WWW IMDb To Shut Down Message Boards Before the End of Feb

I suppose that'll create an opportunity for someone to potentially start up a booming movie/tv related forum ...or not

Someone on IMDb suggested users should start migrating over to Rotten Tomatoes as a replacement forum. Apparently that site gets underutilized for commenting on movies and TV.

Too bad, I found them to be useful. When I missed something in a movie, or wasn't sure what happened, I would check the message boards and could usually find the answer there.

Here is the text from the IMDb site about the shutdown, including their suggestions for other forums.
============================================================

IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

Increasingly, IMDb customers have migrated to IMDb's social media accounts as the primary place they choose to post comments and communicate with IMDb's editors and one another. IMDb's Facebook page (需要安全验证) and official Twitter account (IMDb (@IMDb) on Twitter) have an audience of more than 10 million engaged fans. IMDb also maintains official accounts on Snapchat (Add me on Snapchat!), Pinterest (IMDb (imdbofficial)), YouTube (IMDb), and Tumblr (IMDb).

Because IMDb's message boards continue to be utilized by a small but passionate community of IMDb users, we announced our decision to disable our message boards on February 3, 2017 but will leave them open for two additional weeks so that users will have ample time to archive any message board content they'd like to keep for personal use. During this two-week transition period, which concludes on February 19, 2017, IMDb message board users can exchange contact information with any other board users they would like to remain in communication with (since once we shut down the IMDb message boards, users will no longer be able to send personal messages to one another). We regret any disappointment or frustration IMDb message board users may experience as a result of this decision.

A new movie discussion website advertised itself on the IMDb Facebook page:

MovieChat.org

This site claims:

We are currently in the process of archiving all of IMDb's message boards. If you don't find what you're looking for, we're probably still working on it.

While I love and heavily use IMDB, their forums most of the time struck me as a place where idiots go to insult each other...

A new movie discussion website advertised itself on the IMDb Facebook page:

MovieChat.org

This site claims:

I started reading some of the IMDb comments archived on the new site, and it was a good reminder why the message boards were removed from IMDb in the first place...ugly, offensive, insulting and pure trolling. Yikes.

While I love and heavily use IMDB, their forums most of the time struck me as a place where idiots go to insult each other...
I've seen a number of boards that were like that and quickly got tired of them. I didn't much care about the insults and I could deal with opinions different from mine, but when I started to cut back on my internet time, those websites just didn't make the cut. I suppose that those sites are still active with people who want to say things that just might get them punched out if they were to say it in the real world.

I was a little worried at first that the title meant VV was going to vanish...

Forums are on the way out, being overtaken by 'Social Media'. (Don't worry VV I'm not going anywhere!) I used to like reading people's stupid questions and weird theories after I'd watched a film. RIP message boards.

Forums are on the way out, being overtaken by 'Social Media'. (Don't worry VV I'm not going anywhere!) I used to like reading people's stupid questions and weird theories after I'd watched a film. RIP message boards.

But social media is a general interest environment. It seems like it would be a hassle to have people who don't really know or care about the interest or topic you want to discuss constantly asking questions or making stupid comments. I can't see special interest forums going away.

At a beer forum that I recently returned to after a 7 year hiatus, I commented that the environment seemed friendlier than it used to be, and someone replied that it was because all of the beer snobs left and went to FB and Redit.

Reactions: Amy SF