I don't know if veganism is for me

Y97

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi guys
I went vegan a few weeks ago for health and environmental reasons and I was doing fine. Felt a little more tired than usual and had a couple breakouts but was relieved to know my body was just detoxing. I couldn't wait for the period to be over so I could begin experiencing the benefits of being vegan.

Unfortunately my mum is totally against it and forced me to eat meat a few times, so the longest I went being strictly vegan was like 2 weeks at a time. She said that being vegan wasn't right for me - I can't see it, but my family told me my face looks dull and grey, I look weak etc but I don't know why because I consumed mostly carbs and fruit/vegetables. Could it be that I'm just not supposed to be vegan? I'd love to be vegan long term, but if it's affecting my appearance so much I can't be so sure. Any help would be appreciated

Hi,

It seems that your family is determined to sabotage your efforts to eat a plant based diet - they would say anything to make you doubt yourself (such as the fact that your face looks dull and grey, it is all non-sense).

At 20 years old, nobody can force you to eat or do things that you do not want to do - so just own up to the fact that you want to be vegan and stay strong. You be lean, healthy and beautiful whilst everyone else around you grows fat and old :yum

Just stay strong.

Gab

Hi
Stick with it, take some vitamin B complex tablets to help with tiredness. Make sure you have enough protein in your diet as well, Sainsburys have a great frozen vegan mince that is really tasty.
I was 16 when I went vegetarian, I am now vegan and 50 years old and am healthier than other people my age.
Good luck
Rainey x

Hi,

It seems that your family is determined to sabotage your efforts to eat a plant based diet - they would say anything to make you doubt yourself (such as the fact that your face looks dull and grey, it is all non-sense).

At 20 years old, nobody can force you to eat or do things that you do not want to do - so just own up to the fact that you want to be vegan and stay strong. You be lean, healthy and beautiful whilst everyone else around you grows fat and old :yum

Just stay strong.

Gab

Thanks for answering

Unfortunately I still live with my family so I have to follow the rules regardless of my age. But if I really have begun to look unhealthy, how would I make up for it whilst staying vegan?

Hi
Stick with it, take some vitamin B complex tablets to help with tiredness. Make sure you have enough protein in your diet as well, Sainsburys have a great frozen vegan mince that is really tasty.
I was 16 when I went vegetarian, I am now vegan and 50 years old and am healthier than other people my age.
Good luck
Rainey x

Thanks for responding

I've heard about vitamin B12 but I didn't think I'd have to take any supplements just yet, as it's for the long-term vegans. Also, is the frozen mince egg-free? I have tried to find meat substitutes like Quorn etc but they all contain egg.

Tesco frozen Mince Made With Soya is egg-free and the nicest I've had, even my meat-eating husband likes it. The meatballs in the same cabinet however are not vegan as they have egg whites in them. Tesco do really nice vegan Cornetto like ice-creams and fruit splits, I bought some today and the splits are so creamy and tasty, and the fruit ice on the outside actually has flavour. I haven't been to Sainsbury's but Tesco is doing quite well on the vegan front.

Y97, I have some B12 tablets that dissolve under your tongue, they are half what is needed each day as too much makes me very irritable, so as a top-up they are fine and I have no adverse reaction. Marmite has B12 in it apparently, so I have Marmite on toast. Brown rice is wonderful for everything. Veganism isn't a cure-all or the elixir of life, it is simply an ethical way to eat. A side-effect is that you will be healthier and happier. I'm sure your face is not grey because of a vegan diet. If it doesn't look grey to you then it isn't. Maybe you should put some blusher on, then they will probably tell you you should eat meat because you look flushed. It's how you feel that matters.

I can't see any reason why veganism isn't for any specific person. The people who are committed to it really make it work most of the time, I think.

If your health isn't great don't accept that though, try and figure it out to make it better.

I'd say start with vitamin B12 right away to get in the right habit, and make sure you are getting other nutrients such as omega 3s, iodine, calcium by doing a small amount of basic research (if you haven't done it already).

Good luck and if you are still not sure check what you are eating against reccomended vegan food guides online.