How did your fur baby (babies) come to be named?

I get muddled up with my dog's and cat's names all the time now I have 8 of them living here. I keep getting dog Molly and cat Poppy mixed up and I keep calling Gizmo "Jack" as that is my oldest male cat's name.

It gets confusing as I call out "Jack" to Gizmo when he is in the garden and he ignores me but the dog next door and the dog in the garden behind me are both called Jack so they stop what they are doing and look at me or start barking at me.:p

5 of my cats have names starting with the letter P too so I end up stuttering at them when I get their names wrong too!
This cracks me up so much! My aunt had seven children, several dogs, cats, and other pet animals, and she would go through a *bunch*,of names before she'd get to the right one sometimes. "Carla, um, Kimberly..David, Bomber...oh you know who I mean!" The best was two of the boys, a year apart, were Blaise and Jacky. "Jaise and Blackie" LOL!

Oh, and our first dog's name was Ginger, the cutest piebald mini dachshund ever. He (yes, Ginger was a "he";)) was named after my husband's dog growing up, a female corgi mix who lived to 21. Our current dachshund, Pepper, was named also by our daughter. Pepper is brindle so looks "peppered." I call her pepperonici all the time for no reason. :D

Frank the Pug is of course named after the Pug in Men in Black! :) Before we got him, my mom and I had always wanted a Pug, and we'd been looking for a while to adopt one, so a few months before getting him while we were talking about Pugs, I said, really as a joke, that I want to name a pug Frank after the Pug in Men in Black. Then we got him and I really wanted to name him Percy, after the Pug in Pocahontas, but I had thought of the Frank the Pug thing years before we even decided to get a dog, so it was kind of like a joke that stuck and I just couldn't imagine his name not being Frank. His original name was Dallas, so it was about an hour after we brought him home that we actually gave him his current name. My mom immediately started setting up appointments for him at PetSmart, for obedience courses and a grooming and things, and they asked for his name to put down the appointment, and my mom asked me what his name was and I just said Frank without even thinking and it's just stuck.

When I first saw Lady in a picture, I immediately thought, "It's a miniature Golden Retriever!!", because she looked like a Golden Retriever, only the size of a small dog. I wasn't sure what I was going to name her, because Pluto and Dug (from UP) wouldn't fit since she's a girl, but then when we saw more pictures of her and saw her freckles and fur and a better look at her features, we realized she was mixed with cocker spaniel, so then I named her Lady, after the cocker spaniel Lady from Lady & the Tramp. People that haven't seen her in real life don't always get it because she looks big, and more golden retriever-ish, but she's actually the size of Frank and with her features it fits really well. (Funny enough, when we first decided to get a dog before getting Frank, we were looking for a Pug or a Cocker Spaniel or a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, although I always liked the features and look of larger dogs and grew up playing with a neighbour's golden retrievers and always wished there could be a perfect golden retriever that stayed small and not as hyper, and then we ended up having the best luck in finding Lady!)