Iron in a Vegan diet

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
One of the many stigmas surrounding a Vegan diet is that Vegans are deficient in Iron. I've recently launched a blog where i've attempted to debunk this myth by breaking down the science behind Iron and proving just how easy it can be to include enough of it in your diet on a daily basis.

The post can be found here, and I thought it would be worth seeing if you guys had any further thoughts/feedback around Iron in a Vegan diet? As we know Iron plays a vital role in the production of red blood cells and lack of it can lead to serious health consequences, so its important to make it known how easy it is to get enough Iron in a Vegan diet.

Thanks!

Oh yeah. As a vegan who has had macrocytic anaemia I'm very aware of this issue. But, truth be told, there are many omnivores who are anaemic too. It's a really good topic to blog about, both to debunk and to remind vegans that every diet bears thinking about.

Passion fruit is an excellent source of iron, vitamin B2 (especially good for anaemia sufferers), folic acid, vitamin C, magnesium, and potassium. I recommend it to anyone if any kind of of blood-related issue whether that be low iron or high blood pressure. It also has been found to have nicotinic acid (it sounds like nicotine, but this stuff is helpful not harmful) which regulates cholesterol. It should be ingrained into our vegan minds... think blood, think passion fruit!

Passion fruit also contains alkaloids which basically help to regulate your mood and help you to sleep better. Bonus. However passion fruit is also a natural anti-coagulant which is useful to most people but harmful to a smaller group of people who might be taking medication to thin their blood for whatever medical reason.

For most of us, though, I'll say that one more time. Anything related to blood, think passion fruit!

Would passion fruit make you more passionate as an added benefit ? ;)

Yes, iron plays a vital role in the production of red blood cells in our blood. Well for vegan people banana is a good source for iron. Take dried fruits, such as prunes, figs, and apricots, fortified cereals, pumpkin, lentils, beans - there are so many full of iron foods that can be consumed by vegan. So vegan people, you no need to worry about the iron or vitamin B12, if you have chose to be vegan you will get enough food from the nature to fulfill your body requirement.

Yes, iron plays a vital role in the production of red blood cells in our blood. Well for vegan people banana is a good source for iron. Take dried fruits, such as prunes, figs, and apricots, fortified cereals, pumpkin, lentils, beans - there are so many full of iron foods that can be consumed by vegan. So vegan people, you no need to worry about the iron or vitamin B12, if you have chose to be vegan you will get enough food from the nature to fulfill your body requirement.
Banana is low in iron. I'm not sure where you get your information from but you also posted strawberries as a good source of iron and it has almost none.

Banana is low in iron. I'm not sure where you get your information from but you also posted strawberries as a good source of iron and it has almost none.
I know banana has little amount of iron, still for vegan people it can be considered a source of iron. Little amount but has the iron.

Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds, pine nuts, cashews and almonds are iron bombs.
https://www.nutrition-and-you.com/nuts_nutrition.html

Also beetroot, especially the leaves.

Any iron deficiency will disappear very rapidly if you eat nuts and seeds daily.
If you think they are expensive see them as meat replacement. Also they satiate fast.

Seeds can easily be added to sandwiches, hot meals and salads, you barely taste them and they add extra crunch.
I love eating nuts along with dates.

Last edited: