I'm thinking of getting a soy milk maker

beforewisdom

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm thinking of getting a soy milk maker.

Are they easy to clean?

Do you still have to squeeze soy puree through a cheese cloth?

There seem to many different models?

Any tips I should know about?

Meta:

1. Please no anti-soy woo
2. Please don't tell me to just do something else. Answer my question or join me in reading the other interesting answers. Thanks.

I drink a lot of soy milk and I've considered this and researched it a little bit.
We have had several conversations on this here in the VF.
The Soyajoy seems to be the product to buy.

Here is something I wrote about it last year. Huh. i hadn't realized I've been on this fence so long.
---------------
I have around 2 glasses of soy milk a day - let's call it almost 2 gallons a week. Now a 2 qt container is about $4. so that is almost $8 a week.

Now I could be wrong about this but I think a quart of soymilk made from soybeans is around $ 0.25 a quart. So about $1 a week.
for a savings of $7 a week.

The Soyajoy G4 is $140 ( there are cheaper and more expensive milk makers).

so it would pay for itself in 5 months.

I think the thing that held me back last time is that I drink soy milk not just for the protein but for the vitamins and minerals added to it. So I would either have to add those to my homemade soy milk or maybe buy more supplements. Plus adding the sugar and flavoring. but now I'm thinking that wouldn't be too hard anyway. But it would add a little to the cost of each quart.

The other thing is the convenience. Picking up soymilk at the store is no trouble at all. but if i made my own i would be making it two times a week. And to make things a little complicated - after the milk is made, you have to rinse everything pretty quick before it dries and makes a real mess.

A nice bonus is you could also make tofu with your fresh soymilk.

-https://www.veganforum.org/threads/has-anyone-tried-almondcow.4167/#post-25930

Reactions: Sax and Emma JC
Be sure to watch one of the YouTube videos on soymilk making. and if you are thinking of getting the Soyajoy be sure to watch one of theirs. The clean up isn't too bad but it might be a surprise or a concern. Also, the stuff that is leftover (i don't remember the name) might be a concern. It seems like a waste to throw it out and challenging to use.

I guess what has kept me on the fence is the counter space issue and the time issue. I'd have to run it 2 - 3 times a week.

Reactions: Emma JC
My wife recently got one for us, and although I was a little skeptical it has won me over.

The pandemic especially has made buying soy milk not as simple as it had been and I don’t see us ever going back. A huge bonus is the bean fiber left over after straining; it’s called okara and can be used to make seitan.

Doing dishes isn’t something I enjoy but I don’t find cleaning the machine to be a problem immediately after use. We got the Soyajoy G4 and we use it probably five times per week.
I’d recommend having a glass container ready for the milk because it’s quite hot after it’s made. My wife found some from Amazon.

The okara is strained through a strainer that comes with the maker. I found it difficult to do until my wife showed me how to slowly stir it in the filter to make it stain faster.

The biggest disadvantage I’ve found is that the milk has to cool in the glass containers for several hours before we put it in the fridge. Making the milk in the morning is the easiest way to handle that for us. One other disadvantage is if you like commercial chocolate soy milk; we haven’t found a way to make it that compares well. But the plain soy milk is great, and we love being able to not have added sugar as the commercial milk usually does.

Last edited:
The pandemic especially has made buying soy milk not as simple as it had been and I don’t see us ever going back. A huge bonus is the bean fiber left over after straining; it’s called okara and can be used to make seitan.

Do you mean soy burgers? Seitan is wheat gluten.

Doing dishes isn’t something I enjoy but I don’t find cleaning the machine to be a problem immediately after use.

It is the "immediately" that is making me hesitant LOL. Others have mentioned to me that if you don't clean it immediately you have a difficult clean up job. I have a high powered blender I can get clean enough to avoid a problem just by rinsing it out after use.

The okara is strained through a strainer that comes with the maker. I found it difficult to do until my wife showed me how to slowly stir it in the filter to make it stain faster.

Do you mean soy burgers? Seitan is wheat gluten.

It is the "immediately" that is making me hesitant LOL. Others have mentioned to me that if you don't clean it immediately you have a difficult clean up job. I have a high powered blender I can get clean enough to avoid a problem just by rinsing it out after use.

We have a seitan recipe we’ve been using for years and we add okara to it.

I’m usually the dish ***** here but it’s literally only a couple of minutes of clean up, and we hand wash everything. But I understand about procrastinating dishes, as my wife would confirm!

Last edited:
We have a seitan recipe we’ve been using for years and we add okara to it.

I’m the usually the dish ***** here but it’s literally only a couple of minutes of clean up, and we hand wash everything. But I understand about procrastinating dishes, as my wife would confirm!

LOL

I’m sure there are other good soy milk makers out there, but the Soyajoy is working well for us. I’d love to see it renamed SoyBoy Pro or something similar though. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: Lou