If you wanna support people, actually support.

Flowrydabae

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm obviously not the poster child for "doing the right thing", but these are my views and I'm just gonna speak them. I respect everyone's beliefs, so please respect mine.

I personally just don't think you're a good person if you try to force help on someone. That person should have a choice on what they do and don't do when it comes to the law. You cannot support someone who you think is going through a bad time if they don't want your kind of support. You are also not a good person if you need an audience to see you do those so called "good things". Nobody needs to witness your good work except God. (If you believe in God, or whichever type of thing you would call it. Karma, Allah, etc) With that being said, stop putting cameras in people's faces when you go to the soup kitchen, and tagging your pictures on instagram with #caring and #charity.

While we're adding social media presence and broadcasting charitable acts, please do not say, "I'm trying to inspire others to do good". If you really wanted to inspire others, you'd actually be out just talking about it and not focusing on how many likes and how much monetization you're getting off of posting about it. There isn't anything more stressful for me to witness than a person who makes a youtube video about a serious topic, puts 12 mid roll ads in the video, gets it sponsored, and then gives a shoutout to all of their social media accounts. So now, you have actually made a way to monetize people's pain and suffering. If (keyword: if) you're walking by every single person in New York City with their hands out begging for change, do not ever call yourself a good person. (I know some people don't give money, but you could give food, clothes, or a transportation ticket)

Don't ever treat people like charity cases, and don't ever force your beliefs on someone. This view can also be applied to converting people to veganism. If (keyword: If) you are the type of vegan throwing red paint on people with fur coats on and not the vegan just simply giving someone a free warm vegan meal and letting them know animals need love too, then you are ruining the image of veganism, and you're making us look like a militant cult rather than a spiritual uplifting lifestyle. It's not fair that some meat eaters keep grouping us all in the same category when we are individuals, not clones. Is it your fault? No. However, you can help to end the chain of ignorance with how you behave.

In short: actually do good things from your heart. Don't pretend to do good things, and hope people will praise you. That's not how it works. (Again, all my opinion. I know other people have their own. I'm so sorry for making this post. Something happened to me earlier that just irritated my soul).

Last edited:
Imho, the label "vegan" means that you don't use animals for anything including but not limited to food, clothing and entertainment, to the very best of your ability. It doesn't mean you're an activist or not an activist, it doesn't mean you love animals or you don't, it doesn't mean you like people or you don't. It just means that you've adopted a way of being in the world that does as little harm to animals as possible. It does not mean that you have to be perfect or sacrifice your own health, it means that you have to try your best, given where you are (health issues, living with parents, etc)

Trying to convert people to anything rarely goes well. The best we can do, imho, is show by example: that being vegan is easy, healthy, delicious and personally liberating. If we put forth that it's difficult, rigid and depressing, what good would that do?

Self-promotion is rampant these days. If it messes with your serenity, turn off, unfollow and turn away from all the noise.

Imho, the label "vegan" means that you don't use animals for anything including but not limited to food, clothing and entertainment, to the very best of your ability. It doesn't mean you're an activist or not an activist, it doesn't mean you love animals or you don't, it doesn't mean you like people or you don't. It just means that you've adopted a way of being in the world that does as little harm to animals as possible. It does not mean that you have to be perfect or sacrifice your own health, it means that you have to try your best, given where you are (health issues, living with parents, etc)

Trying to convert people to anything rarely goes well. The best we can do, imho, is show by example: that being vegan is easy, healthy, delicious and personally liberating. If we put forth that it's difficult, rigid and depressing, what good would that do?

Self-promotion is rampant these days. If it messes with your serenity, turn off, unfollow and turn away from all the noise.
Agreed. Sometimes, it's just so difficult to do it when it's all just creating more harm than good.

Reactions: StarGirl