Ibs and new in veganism

Hrodrik

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi! (sorry for my english, but I'm not native)

I am new in veganism, and having dificulties too adapt, due to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), which I had for more than one year, and when I was eating meat.

In the beginning of the transition, I had too much gas, and some diarrhea, but today I feel ok.
But, a severe pain in the stomach is really messing me.

I had an endoscopy recently, and my doctor sad I had an gastritis, very light, no H pilory, but my pain is coming for the IBS.

Basically, every food that I eat, gives me pain.
I try to eat low FODMAP foods, but it's almost impossible to follow that diet.
And if I follow very serious the FODMAP list, I'll not be able to eat properly.
Beans, for any type, for example, is forbbiden. Many veggies and fruits also.

I tried probiotics, cut gluten, any spicy, and so on. The same happens.

Does everyone here had any experience like that, or have something to help.

I went vegan early last year and suffered IBS. It was so bad I had to revert back to omni. The IBS continued for about 12 months on until it cleared.

I did try probiotics. I took some yogurt drinks, and I take an acidophilus supplement daily. When I went vegan again this year I did not alter my fibre intake so much and my bowels have been okay. It seems better this time.

The mistake I made last time was way too much fibre.

I would suggest you take a supplement until you get back to normal, and try again.

Reactions: Hrodrik
Thanks for answering !

I tried probiotics for one month, with no improvements. But maybe if I try more.
How many months did you do it?

And about fiber, how much do you think would be enough? Because, I'm always eating a lots of bananas with oatmeal, and don't even know if I'm doing it right.

I take a probiotic supplement daily.

Other people have reported issues with IBS and veganism. You need to be careful on your transition.

Reactions: Hrodrik
Actually I had been experiencing problems of gastritis first, and IBS some months before I went vegan.
When I was eating meat, consuming dairy and stuff, I started feeling very unconfortble with black beans. So I cutted it.

And in the transition to vegan, I felt that I had to try it more. But the results, is that.

Now I thing I gonna try your advice about probiotics, and see if I get better.

And started this week with the drugs, that my GI doctor prescribed me, which I was so relutant cause I'm not a beliver of the prazoles. But I decided to give it a try.

I have ibs and it's killing me. It's so bad. wish I could help but nothin I try helps.

I wanted to resurrect this thread in case anybody has any knowledge. M suffers from IBS and doesn't rate the low FODMAP diet at all. No matter how much I search the internet, I find nothing useful at all. Her main triggers are beans and green veg, two of the most useful foods for vegans.