How style ruined dog breeds.

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
A comparison of dog breeds from 100 years ago with today.

It is unrealistic to expect any population to be free of genetic diseases but show breeders have intentionally selected for traits that result in diseases. Conformation breeders claim they are improving the breed and yet they are often the cause of these problems. If “improvement” in looks imposes a health burden then it is not a breed improvement..

No dog breed has ever been improved by the capricious and arbitrary decision that a shorter/longer/flatter/bigger/smaller/curlier “whatever” is better. Condemning a dog to a lifetime of suffering for the sake of looks is not an improvement; it is torture.

So sad.

I have friends who used to show dogs, and who still follow what is happening in show circles. Apparently, the new trend is to favor, in the show ring, the traits that the working lines of the various breeds have maintained. That is good news, since the working lines have given preference to temperament and physical sturdiness, rather than the various exaggerated looks that have been encouraged in the show ring.

If “improvement” in looks imposes a health burden then it is not a breed improvement..

I would agree.

Those who feel a greater 'love' for those animals who's looks are more pleasing to them wouldn't.

Primary reasoning (their's, not mine) there simply being that how can breeding animals that are ever more 'loveable' possibly NOT be an improvement?

My dog is a purebred. She was specifically bred to be in shows. However she has an underbite so she was deemed useless and defective by her owner who dumped her.

My dog is a purebred. She was specifically bred to be in shows. However she has an underbite so she was deemed useless and defective by her owner who dumped her.

That's a shame.

I'm mixed on the idea of purebreeds, but not on the implimentation.

In theory, I could see the argument for keeping some traditional specimens of dog breeds. In practice, it seems like such breeds are continued only for cosmetic purposes and otherwise ignore (or even harm) the genetic diversity of the breed.

I think we've also seen to a certain degree the same thing done with cats. For example, those who are familiar with cat breeds know that there are two different kinds of Siamese cats, the traditional (applehead) and the modern. The modern has an extremely triangular head and larger ears than the traditional version of the breed, which had a rounder head and smaller ears. The Siamese is also much more slender than it used to be, even more than in the 1970's, but certainly much more than they were a century ago.

I had a purebred Siamese cat in the 1970's that was of course of the traditional type, but they seem to be very rare these days. Most Siamese I believe are of the modern variety. And I am completely clueless as to why breeders went to the trouble of completely changing this breed. I don't see any practical purpose in a cat with an extremely triangular head and extremely slender body, other than to have something that conforms to "show" standards. :shrug:

I had a purebred Siamese cat in the 1970's that was of course of the traditional type, but they seem to be very rare these days. Most Siamese I believe are of the modern variety. And I am completely clueless as to why breeders went to the trouble of completely changing this breed. I don't see any practical purpose in a cat with an extremely triangular head and extremely slender body, other than to have something that conforms to "show" standards. :shrug:

Did "Lady and the Tramp" influence Siamese cat standards?

Reactions: Scorpius
Did "Lady and the Tramp" influence Siamese cat standards?

I have no idea.

ETA: I do know that the crossed eyes which used to be common in Siamese is now considered an undesirable defect, and that I suppose is a good thing. It's rare to find a crossed eye Siamese now. But I just don't understand why breeders couldn't stop there but had to turn what used to be a perfectly normal looking cat into a space alien. And now there are other cats out there such as the Sphynx which also look like space aliens. :shrug:

I think we've also seen to a certain degree the same thing done with cats. For example, those who are familiar with cat breeds know that there are two different kinds of Siamese cats, the traditional (applehead) and the modern. The modern has an extremely triangular head and larger ears than the traditional version of the breed, which had a rounder head and smaller ears. The Siamese is also much more slender than it used to be, even more than in the 1970's, but certainly much more than they were a century ago.

I've always thought the appleheaded Siamese are so much more beautiful. But then, working specimens of labs, GSDs, collies, etc., are also so much more beautiful than the show lines.

Reactions: Amy SF
The RSPCA (a UK animal welfare organisation) had a campaign five years ago called Born to Suffer Born to suffer - Dog welfare - Companion animals which was about the welfare issues surrounding pedigree dogs.

There was a very annoying discussion on a UK dog forum with breeders defending their pedigree dogs and saying that they were very well cared for.:rolleyes: They kept saying how the measurements of the dogs were perfect and they missed the point slightly.

My neighbours have a pedigree French Bulldog and he sounds like he has difficulty breathing.

:( It's really sickening the way breeders offload their "defective" dogs on rescue centres. Gizmo has a wonky mouth too, although he is a mixed breed, I think it makes him look more cute.<3

Reactions: thefadedone
My neighbours have a pedigree French Bulldog and he sounds like he has difficulty breathing.

Yeah, French Bulldogs are brachycephalic (pushed in faces) and all brachycephalic dogs have breathing problems. Apparently their fanciers don't care, as the appearance of these dogs is much more important to them. :rolleyes:

I do know that the crossed eyes which used to be common in Siamese is now considered an undesirable defect, and that I suppose is a good thing. It's rare to find a crossed eye Siamese now

My mom adopted a cross eyed siamese a few years ago. He also has no tail. We have no idea if he was born without a tail, if he was in some sort of accident, or if his tail was cut off on purpose by his previous owners. :( He's quite a rarity. He's also super fluffy. So he's a cross eyed, no tailed, fluffball siamese.:D

His brother is also a rescued Siamese. He has no voice. He tries to meow but he only squeaks. They are an interesting duo.

I don't understand the preoccupation people seem to have with animals who have the flatter/smashed face? Happens to dogs, cats, and even some rabbit breeds have the smashed face.

I really dislike animal breeders.

The RSPCA (a UK animal welfare organisation) had a campaign five years ago called Born to Suffer Born to suffer - Dog welfare - Companion animals which was about the welfare issues surrounding pedigree dogs.
I was quite surprised (and pleased) that such a welfare-orientated organisation would come out and say that it was against breeding pedigree dogs. It has always seemed to me that only AR abolitionist type of people/groups seem willing to say that breeding pedigree dogs (or any animals) is cruel. Having a group that is not known for being radical or AR saying it, will, I think/hope have a much bigger effect on your average person.

Someone in my family bought a dog from a breeder, who also shows dogs, just recently. They know how I feel about buying from a breeder, even though I'm sure the pup is adorable, it's hard to be enthusiastic when the breeding of pedigree dogs just has so much wrong with it... but it feels churlish now it's done.

Someone in my family bought a dog from a breeder

Yeah,someone in my family did that and I ended up with the dog because she couldn't take care of it anymore.So now I have a chihuahua with bug eyes.It looks quite strange on such a small dog.

I think it's a characteristic of a teacup dog which were bred to be smaller and smaller so they could fit in even smaller cages.:(

Last edited: