How did your fur baby (babies) come to be named?

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Reading animal friends and family stories and enjoying the pics is heartwarming. I love the interesting names .So, tell me. Just how did they get those names of theirs?

Rhett- was born during my daughter's Gone with the Wind phase
Abby the Tabby- named by my ten year old niece
Jean Claude- two reasons- named because of his cute little crooked Salvador Dali moustache which made him look like a tiny Frenchman. He was very small and emaciated when we found him,so we wanted to name him after a big tough guy so that he could grow big and strong,hence the name Jean Claude Van Damme.
Your turn.:)

Arwen: Got her around the same time I started chatting online with my (then) future husband. I told him I was crap at naming animals, and he suggested Arwen because he is a big fan of Lord of the Rings. 7 years later, I am a fan as well and the name is perfect.

Reactions: Muggle
Sabrina: I had recently seen the movie Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn portraying the title character. I loved the scene where she returns from cooking school in Paris as a confident, sophisticated young lady, and William Holden doesn't recognize her at first! Sabrina was 13 weeks old whenI adopted her, and already a very pretty kitten, but I figured she'd blossom into a very beautiful looking cat when she got older, so I named her after the movie Sabrina!

Misty: Adopted at the same time as Sabrina, but named second because I couldn't think of a name I liked as much as Sabrina. Misty is a tabby, but she had more gray coloring when she was a kitten, so I came up with Misty. Her black coloring gradually came in as she got older.

Violet: She was a stray rescued off the street by Heather (danakscully64) who posted a brief video of her on VB in order to convince me to take the cat. Heather said she was a Blue Korat. Although it was hard for me to tell what type of cat she was from that video, I went ahead and named her Violet (because it's a color in the blue spectrum, get it?) but when I saw her in the flesh, I wasn't so sure. I think she's more of a Russian Blue, but either way, the name doesn't really fit her personality. That's why her nickname is Monster. :p

Reactions: sallyomally
Halo - a character from a story I wrote when I was younger. Then those video games came out and sort of wrecked the name.

Coco - it's short for cocaine. She was a stray rescued by a bunch of students, who named her due to her all-white fur. Then my mum took her in, and I couldn't tell her the name so I shortened it. Mum still doesn't know.

Aja: Named after the song/album Aja by Steely Dan. She has always been smooth and easy.

Sedona: Named after my favorite place, Sedona, AZ.

Maximus: He is our rescue boy and came with the name "Whiskey". We didn't want to go around calling out whiskey, whiskey so we thought about it and he is so huge the name Maximus just fit.

Lily: She is our rescue girl that we found in the desert. We started calling her "Little One (Lil' One)" as with 3 dogs already we originally thought of finding her a new home but she quickly wormed her way into our hearts and we couldn't bear to let her go. She just seems like a Lily so Lil' One morphed into Lily.

Meatball: When I was a kid I loved the cartoon "Doug". Doug had a pet dog named Porkchop. I always loved that and always said I'd do something similar... I'd have a cat and name it Meatball. So when I got my first apartment and adopted my first cat I stayed true to my childhood claim. Also, the name fits because even as little 9 week old kitten Meatball had a little pot belly because she was such a little piggy, so "Meatbally" (Meaty for short) has always seemed to fit her.

Lily: I took her in unexpectadly so didn't have time to think of a proper name. She was just a tiny little ball of fun, so little... So, similar to Swamp-Dweller her being little morphed into lil to Lily.

Ichabod: Named after Ichabod Crane.

Merrie and Pippin- named by my brother after the Lord of the Rings Hobbits (but my kitties are girls). My old cat was called Sammy because that was his name before we got him (he came to us aged 10 and we didn't want to change it) but I used to call him Samwise Gamgee on occasion because I thought it sounded cute.

I own several name your baby books even though I've never had kids. My pets all have people names. I try to find names a bit unusual enough that I don't come across people with the same name. Especially at work.

I had my kitty names picked out even before I adopted my two last summer. Both names seemed to fit. I had some back up names too just in case.

^ These names are interesting.:)

My dog is Gizmo which I know is a bit of a cliched name but it suits him and my other dog is called Molly just because I like the name and I read afterwards it is one of the most popular names for a dog at the moment.

One of my cats is called Pug and it was taken from a Raymond E Feist book called The Magician but it is weird as the character is male and she is a female. I also have a male cat called Pixie which is a bit of a girly name.

Jack is my Jack Russell terrier. He was originally supposed to be temporary - I called him Jack because he is a JRT, for the weekend, until I could get him to the vet to be checked for a microchip. Then he kept coming back, and by the time I decided that he needed to stay, the name had stuck. It suits him.

Jilly is Gillyflower when she's being formal. I chose the name to go with "Jack", since they are my little guys.

Gracie, Sylvester, Santos, Sara, Lola, Caruso, Kitter, and Socrates came with their names. I do generally call Sylvester "Cow Cat" because he reminds me so strongly of a Holstein. Rosebud came as Rosie - Rosie is much too common for someone with her presence. Bertie came as Burt, and I tried to feminize it when I started concluding that she was female.

Captain Snuggles came to me as "Snuggles" - the "Captain was added because of the change in his demeanor when he met his harem.

Serenity is so named because she is so not serene, and for the ship on Firefly.

Sebastian is named for J.S. Bach because he has a musical meow.

Doc is named for Doc Halliday because he bit all the way through the palm of my hand, twice, the first time we met. A good guy, but a bit dangerous.

Ziggy is named for Ziggy Marley because he loves reggae.

Amelia is named in honor of the woman who asked me whether I would take her in - she lives on Amelia Island - and for Amelia Earhart, because she came to me by airplane.

Y.A.C. stands for Yet Another Cat - he was the umpteenth cat who showed up here that year.

Y.A.M. showed up a couple of years later, and when my ex suggested that we name him "Yam" because it was Thanksgiving, I said, "Since Y.A.C. stands for Yet Another Cat, I guess Y.A.M. stands for Yet Another M************ingcat." The name stuck.

Double is so named because once, while I was away visiting my sister, my ex called in a panic, thinking that Kitter had gotten out, but wouldn't let him approach her. He spent hours trying to catch her. When he finally came inside, Kitter was sleeping in her usual spot.

Elf is so named because she's a little elf of a cat.

Sita stands for "Mamacita" - she was fiercely protective of her litter.

Squirt was such a tiny little squirt for so long - I was going to name him Oliver, because he was orphaned twice over, but his baby nickname stuck.

Paco is an Amazon, so it was suitable for him to have a South American name.

Moonshadow is named for the Cat Stevens song.

I took Destiny in last summer, after having decided that there was no way I could take in another cat and then making an exception because it seemed to be destiny. I named her kittens names also starting with "D": Desiree, Dulcinea and Desperado.

Last year's orphaned mallards that I thought were girls, I named Jade and Jasmine. When their mature feathering came in, they were renamed Jude and Jazz, and then when I had to get more girls because of the havoc they were causing, I named two of the girls Jade and Jasmine. Betty and Dorothy are Golden 300s, and are therefore named for Betty White and the Dorothy character on The Golden Girls.

Tuesday showed up on a Tuesday.

The hens are all include "Anna" in their names, except for Ramblin' Rose, who manages to get out repeatedly.

Tascha, Toby, Frisco, Finnegan, Luna, Leon, Shiloh, Babu, Jenny, Matilda, Binky, Tao, Zen, Alfie, Tofu, Ayla, Dominic, Simon, Prudence, and Dagwood have names that either my ex or I liked and which seemed to suit them.

haimster. (d0g)...named after my fave corey haim of course....lol

bannie...bandit..(dog) named after my fave mobster al capone..

romeo & juliet (my birds)...after shakespeare story

Mike Tomczak (ex Chicago Bears Q.B.) (goldfish)....luved mikey-T-soooo much back then....lol!!

peace:)

I get muddled up with my dog's and cat's names all the time now I have 8 of them living here. I keep getting dog Molly and cat Poppy mixed up and I keep calling Gizmo "Jack" as that is my oldest male cat's name.

It gets confusing as I call out "Jack" to Gizmo when he is in the garden and he ignores me but the dog next door and the dog in the garden behind me are both called Jack so they stop what they are doing and look at me or start barking at me.:p

5 of my cats have names starting with the letter P too so I end up stuttering at them when I get their names wrong too!

Reactions: CrowCaw
Mollie came to us named.

Ashley was born on Ash Wednesday of that year, and the kids wanted an "Ash" name. Most of the time she just gets called Ashes.

Tucker was the only name that we all agreed upon.

I have 5 cats and a dog... so here goes...
Black Kitty..... I know... real original :D
her children:
Fifty.... named by my son and grandchildren after the rapper Fifty Cent because the kitten was the biggest
Lil Mama.... also named by above because she is the tiny one and mama is an affectionate term
Screamer... named by my former husband because he came out hollering and has basically never shut up... very verbal
a stray who showed up on my back patio:
Furball.... named by me because she is furry :D

And last but certainly not least:
Shady, the pit bull who was acquired by my son during the time the song "The Real Slim Shady" by Eminem was popular.

This thread is too cute. We have 4 cats. :kitty:

Einstein: knocked over a portrait of Albert Einstein and took a nap on top of it.
Holmes: sniffed my husband's butt (which woke him up from a nap) to which the reaction was, "what are you looking for there, Sherlock Holmes?"
Scrooge: was a total sourpuss for the longest time - now he's a total badass who loves to sleep more than any cat I've ever seen, but a complete sweetheart.
Cookie: incredibly tiny, cute and brown; named by my brother-in-law years before we adopted her.

Reactions: Chryssie
Jack is my Jack Russell terrier. He was originally supposed to be temporary - I called him Jack because he is a JRT, for the weekend, until I could get him to the vet to be checked for a microchip. Then he kept coming back, and by the time I decided that he needed to stay, the name had stuck. It suits him.

Jilly is Gillyflower when she's being formal. I chose the name to go with "Jack", since they are my little guys.

Gracie, Sylvester, Santos, Sara, Lola, Caruso, Kitter, and Socrates came with their names. I do generally call Sylvester "Cow Cat" because he reminds me so strongly of a Holstein. Rosebud came as Rosie - Rosie is much too common for someone with her presence. Bertie came as Burt, and I tried to feminize it when I started concluding that she was female.

Captain Snuggles came to me as "Snuggles" - the "Captain was added because of the change in his demeanor when he met his harem.

Serenity is so named because she is so not serene, and for the ship on Firefly.

Sebastian is named for J.S. Bach because he has a musical meow.

Doc is named for Doc Halliday because he bit all the way through the palm of my hand, twice, the first time we met. A good guy, but a bit dangerous.

Ziggy is named for Ziggy Marley because he loves reggae.

Amelia is named in honor of the woman who asked me whether I would take her in - she lives on Amelia Island - and for Amelia Earhart, because she came to me by airplane.

Y.A.C. stands for Yet Another Cat - he was the umpteenth cat who showed up here that year.

Y.A.M. showed up a couple of years later, and when my ex suggested that we name him "Yam" because it was Thanksgiving, I said, "Since Y.A.C. stands for Yet Another Cat, I guess Y.A.M. stands for Yet Another M************ingcat." The name stuck.

Double is so named because once, while I was away visiting my sister, my ex called in a panic, thinking that Kitter had gotten out, but wouldn't let him approach her. He spent hours trying to catch her. When he finally came inside, Kitter was sleeping in her usual spot.

Elf is so named because she's a little elf of a cat.

Sita stands for "Mamacita" - she was fiercely protective of her litter.

Squirt was such a tiny little squirt for so long - I was going to name him Oliver, because he was orphaned twice over, but his baby nickname stuck.

Paco is an Amazon, so it was suitable for him to have a South American name.

Moonshadow is named for the Cat Stevens song.

I took Destiny in last summer, after having decided that there was no way I could take in another cat and then making an exception because it seemed to be destiny. I named her kittens names also starting with "D": Desiree, Dulcinea and Desperado.

Last year's orphaned mallards that I thought were girls, I named Jade and Jasmine. When their mature feathering came in, they were renamed Jude and Jazz, and then when I had to get more girls because of the havoc they were causing, I named two of the girls Jade and Jasmine. Betty and Dorothy are Golden 300s, and are therefore named for Betty White and the Dorothy character on The Golden Girls.

Tuesday showed up on a Tuesday.

The hens are all include "Anna" in their names, except for Ramblin' Rose, who manages to get out repeatedly.

Tascha, Toby, Frisco, Finnegan, Luna, Leon, Shiloh, Babu, Jenny, Matilda, Binky, Tao, Zen, Alfie, Tofu, Ayla, Dominic, Simon, Prudence, and Dagwood have names that either my ex or I liked and which seemed to suit them.

I want to come live with you. :D

My white kitty with black markings has a heart near her ear , when she was born it was visiable, this kitty was suppose to be my moms so she called her Roxie heart she named her that after the Chicago movie years ago.

My calico her sister Olivia got her name from the Cosby show Olivia (What Raven Symone played as a little girl)

My parents has three malteses but, I am going to say the cats name there Tonka she was named after the Tonka trucks from the previous owners of her, the kids of the owner of the cat named her Tonka.