Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Please help. Someone told me these candies were vegan:

Sour Patch Kids
Swedish Fish
Jujufruit
Sweetarts

And most importantly: Goldenberg's Original Dark Chocolate Peanut Chews.

People keep saying they're vegan when I google it. Even PETA. But are these same people researching every inch of every ingredient like the sugar they used? Especially in Goldenberg's dark chocolate chews? How do I know the sugar wasn't processed with bone char?

I did some research on this a few years ago and its possible that my info is out of date or that I mis-remember some facts.

Most of the sugar in the US is not processed with bone char. Its just a more expensive process and is mostly not done anymore.

But some sugar is processed with bone char.

I'm pretty sure that any product that is labeled as vegan or is promoted by an organization as Vegan (like PETA) would not be using sugar that is processed with bone char.

The big candy companies don't always know who is supplying their sugar. They have a lot of different suppliers. but I don't think this is something worth losing sleepover. You can assume that almost all sugar is vegan. There are more important things to worry about.

I did some research on this a few years ago and its possible that my info is out of date or that I mis-remember some facts.

Most of the sugar in the US is not processed with bone char. Its just a more expensive process and is mostly not done anymore.

I'm pretty sure that any product that is labeled as vegan or is promoted by an organization as Vegan (like PETA) would not be using sugar that is processed with bone char.

The big candy companies don't always know who is supplying their sugar. They have a lot of different suppliers. but I don't think this is something worth losing sleepover. You can assume that almost all sugar is vegan. There are more important things to worry about.
But I have a rare health problem where I am allergic to certain sugars. Particularly bone processed sugars. I have to consistently buy specialty candy from specialty shops which is expensive for me, or make imitations of the same candies I like so that I know what's in it. It's very important that I know. I can't eat healthy everyday because I usually eat salad everyday and my calorie intake is dangerously low, so I need sugar here and there to maintain a healthy weight and have added energy.

Peta is quite lenient when it comes to listing vegan friendly foods, as far as things like sugar.
I'd say your best bet is to email the company and emphasize your allergy.
Here is a good list of companies that have stated they do not use bone char-https://gentleworld.org/keeping-animal-cruelty-out-of-sugar/
Of course no organic can be put through bone char, and no beet sugar. I buy Pioneer sugar which is beet

I can't find if Germany allows bone char. Aldi Moser Ross dark chocolate is made in Germany, I've assumed it would be completely vegan (sugar)

Reactions: Lou and Flowrydabae
Can I ask why you eat salads everyday and need extra calories? Why not food?
I just really like salad. It's very photogenic and delicious with plenty of nutrients. I do eat potato chips on the side of some of my salads or sometimes put the salad into a gluten free vegan tortilla wrap or into a taco shell. Salads just always have a low calorie level. Each salad below is usually 300 calories at most for me, and I need 2,000 calories a day.

20100901_cornsalad.jpg

Cucumber-tomato-avocado-salad-4-500x375.jpg

fruit-salad-horizontal-jpg-1522181219.jpg

Lemon-Olive-Chickpea-Salad-Maria-Marlowe-1.jpg

Cool-and-Creamy-Potato-Salad.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Veganite and Lou
Peta is quite lenient when it comes to listing vegan friendly foods, as far as things like sugar.
I'd say your best bet is to email the company and emphasize your allergy.
Here is a good list of companies that have stated they do not use bone char-https://gentleworld.org/keeping-animal-cruelty-out-of-sugar/
Of course no organic can be put through bone char, and no beet sugar. I buy Pioneer sugar which is beet

I can't find if Germany allows bone char. Aldi Moser Ross dark chocolate is made in Germany, I've assumed it would be completely vegan (sugar)
Thanks. I will email the companies. I had a feeling PETA was lenient. I will say that I do trust the certified vegan website where its logo is a v inside a heart. Thanks for the link as well.

Reactions: Lou
Do you like nuts? Nuts are rich in calories (700 - 1000 calories per cup), and they're so much healthier than candy.

Reactions: Lou
Do you like nuts? Nuts are rich in calories (700 - 1000 calories per cup), and they're so much healthier than candy.
Yes, I love nuts. Particularly peanuts, because they are the only nuts I'm allowed to love. I'm allergic to every other nut. I just want to eat a variety of sweets on occasions, which is why I want to try Goldenberg's peanut chews the most. Valentine's day is coming up, and it's very important that I can eat chocolate.

Hey. Just wanted to say for you and everyone else reading this that Goldenberg's Peanut Chews are definitely not vegan. The sugar is processed with bone char. I was on the phone with a representative and she just told me that. I'm sad now. I don't know what to do. I need a good chocolate bar that I can eat for Valentine's day. I'm sorry for any trouble I might have caused earlier. It's not your fault. I'm just so desperate. Being vegan sometimes isn't fun. Neither is having all these allergies.

Hey. Just wanted to say for you and everyone else reading this that Goldenberg's Peanut Chews are definitely not vegan. The sugar is processed with bone char. I was on the phone with a representative and she just told me that. I'm sad now. I don't know what to do. I need a good chocolate bar that I can eat for Valentine's day. I'm sorry for any trouble I might have caused earlier. It's not your fault. I'm just so desperate. Being vegan sometimes isn't fun. Neither is having all these allergies.
Endangered Species- They label what's vegan
This is verified for vegan sugar

My favorite candy is Chocolove crystallized ginger, and while I can find references to them being vegan, I can't now confirm the sugar, and since an allergy is involved won't suggest- but you should check

Reactions: Flowrydabae
T
Endangered Species- They label what's vegan
This is verified for vegan sugar

My favorite candy is Chocolove crystallized ginger, and while I can find references to them being vegan, I can't now confirm the sugar, and since an allergy is involved won't suggest- but you should check
Thank you! I'm looking at the page right now!