Ibs and new in veganism

Hrodrik

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi! (sorry for my english, but I'm not native)

I am new in veganism, and having dificulties too adapt, due to IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), which I had for more than one year, and when I was eating meat.

In the beginning of the transition, I had too much gas, and some diarrhea, but today I feel ok.
But, a severe pain in the stomach is really messing me.

I had an endoscopy recently, and my doctor sad I had an gastritis, very light, no H pilory, but my pain is coming for the IBS.

Basically, every food that I eat, gives me pain.
I try to eat low FODMAP foods, but it's almost impossible to follow that diet.
And if I follow very serious the FODMAP list, I'll not be able to eat properly.
Beans, for any type, for example, is forbbiden. Many veggies and fruits also.

I tried probiotics, cut gluten, any spicy, and so on. The same happens.

Does everyone here had any experience like that, or have something to help.

bratvada

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I went vegan early last year and suffered IBS. It was so bad I had to revert back to omni. The IBS continued for about 12 months on until it cleared.

I did try probiotics. I took some yogurt drinks, and I take an acidophilus supplement daily. When I went vegan again this year I did not alter my fibre intake so much and my bowels have been okay. It seems better this time.

The mistake I made last time was way too much fibre.

I would suggest you take a supplement until you get back to normal, and try again.

Reactions: Hrodrik
OP
OP
H

Hrodrik

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Thanks for answering !

I tried probiotics for one month, with no improvements. But maybe if I try more.
How many months did you do it?

And about fiber, how much do you think would be enough? Because, I'm always eating a lots of bananas with oatmeal, and don't even know if I'm doing it right.

bratvada

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I take a probiotic supplement daily.

Other people have reported issues with IBS and veganism. You need to be careful on your transition.

Reactions: Hrodrik
OP
OP
H

Hrodrik

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Actually I had been experiencing problems of gastritis first, and IBS some months before I went vegan.
When I was eating meat, consuming dairy and stuff, I started feeling very unconfortble with black beans. So I cutted it.

And in the transition to vegan, I felt that I had to try it more. But the results, is that.

Now I thing I gonna try your advice about probiotics, and see if I get better.

And started this week with the drugs, that my GI doctor prescribed me, which I was so relutant cause I'm not a beliver of the prazoles. But I decided to give it a try.

V

veganwoman

I have ibs and it's killing me. It's so bad. wish I could help but nothin I try helps.

Brian W

Conscientious Christian
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I wanted to resurrect this thread in case anybody has any knowledge. M suffers from IBS and doesn't rate the low FODMAP diet at all. No matter how much I search the internet, I find nothing useful at all. Her main triggers are beans and green veg, two of the most useful foods for vegans.