I love Pickles & Sauerkraut

I have a giant jar of pickled cucumber spears in the fridge. I make pickle sandwiches for a snack. It is a pickle on one slice of bread with mustard and roster sauce or some other condiment. So good for the midnight munchies. Like a hotdog except a pickle.

I've bought the Vlasic Farmers Garden pickles with coupon and a sale. I loved them, and the carrots and - whatever else was in there.
I like Nathans better than Claussens- may be because they're cheaper here.
I also reuse the brine for adding slices of cukes. And I kept the Vlasic jar.

Pickles on bread! Yea! I have some good horseradish mustard too!

I posted about my experience with the Vlasic Farmers Garden pickles. I devoured half the jar the first day I got them. The other half was gone the next day. Good thing I have 2 more jars.

I hardly ever buy name brand pickles since they are so expensive. I usually stick with store brands. My favorite is the Dollar Tree's pickles. They are so salty and addictive. The saltier and sour the pickles the better imo. I also like them warm. Room temperature actually not warmed up or anything:yuck:.

I am the pickle thief. Whenever I'm out to eat with someone whose order consists of pickles that they don't want, I jump on the chance to take them. I appreciate all pickle donations!

Also a fan of all things pickled. I recently tried Wickles http://www.wicklespickles.com/products/ hoagie and sub relish and OMG! Sooo good. I haven't bought it myself since it's $4 a jar, but hopefully it'll go on sale somewhere.

I posted about my experience with the Vlasic Farmers Garden pickles. I devoured half the jar the first day I got them. The other half was gone the next day. Good thing I have 2 more jars.

I hardly ever buy name brand pickles since they are so expensive. I usually stick with store brands. My favorite is the Dollar Tree's pickles. They are so salty and addictive. The saltier and sour the pickles the better imo. I also like them warm. Room temperature actually not warmed up or anything:yuck:.

I am the pickle thief. Whenever I'm out to eat with someone whose order consists of pickles that they don't want, I jump on the chance to take them. I appreciate all pickle donations!

Also a fan of all things pickled. I recently tried Wickles http://www.wicklespickles.com/products/ hoagie and sub relish and OMG! Sooo good. I haven't bought it myself since it's $4 a jar, but hopefully it'll go on sale somewhere.
I'm a pickle thief, too! And I'm with the you: The more sour and salty, the better. I also LOVE pickled beets. I could eat bowls and bowls of them.

Reactions: thefadedone
Oh yes, pickled beets! I buy the giant (quart) jars of them at Costco.

There's a local burger place Husband and I eat at sometimes, which serves a house-made pickle spear with each burger. They're bread&butter pickles, which Husband doesn't like so the first thing I do when they bring the food out is steal te pickle off his plate. :lick:

I've never drunk the brine, but I remember once when I was a kid I opened the pantry for something and saw a jar of pickles. For some reason it didn't occur to me to put the pickles in the fridge. Instead, when nobody was looking, I opened the jar, stole a pickle, and left the jar in the pantry. By the time my mother noticed, the pickles had started to go bad, and she threw out the rest of the pickles. Boy was she mad! From then on I would only steal pickles when they were already in the fridge.

That's how I got started on the cocktail onions. We had a classic 1970's full bar with a mini fridge and everything. My parents would keep a jar of cocktail onions in it for the occasional guest who wanted one in their drink. I must have been really hungry but couldn't eat anything because dinner was coming, and I noticed an open jar of cocktail onions in the bar fridge, so I'd start sneaking them. My parents would wonder how an almost full jar of cocktail onions would suddenly be almost empty when they hadn't served any drinks to guests in weeks! I wouldn't tell and they never asked me. :p They probably thought the cleaning woman was stealing them. :shrug:

Reactions: PTree15
I don't really think we do the whole pickle thing in the UK as much as everywhere else seems to. But I do like pickled onions & chilli peppers...Mmm.

Oh, I also always loved my grandmother's watermelon pickles. They're the rind, in a spicy-sweet brine. I remember there being whole cloves in the jar, but idk what else.

She only made small batches, and opened them for holidays. I would always load up my plate, and no one else got many of them. :p

I've considered trying to recreate them, but I don't like watermelon and Husband is allergic to it, so we never have watermelon rinds.

I looked up what bread and butter pickles were recently, I had thought they were pickles dipped in butter and fried in breadcrumbs.

I love pickled onions and pickled cucumber.:)

OOOOoooo, I love fried pickles! They were the only thing besides french fries (maybe) that was vegan the last time I was a get together!
I've seen boxed frozen ones, but never picked it up to read.
I also looooovvve the watermelon rind! More spicy sweet than sour.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
To those of you who save your pickle jars and reuse them: I don't do that.

It's because my mother always refused to save pickle jars. She said the reason was that she could never completely get the pickle smell out of the jars (mind you, these were glass jars) and that meant she couldn't reuse them for other things such as homemade soup. She never made homemade pickles but she saved jars from everything else to the point where she'd have a hundred empty jars of different sizes and shapes in the kitchen cabinet.

Has this ever been a concern to anyone? Do you have no problem getting the pickle smell out completely in case you want to reuse a pickle jar for something other than pickles?

I reuse glass pickle jars, I only really save jars to make jams and chutneys, so I clean them thoroughly anyway: wash in hot soapy water, rinse with boiling water, sterilise in the oven. They don't smell of anything. I've put jam in them and it doesn't taste of pickle either.

I think glass cleans pretty completely, plastic containers smells/colour/etc linger and I just recycle them. With both pickles and sauces I find the smell lingers more than other things if you don't clean thoroughly, but as long as you wash them in really hot, clean, soapy water I've never had a problem.

I've reused the jar of Vlasic Garden pickles. I just bought another one on sale with a coupon, making it $1.99! First thought was I'm gonna save that jar.
It may have a bit of smell, but not after you put something else in it. Why not soup?
When I store it after washing I leave a spoonful of baking soda in it. I guess it helps