I'm a vegan runner, eat well and still get GOUT.

Captaincalamity

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello everyone, I'm new here, but need some advice of anyone else out there knows what I'm going on about...

I've been vegan for nearly two years now
I'm a pretty fit runner, run a few marathons a year, run three times a week and am very active.
Eat mostly fresh food recipes, minimising processed foods as much as possible.
Oh yes and I'm in my mid forties.
Yet still I am suffering from gout attacks, I was under the impression that a vegan diet would help with gout, but to be honest I've had more attacks in the last few years than when I was vegetarian before this, it might be a coincidence.
Anyone else suffer from gout, I tend to dose up on antiinflammatory drugs, drink loads of water and lay off walking etc for a few days and suffer the pain...

My dad used to suffer from gout, and his doctor suggested cutting out coffee and that worked. Now he just drinks high quality coffee, and if he suspects a gout attack coming on he cuts it out for a while. If you’re a coffee drinker maybe give that a try?

Reactions: Lou
Hello everyone, I'm new here, but need some advice of anyone else out there knows what I'm going on about...

I've been vegan for nearly two years now
I'm a pretty fit runner, run a few marathons a year, run three times a week and am very active.
Eat mostly fresh food recipes, minimising processed foods as much as possible.
Oh yes and I'm in my mid forties.
Yet still I am suffering from gout attacks, I was under the impression that a vegan diet would help with gout, but to be honest I've had more attacks in the last few years than when I was vegetarian before this, it might be a coincidence.
Anyone else suffer from gout, I tend to dose up on antiinflammatory drugs, drink loads of water and lay off walking etc for a few days and suffer the pain...

You may find the following helpful:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/well/family/when-a-vegan-gets-gout.html

According to the Mayo clinic, increasing intake of Vitamin C is a good way to combat gout. Eating lots of citrus fruit and cherries.

Avoiding alcohol is also important.

If you google 'high purine' vegetables you might find some helpful links.

Sending healing thoughts.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou