If you had to pick one...

Which industry is generally more cruel?

• Meat

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Dairy

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
It's an interesting question. Sort of reminds me of if you had to get sick, which disease would you want, small pox or malaria?

Anyway, I voted for dairy. My reasoning is that the dairy cows are left alive longer. which I don't think is doing them a favor. also when you drive by a ranch the "beef cows" are all outside in the pasture eating grass (usually for 1 to 3 years). While most of the dairy cows are inside and/or in close quarters. The "beef calfs" are left with their mothers and get to hang out with their moms and play with each other. the diary calfs are separated from their moms.

Dairy cows go to slaughter at the end, so I see them both as the beef industry...dairy is just a more cruel pathway to the same end.

If you did to one human girl what we do to billions of cows it would be one of the most horrific crimes imaginable.

I voted meat but in the way they are BOTH very cruel so it was hard for me to say. Factory farmed sows suffer a lot especially if they are put in pens when they give birth to their piglets. factory farmed birds are also very cruelly treated. So I don't know.

There are about 250 million dairy cows in the world.

About 75 BILLION animals are killed for meat each year.

Factory farmed dairy is horrifically cruel but it's actually a complete and total lie to pretend that this is exactly what happens to family cows or to cows who are worshipped in India.

Killing is always cruel unless its for mercy. Even "humane" forms for slaughter and religious forms of slaughter are scary and painful for the individual animal.

Meat is much crueler than dairy overall. It's also the most sadistic form of consumption. Because babies drink milk, it's psychologically in the realm of compassion to imagine benevolent dairy (even if that's not the true case). On the other hand, anyone who believes in benevolent meat is a complete wack job.

I think people argue that dairy is crueler based on the abject dairy horrors in factory farming, personal bias to persuade people not to be vegetarian instead of vegan, and/or lactose intolerance/dislike of dairy.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
"If you did to one human girl what we do to billions of cows it would be one of the most horrific crimes imaginable." - Sax

"Anyone who believes in benevolent meat is a complete wack job." - Forest Nymph

If we are willing to be cruel to other animals, then we are probably willing to be cruel to other humans. The great horror of the holocaust is that people looked the other way when it happened. We are doing the same thing to animals.

Nowadays, people talk about being mindful. McDonald's should play farm animal abuse videos to help people reconnect with their food source. Maybe we should promote cultural sensitivity by playing videos of kosher animal slaughter. Or maybe people should eat pork in a pig barn. People in the barn would notice how pig poop smells just like a nice pork chop.

Reactions: Lou
Dairy is definitely crueler.

If in some strange universe I was given a choice to be either a dairy cow or a cow raised for meat only, I'd choose the latter.

I don't think I even need to be female to hazard a guess that most human females would rather choose a quick death over being
raped year after year, have their children stolen from them and then hooked up to machines for the majority of their lives
to provide milk for another species...before they are slaughtered just like non-dairy cows.