Husband and Milk

betiPT

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Our household is almost vegan, my husband wouldn’t quit milk with his coffee.
I tried different barister plant based milks and although he didn’t mind them, he said, “sorry honey, it’s just not the same”. I sourced a milk that does not take away the calf from its mother, that was preferable than my husband buying milk from a supermarket :(
But yesterday he messaged me:
‘Have you heard of Oatley?’
Never had heard of it, so I immediately Googled and all that came up was properties for sale in a suburb called Oatley in Sydney LOL. It so happens we misspelled it :)
When he came home he was very excited about this milk... his local Campos coffee shop suggested it. He loves it, I can buy from my supermarket, it is currently on special. Wins all round, good news story :) B67367FC-85F2-4334-8572-C492D5ED4E06.jpeg

Oatly is super popular in coffee shops in London and New York City.
I think earlier this year I posted an article about Oat milk shortages

Reactions: betiPT
I've never seen the barista edition in shops but fully agree that Oatly products are fabulous. Their cream is the best one that I've ever tasted :

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
I was at the market yesterday to pick up milk and they had Planet Oat oat milk on sale and I got the vanilla flavored one.
90 calories, 1.5-gram fat, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.

I am not sure if it tastes significantly better than soy milk. and soy milk has so much more protein, so I'm not going to make the switch. I'm drinking coffee with it right now and I am not sold on it.

I have a coupon for another carton and I saw that they have an "extra creamy" version with 3.5 grams of fat so I will try that one next. the Dark Chocolate looks tempting. But maybe not. The label doesn't say if the chocolate is ethically sourced.

For chocolate milk, I usually get Calafia, and that brand states that their chocolate is ethically sourced. BTW, the Califia Farms Chocolate Pure Coconut Almond Milk Blend is the best I've had yet. I buy it in the winter and drink it hot.

The store has Oatly too, and I noticed that they have low fat, regular, and a full-fat version. Which one do you get?

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and betiPT
I saw oat milk at the store this morning. Not sure what the brand was. I really wanted to try it but it’s 130 calories per 8 oz serving with 11 grams of fat. I’d rather have a piece of chocolate lol. I use Silk cashew milk at just 25 calories per serving for cooking or eating cereal. But it’s Silk creamer for coffe and tea.

I saw oat milk at the store this morning. Not sure what the brand was. I really wanted to try it but it’s 130 calories per 8 oz serving with 11 grams of fat. I’d rather have a piece of chocolate lol. I use Silk cashew milk at just 25 calories per serving for cooking or eating cereal. But it’s Silk creamer for coffe and tea.

That must have been the Full Fat version. there are regular and low-fat versions too.

I was at the market yesterday to pick up milk and they had Planet Oat oat milk on sale and I got the vanilla flavored one.
90 calories, 1.5-gram fat, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.

I am not sure if it tastes significantly better than soy milk. and soy milk has so much more protein, so I'm not going to make the switch. I'm drinking coffee with it right now and I am not sold on it.

I have a coupon for another carton and I saw that they have an "extra creamy" version with 3.5 grams of fat so I will try that one next. the Dark Chocolate looks tempting. But maybe not. The label doesn't say if the chocolate is ethically sourced.

For chocolate milk, I usually get Calafia, and that brand states that their chocolate is ethically sourced. BTW, the Califia Farms Chocolate Pure Coconut Almond Milk Blend is the best I've had yet. I buy it in the winter and drink it hot.

The store has Oatly too, and I noticed that they have low fat, regular, and a full-fat version. Which one do you get?
I got the barister Oatly... as I wanted to match the good experience he had at the coffee shop to encourage a permanent change :)

That must have been the Full Fat version. there are regular and low-fat versions too.

Does it contain sugar ? The shop brand of soya (no added sugar) milk that I buy contains the following :

Per 100 ml

41 calories
2 g fat
1.4 g carbs
3.8 g protein
0 g
added sugar

Reactions: betiPT and Emma JC
I had another coupon for Planet Oat. and they are still on sale too so I satisfied my curiosity and got a carton of their "Dark Chocolate".

Meh. thin in both taste and texture. But I'm thinking of just using it for smoothies this week. Adding a frozen banana, and/or a tbsp of PB, and/or a tbsp of oatmeal should fix it right up.

I had another coupon for Planet Oat. and they are still on sale too so I satisfied my curiosity and got a carton of their "Dark Chocolate".

Meh. thin in both taste and texture. But I'm thinking of just using it for smoothies this week. Adding a frozen banana, and/or a tbsp of PB, and/or a tbsp of oatmeal should fix it right up.

I've never tasted this particular brand. However, I have noticed that there is often a huge difference as far as quality and taste is concerned from one brand to another.
Oatly is far superior to any other bran of Oat milk that I've tasted. :)

Reactions: Emma JC and betiPT