I Need Help

Hello Bob, thanks for your insight! The oats were the one minute kind, or rolled. I have since just by happenstance to switch to steel cut, I really don't quite get the difference though. I will swap out the rice. I am eating to only eat 100% whole grains, like spaghetti, bread, etc. When eating potatoes, I eat the skin as well, but I have been eating a lot of instant mashed potatoes (are they refined?) It's just a shock to me, the A1C getting worse (going from 7.0 to 7.3) after so many positive changes. I guess a little bit of the bad stuff here and there has a powerful negative punch. Maybe loosing more weight will help - I am still about 20 lbs over what I should be.

Oh! Rice and potatoes and grains are great. But they have to be unprocessed or unrefined. Instant oatmeal is refined. You want the "old Fashioned oats" are good enough. They take 3 minutes in the microwave. Steel-cut oats are a little better but are a bit of a pain to cook. However, you can cook a big batch on Sunday night and separate them into jars and then just have to heat them up in the morning. I can give you directions if you are interested. There is also the option of "overnight oats". At some point, you should try that, too.

I imagine instant mashed potatoes vary a bit by brand but you can check the label. My assumption is that they are lower in fiber than homemade. Same concept with rice. White rice has had most of the fiber removed.

Darn. I wish they hadn't taken down that tutorial...
Anyway. In googling around i found a whole lot of step by step directions. 30 minutes ago i was complaining about Cronometer's lack of instructions/ directions. I have to take this back. I'm not sure if this is new or I just never figured out where it was before.

I haven't read all of these but after a quick look at a few of these, I am very impressed. Totally step by step. Detailed. comprehensive. In one way better than a video because with the quick links to subjects you can skip around to answer any question.

Oh, personally I find Mic The Vegan's style grating. It's probably just me. He has a fanbase right here at the Vegan Forum. I always feel like he is scolding me for something I did wrong.

But I did watch the first 5 minutes and I think he did a great job with this tutorial. So if you would rather watch a video than read directions, check this out

CronOmeter isn't really all that hard to use, but there is a marked lack of directions. There used to be a great short instructional video but after they made the last update they took it down. Let me see if anyone in the YouTube community has filled the void.
CronOmeter isn't really all that hard to use, but there is a marked lack of directions. There used to be a great short instructional video but after they made the last update they took it down. Let me see if anyone in the YouTube community has filled the void.
BTW I made your shake! They were so good I had to have 2 yesterday! I can't thank you enough for that!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Marc,

The idea behind steel cut oats being "better" than quick oats is that during the processing the the more beneficial components are either eliminated or more broken down before you eat it. The example of flour: white flour has the bran and germ removed leaving essentially starch-- which your body processes faster and in many cases with a higher glucose spike than with a whole grain as the fiber in the bran and germ slow down the absorption process and help to moderate the spikes. The theory is that quick oats are more "broken" down than just a steel cut so the quicker absorption. I'd cut out the instant mashed potatoes just to see. When you mentioned a low carb diet not leaving you a lot to eat, what do you mean by low carb? and what do you like to eat?

This is why I had asked about your monitoring your glucose after meals. I'm assuming you're a type 2 diabetic? Are you on any medications for it? In my family's case the results weren't as quick as often presented, but we did have positive results. My wife, started out at A1c of 9.2 or so and upon her first check up, ( I don't remember the time frame --I can find out 4 -8 weeks ) her A1c was down to around 7, but she was on gliperide and metformin as well as lisinopril for blood pressure.

When she was first diagnosed she got a consultation with a dietician on what was the recommended diet for diabetics. Counting carbs was one approach, including a lot my vegetables , and less meat, less fat. We ( I ate the exact same food and amounts as she did) began the carb counting diet. It wasn't a vegan diet, but we greatly increased our vegetable consumption, which luckily for us wasn't too difficult as we both like a lot of different foods, but it was tough at the time tracking carbs. We started losing weight, probably because counting carbs and eating a majority of veg it was due to calorie restriction. Surprisingly it wasn't too difficult to do. I just assumed at some point I'd level off, but I kept losing 1-2 lbs/ week. Just counting "carbs" may work for you re: A1c, but not all carbs are bad--fiber is a carb, and it doesn't affect blood sugar AFAIK.

There can be a lot to it, and finding out how your body responds is extremely helpful. Sad truth is of all the information I've seen on the benefits of a WFPB diet and diabetes not one was 100% effective 100% of the time.

I hope I haven't muddied the waters,

Bob
Thanks Bob, yes I am type 2. I do not monitor my glucose after meals. My doctor just switched me from Farxiga to Metformin Extended release. She said the Farxiga really didn't work that well. I hadn't been taken in most of the time in-between my last 2 blood tests. I will cut out the instant potatoes and oats. Now that I have Lou's shake I have breakfast alternative to starch.

Reactions: Emma JC
Darn. I wish they hadn't taken down that tutorial...
Anyway. In googling around i found a whole lot of step by step directions. 30 minutes ago i was complaining about Cronometer's lack of instructions/ directions. I have to take this back. I'm not sure if this is new or I just never figured out where it was before.

I haven't read all of these but after a quick look at a few of these, I am very impressed. Totally step by step. Detailed. comprehensive. In one way better than a video because with the quick links to subjects you can skip around to answer any question.

Oh, personally I find Mic The Vegan's style grating. It's probably just me. He has a fanbase right here at the Vegan Forum. I always feel like he is scolding me for something I did wrong.

But I did watch the first 5 minutes and I think he did a great job with this tutorial. So if you would rather watch a video than read directions, check this out

Thank again Lou, I'll follow up later today with the video.

@Marc2109 I was thinking about your situation yesterday and wondered if you are aware of the science from Dr Neal Barnard and the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine and their discovery that Type II diabetes is caused by a build up of fat inside our cells and not from eating too much sugar. The fat prevents the insulin from working properly and so the sugar remains in the blood and leads to the higher levels.

Here is a page with some information - https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/diabetes

Is it possible that will take a bit of time for the fat to leave your cells? and for them to adjust to the new reality? I am not sure but weight loss at the beginning is a good start and maybe working that fat, in the cells, out may take a bit more time?

Is so great that so many people are stepping into help you and that you are open to suggestions. None of us are health professionals, although we have done extensive research over the past years, so do be sure you stay in contact with your doctor as if your levels start to drop quickly you may need some adjustment to your medication. The reverse is true, if they stay high then more research may be needed. Your pancreas may need some time to adjust also.

Thank you for keeping us up to date, it encourages us to continue to help others.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
It's not just Barnard that writes about that. All of our favorite PB doctors do. I think I first heard that in the documentary
Forks Over Knives. then again in What The Health. I'm pretty sure it was a chapter in Eat To LIve and/or How Not To Die.

and Marc, if you haven't seen those documentaries you should check them out. What the Health used to be on Netflix. but they both should be at the public library. Besides being informative, I think you will find them encouraging.

But that reminds me, Barnard has the 21-day kickstart. You should think about enrolling. It's free. And it comes with a 21-day meal plan that takes makes the whole thing a step-by-step, learn by doing endeavor. There is a forum that is for all the "students" to share stories and issues. They encourage you to start the program on the first of the month that way the "students" are all doing it together. A lot of people like the social media factor.

Last edited:
@Marc2109 I was thinking about your situation yesterday and wondered if you are aware of the science from Dr Neal Barnard and the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine and their discovery that Type II diabetes is caused by a build up of fat inside our cells and not from eating too much sugar. The fat prevents the insulin from working properly and so the sugar remains in the blood and leads to the higher levels.

Here is a page with some information - https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/diabetes

Is it possible that will take a bit of time for the fat to leave your cells? and for them to adjust to the new reality? I am not sure but weight loss at the beginning is a good start and maybe working that fat, in the cells, out may take a bit more time?

Is so great that so many people are stepping into help you and that you are open to suggestions. None of us are health professionals, although we have done extensive research over the past years, so do be sure you stay in contact with your doctor as if your levels start to drop quickly you may need some adjustment to your medication. The reverse is true, if they stay high then more research may be needed. Your pancreas may need some time to adjust also.

Thank you for keeping us up to date, it encourages us to continue to help others.

Emma JC
Yes I am Emma, and also Dr. John McDougall, who also prescribes to that research. That's why I expected my A1C to go down. I never imagined it would go up. I'm aware of many cases of after being on a Plant-Based diet only a few weeks the A1C went down. My hope at this point is as more weight comes off, the A1C will go down. My doctor is not hopeful. BTW, I made about 3 gallons of your soup! I have enough for all week!

It's not just Barnard that writes about that. All of our favorite PB doctors do. I think I first heard that in the documentary
Forks Over Knives. then again in What The Health. I'm pretty sure it was a chapter in Eat To LIve and/or How Not To Die.

and Marc, if you haven't seen those documentaries you should check them out. What the Health used to be on Netflix. but they both should be at the public library. Besides being informative, I think you will find them encouraging.

But that reminds me, Barnard has the 21-day kickstart. You should think about enrolling. It's free. And it comes with a 21-day meal plan that takes makes the whole thing a step-by-step, learn by doing endeavor. There is a forum that is for all the "students" to share stories and issues. They encourage you to start the program on the first of the month that way the "students" are all doing it together. A lot of people like the social media factor.
Yes thanks Lou I have seen all of those programs. More than once! The kick starter is a bit tough, since its too many new recipes and ingredients coming at me too fast. Now BOTH Barnard and McDougall, If I am understanding correctly, say that with the elimination of fat in the cells, A1C will go down, and that starches don't really matter all that much. McDougall even says that a rice diet will cure a lot of stuff, including Diabetes. Hence the enormity of my shock when mine went up. Other people do this and theirs's goes down in a matter of a few weeks- mine has gone UP after 6 months. I realize though that every body and physiology is different. And perhaps my diet has been bad for so long that it is going to take longer to heal.

So now with the help of kind folks here, I have added more vegetables( Emma's soups idea), cut out the quick and instant oatmeal and instant potatoes (thanks Bob), started on Lou's Soy Milk and Banana Peanut butter shakes ( hmmm good). I also make some Tabbouleh salad with Bulgar.

Now need sustainability- some easy dishes that I can start adding one by one for variety. I am actively looking for these.

Last edited:
  • Love
Last edited:
I make my own Cuban Black Beans. But you can find it premade in a can. I put one cup of Cuban Black beans over a cup of rice and nuke it for 3 minutes.

To make your own Cuban black beans you can make them on the stove, the crock pot. or the instant pot.

I had never heard of Cuban Black beans. I will check these out!

I had never heard of Cuban Black beans. I will check these out!

A Cuban restaurant opened up around the corner from me and I went to try it out. The only vegan thing on the menu was Cuban black beans over rice. I had never heard of them before but it sounded good so I tried them. And I loved them. My Cuban black beans aren't quite as good but they are still pretty good and so easy to make and healthy too. Black beans are one of the best sources of protein there are. And they are also one of the cheapest. If you make your rice and beans from rice and beans in the bulk food aisle, your meal costs like 20¢ or something like that.

You can make a big pot of rice and a big pot of beans on Sunday night and have them every other day for a couple of weeks.

Dr. Fuhrman in the weight loss section of Eat To Live suggests oatmeal every morning and a big salad every day for lunch. and a stir fry or steamed veggies every night.

I happen to live near a farmer's market so it's pretty easy and cost-effective for me to eat 10 lbs of vegetables a week. (in the summers)

try this as a starter for salads. My salads are rarely the same two weeks in a row depending on what is in season.
About a cup of lettuce and or spinach. 1/8 to 1/4 cabbage, one carrot spiralized, 4 - 8 cherry tomatoes, 4 - 8 slices of cucumber, 2- 4 tbsp slivered almonds, 1 - 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, 1/4 - 1/2 cup beans (any kind)
options: baked tofu, cooked or raw broccoli, sliced or whole olives, croutons, peppers.

Add a tasty low fat or oil-free salad dressing and you can have a different tasty salad every day. A great big salad that you can barely finish is usually less than 400 calories. And incredibly nutrient-dense.

There is a thread somewhere around here on homemade oil-free salad dressings.

A Cuban restaurant opened up around the corner from me and I went to try it out. The only vegan thing on the menu was Cuban black beans over rice. I had never heard of them before but it sounded good so I tried them. And I loved them. My Cuban black beans aren't quite as good but they are still pretty good and so easy to make and healthy too. Black beans are one of the best sources of protein there are. And they are also one of the cheapest. If you make your rice and beans from rice and beans in the bulk food aisle, your meal costs like 20¢ or something like that.

You can make a big pot of rice and a big pot of beans on Sunday night and have them every other day for a couple of weeks.

Dr. Fuhrman in the weight loss section of Eat To Live suggests oatmeal every morning and a big salad every day for lunch. and a stir fry or steamed veggies every night.

I happen to live near a farmer's market so it's pretty easy and cost-effective for me to eat 10 lbs of vegetables a week. (in the summers)

try this as a starter for salads. My salads are rarely the same two weeks in a row depending on what is in season.
About a cup of lettuce and or spinach. 1/8 to 1/4 cabbage, one carrot spiralized, 4 - 8 cherry tomatoes, 4 - 8 slices of cucumber, 2- 4 tbsp slivered almonds, 1 - 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, 1/4 - 1/2 cup beans (any kind)
options: baked tofu, cooked or raw broccoli, sliced or whole olives, croutons, peppers.

Add a tasty low fat or oil-free salad dressing and you can have a different tasty salad every day. A great big salad that you can barely finish is usually less than 400 calories. And incredibly nutrient-dense.

There is a thread somewhere around here on homemade oil-free salad dressings.
It's a deal...I'll hit the grocery for them this coming weekend!

Marc, are you on Dr McDougall's mailing list? if not you could consider it as he is always sending out great recipes ideas and simple meals.

Yesterday's was about "bowls"

Emma JC

McDougall Kitchen: Bowls Make Great Summer Meals

Bowls are quick to put together and require minimal cooking. By changing a few ingredients you can create a variety of meals. Each person can choose what to put in their bowl, making them great for family and group meals. Try one our tasty recipes and discover the bowl experience!

@Marc2109 another question...

Do you, by any chance, drink anything with an artificial sweetener in it?

The reason I ask is that I am still watching a Dr Greger Q&A video that I posted about a few minutes ago and he is talking about our brain thermostat for sugar/insulin. If we drink a beverage with any kind of "artificial sweetener" (healthy or otherwise) that doesn't actually contain sugar then our thermostat goes out of whack because the sweet on the tongue stimulates the brain to produce the insulin to deal with the sugar and when the sugar doesn't arrive the brains goes "hun, what was that all about" and the next time it senses sweet in the mouth it doesn't put out the insulin that it should.... hence higher sugar levels in the blood.

He starts talking about it at around the 45:00 mark.

Emma JC

btw when I said flax meal, I should have said ground flax... flax meal is more of a floury substance whereas as ground flax is more fibrous - you can grind your own if you have a spice or coffee grinder - it is the best way to eat flax seeds as they may go right through you otherwise

also congrats on your weight loss! some exercise wouldn't hurt, however, I can not talk about that as I tend to couch potato too much, I would like to change that also

Emma JC
Flax seeds must be purchased whole and run through a spice mill/ blender (vitamix, Ninja etc) prior to use.. purchasing the prepared packages of Flax "Meal" is a waste of money...it must be freshly ground and as mentioned not taken whole as it will just pass through you.

• Friendly
Flax seeds must be purchased whole and run through a spice mill/ blender (vitamix, Ninja etc) prior to use.. purchasing the prepared packages of Flax "Meal" is a waste of money...it must be freshly ground and as mentioned not taken whole as it will just pass through you.

or you buy them from a seller who grinds them onsite and stores in a refrigerator and you take them home and put them in your refrigerator...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I store whole flax seeds in the cupboard. then when I run out of ground flax seeds I get out the coffee grinder. I do like a half of a cup and then keep the ground flax seeds in the frig.
My biggest problem is to remember to use them. I put a little reminder on my oatmeal container to remember to add flax seed.

So I usually add the flax seed after I cook the oatmeal. is that best?

I store whole flax seeds in the cupboard. then when I run out of ground flax seeds I get out the coffee grinder. I do like a half of a cup and then keep the ground flax seeds in the frig.
My biggest problem is to remember to use them. I put a little reminder on my oatmeal container to remember to add flax seed.

So I usually add the flax seed after I cook the oatmeal. is that best?
I believe it's best to add after cooking, that's what I've always done.
My first bag of flaxseeds was years ago and it went bad by the time I decided to use it. I didnt' know all that much about it then, the rancid taste was so disgusting! I've always kept whole seeds in the freezer, and a week of ground in the fridge just to be sure!
A tablespoon can be sprinkled on anything 'wet' , like grains, or soups, IMO. Some even use on salads, which is a big yuck for me!