I accidentally ate honey!

siana

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been vegan for a year now and my friends have been supportive ever since. One of them even tries to eat more plant-based. We went out today and decided to have a vegan picnic. Everyone prepared something in home and brought it. The problem is my friend didn't know honey wasn't vegan so she made cookies with peanut butter, banana and honey. Earlier today she told me she used bananas and peanut butter but didn't mention the honey and that's why i tried them. In the end of our picnic she said she used honey and I was so upset. I told her that honey isn't vegan but I didn't want to kill the mood so I didn't mention this later even tho I haven't stopped thinking about it ever since it happened. I'm very sad and feel very guilty now and basically just wanted to share because no one in my family/friend circle would understand.

First of all, it was an accident. IMHO, being vegan is all about intent. You didn't intend to eat honey. So no reason to feel guilty.

When you drive your car you might end up killing insects that crash against your car. You can't avoid it. Don't worry about it. There are hundreds of things you do each year that probably end up hurting some kind of animal. Many of these you aren't even aware of unless you go looking for them. (or know a vegan hater that will tell you about them).

welcome to the forum @siana

You will find no judgment here. You did it unknowingly and you experienced kindness from your friend for making you "what they thought were" vegan cookies. There is no downside to the experience in my opinion.

Emma JC

I've been vegan for a year now and my friends have been supportive ever since. One of them even tries to eat more plant-based. We went out today and decided to have a vegan picnic. Everyone prepared something in home and brought it. The problem is my friend didn't know honey wasn't vegan so she made cookies with peanut butter, banana and honey. Earlier today she told me she used bananas and peanut butter but didn't mention the honey and that's why i tried them. In the end of our picnic she said she used honey and I was so upset. I told her that honey isn't vegan but I didn't want to kill the mood so I didn't mention this later even tho I haven't stopped thinking about it ever since it happened. I'm very sad and feel very guilty now and basically just wanted to share because no one in my family/friend circle would understand.
Last time I rode a bike I swallowed a bug. My ex made a dinner and afterwards he realized there was an animal product in the BBQ sauce he used that was a gift from my Mom who is normally super careful about ingredients. Last month I grabbed the vegan Ranch dressing from the cupboard.....after I realized I grabbed my roommates normal Ranch dressing and it wasn't vegan. It is IMPOSSIBLE to be 100% Vegan and live your life. Things happen. It is intent and purpose that matter.

Additionally to me Honey is on the fringe of Vegan accepted or not. Depends on the source and if bees are hurt in the process for me personally. If locally harvested, generally those bee keepers care very very much about the bees and none were hurt during the process.

Save your guilt for when you make a bad descision not for when the winds of fate throw you a curve ball.