properties of hemp seed. Really. But here, even ordering it online, the only options of selling hemp seed are bird food, with no warranty of the product pureness or something like that. (Actually, I asked the sailor of a big in bulk store around here, and she thought I was trying to buy, you know, Hemp). Aaaand I read about the edible part of the seed beeing precisely the heart you mentioned. So, if you have some tricks or tips for, I don't know, to cull them, I'd thank you sooo much, tee-hee. (Nervous Laughter)

In the US, Hemp hearts are sold almost everywhere. But honestly, I never noticed them till I started looking for them. I think you will be able to find them. and certainly they must be available online. the package does not need to be refrigerated until you open it. you should be able to find it online too. I'm sure you can order it from amazon but I doubt you will get free shipping.

I've never made my own hemp milk. They sell it remade in cartons over here. I'm pretty sure you need hulled hemp seeds to make it. And I'm pretty sure you can't hull the seeds yourself.

when I buy flax seed they aren't hulled and everyone says that its best to just put them through a coffee grinder. Chia seeds aren't hulled either and I just put them in things whole. (they are tiny). I wonder if I should be grinding them. I guess it might depend on the recipe.

we have a short thread on seeds so we should talk about them over there.