I need help staying Vegan.

Glitch3950

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi I'm new on the forum. I've failed being vegan many times
And went vegetarian instead. I don't want to keep going back and fourth between being vegan or vegetarian. I need device on staying vegan.

Well done for going vegetarian in the first place. What are the products that you consume that are not vegan?

Eggs, Dairy, and everything that's not related to meat. But I'm trying to go vegan again.

What is your motivation for being vegan? If it isn't the animals then it's just a diet and that is hard to stick to. Maybe looking into animal welfare, or lack of it, may help your focus. Dairy is quite hard to give up as it is a good substitute for meat, but cheese is addictive because of the chemical compounds, so that might take a lot of willpower if you don't have a bigger inspiration other than your health. It is always easier to do things for others. Becoming vegetarian is a big step in itself. :)

Yes, starting to understand more about animal ethics, both from the point of view of fundamental animal ethics regardng animal liberation/rights, as well as specific knowledge about poor conditions and often terrible suffering animals face day to day, could, albeit depressing, help you to build a strong mental resistance to dairy and eggs that could help you with your diet.

For instance, it seems to be that eggs involve more suffering and cruelty even than some meats!

And think about what dairy really is. Cows have to have just given birth to give milk, right? So the industry makes them give birth over and over again, while separating them from their young and making them live in tight spaces and have no life. It's a matter or harsh economic/business logic that this is the way to do it, so it's common practice.

Would you read some books if I gave you some reccomendations, or do you prefer movies? Or would you rather just stick with discussion on the forum and some short articles for now?

To get eggs out of your diet, you need to find an alternative if you are in a habit of eating it. For instance, if you tend to eat eggs for breakfast, come up with some vegan breakfasts - eg. cereals, mushrooms+toast+bread/toast, introduce more healthy fruit into your breakfasts.

Animal butter - this is an easy one - vegetable butters are cheap, tasty and easy to find. It should be easy to ask whoever is the cook/ in charge of food shopping in your house to find and buy one.

If you are ordering pizza in a fast food place or a restaurant, you can just ask for vegetarian pizza without cheese. I like it, give it a try and see if you like it. It's never been a problem for me to order this.

I checked your profile and it says you are 15 years old? It might be helpful to let us know about others in your household - are they vegan or vegetarian - are they supportive of your vegetarianism/veganism? Do you prepare some of your own meals, or never? etc. This could be helpful for giving advice.

Yes, starting to understand more about animal ethics, both from the point of view of fundamental animal ethics regardng animal liberation/rights, as well as specific knowledge about poor conditions and often terrible suffering animals face day to day, could, albeit depressing, help you to build a strong mental resistance to dairy and eggs that could help you with your diet.

For instance, it seems to be that eggs involve more suffering and cruelty even than some meats!

And think about what dairy really is. Cows have to have just given birth to give milk, right? So the industry makes them give birth over and over again, while separating them from their young and making them live in tight spaces and have no life. It's a matter or harsh economic/business logic that this is the way to do it, so it's common practice.

Would you read some books if I gave you some reccomendations, or do you prefer movies? Or would you rather just stick with discussion on the forum and some short articles for now?
I wouldn't mine reading a couple books.

Here are some book ideas. None are specific to dairy/eggs but animal agriculture in general.

1. Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating by Erik Marcus

Argument to go vegan based on animal cruelty, environmental impact and own health.

2. Eat Like You Care: An Examination of the Morality of Eating Animals by Gary L Francione and Anna Charlton

Preachy, moral, logical, rational book focused on defending veganism against counter arguments made in favour of eating meat.

3. Animal Liberation by Peter Singer

Solid examination of animal cruelty and rights and speciesism. Insightful book.

4. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Lots of detail and strong argument against factory farming.

Than
Here are some book ideas. None are specific to dairy/eggs but animal agriculture in general.

1. Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating by Erik Marcus

Argument to go vegan based on animal cruelty, environmental impact and own health.

2. Eat Like You Care: An Examination of the Morality of Eating Animals by Gary L Francione and Anna Charlton

Preachy, moral, logical, rational book focused on defending veganism against counter arguments made in favour of eating meat.

3. Animal Liberation by Peter Singer

Solid examination of animal cruelty and rights and speciesism. Insightful book.

4. Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer

Lots of detail and strong argument against factory farming.
Thanks. I'll look into some of these books when I get a chance.

I follow some really great Instagram accounts that help keep me on the straight and narrow. This one is particularly good for keeping me away from dairy! http://instagram.com/goatsofanarchy
This woman looks after special needs goats who are victims of the dairy industry.

There are some incredibly empowering vegans on Instagram. It's about acknowledging your strength and helping it along in the best way you can. I saw a really great quote the other day

https://instagram.com/p/BPwJI6WFhrJ/

People who say vegans are weak have no idea the strength it takes to stand up for what you believe in.

Vegans are truly amazing people and I feel so proud to be amongst them. The support is there, soak it up.