Question How did Leslie Cross die?

T

Teegan

Hello
Does anyone know what Leslie Cross died of?
I tried googling it but cannot find a cause of death, or even a consistent consensus on the age of death.

I assume you mean Leslie J. Cross, the founder of Plamil Foods and at one point vice-president of the British Vegan Society? Wikipedia says he was born in 1914 and died 2nd December 1979, so he would have been 65. It's referencing this:
Leslie Cross, vegan for 35 years, founder member of the Vegan Society, and of the Plantmilk Society, died peacefully in his sleep, on 2nd December, 1979.
From: The Vegan Spring 1980 (The Vegan, Spring 1980, page 23)

So it doesn't give the cause of death, but at least you can exclude 'run over by a bus' and murder.

Reactions: Lou
Hello
I tried googling it but cannot find a cause of death, or even a consistent consensus on the age of death.
My father died from heart failure in his sleep due to prolonged use of barbiturates. He was an insomniac and the meds prescribed then was barbiturates. A childhood injury left damage to his spine which caused the insomnia. Jon Cross

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt and Andy-vegan
I assume you mean Leslie J. Cross, the founder of Plamil Foods and at one point vice-president of the British Vegan Society? Wikipedia says he was born in 1914 and died 2nd December 1979, so he would have been 65. It's referencing this:

From: The Vegan Spring 1980 (The Vegan, Spring 1980, page 23)

So it doesn't give the cause of death, but at least you can exclude 'run over by a bus' and murder.
My father was born in 1910 and not as quoted in the magazine. He died in December 1979 from heart failure brought on by prolonged use of barbiturates. A childhood injury to his spine left him an insomniac and the only med prescribed then was barbiturates. He died at home of heart failure in his sleep on sat/sun 2nd/3rd Dec. 1979. Jon Cross

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt and Andy-vegan
You're welcome, I do want the record straight as my dad was an important cog in the wheel where Veganism is concerned. I think I was the 1st vegan child in the uk but not totally sure. I was born in Banbury and Sept.1942 in what was a workhouse converted into a hospital during the war. My mum ran a refugee hostel for Polish refugees in Banbury. We lived in Parsons Street,no. 92 I think. I want there once but I think it's all gone now. regards j

Reactions: Calliegirl and bEt
You're welcome, I do want the record straight as my dad was an important cog in the wheel where Veganism is concerned. I think I was the 1st vegan child in the uk but not totally sure. I was born in Banbury and Sept.1942 in what was a workhouse converted into a hospital during the war. My mum ran a refugee hostel for Polish refugees in Banbury. We lived in Parsons Street,no. 92 I think. I want there once but I think it's all gone now. regards j
It's an honour to have the UK's potentially first vegan child here on the forum! Yes, agreed, it's important to get the record straight on this kind of question. It sounds like you've probably lived a long and interesting life.

• Agree
Reactions: bEt and Val
Yes, I sometimes wonder where it's all gone though! Time is flying by now, or seems to be. The only problems i've had really as far a Veganism goes is when I'm on hols abroad, but I've managed so so far. Now it's easier cos more places are offering Vegan foods than ever before. It suddenly seems to have taken off over the past 2-3yrs. I don't think everyone is doing it for animal rights though, most are for health reasons. I read an article the other day about global diets and how much we will have to change to cope with the extra billions. Scientists are now saying it's much more cost effective to grow crops to replace meat per acre which will also lessen the CO2 footprint. Tell us something we didn't know already! It was hard in the early days.I was bullied at school for being different, it wasn't easy to find the right foods. Luckily my dad was a keen gardener, we had about 1/3 acre and a lot of if was used for growing crops and fruit. We had 2 Apples, 3 Plum, 1 Pear & 1 Cherry trees. Many different fruit trees and bushes and most veg you can name. We had a very healthy diet. My sister, Sally, and I were asked to go to a N.London Hosp, I forget the name, for tests and we stayed there a week. They performed every test you can think of on us and at the end of the week, the only comment they could make was "It's unhealthy to be as healthy as these 2 children are!"! They couldn't believe, at that time, that the Vegan or Vegetarian diet was safe. I could go on forever about things that happened to us and what it was like. Very different now although some of my friends are a bit jokey about it. But I don't mind, I've had a lifetime of it and it's water on a ducks back now. Sorry to rabbit on! cheers j

I go to Banbury town centre quite often when I visit the UK. I have close family that live nearby and Banbury station is convient when I travel from Gatwick. I don't recall having been to Parsons St and as you say, many things have changed in the town.

That's interesting to know that you were the very first child to be bought up as a vegan. I can only imagine the huge challenges your parents had as back in that era, meat and dairy was believed to be healthy, especially for growing children.

Did your mum run the refugee hostel in 1942 ? That must have been a very interesting job to have helped refugees.

I'd be eager to know whether your sister and children (if you have any) are also vegans.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Hi, My mum ran the hostel all through the war. After it was all over we moved to my g/parents place in Cowley near Heathrow. Then we found a place in Denham, Bucks. and moved there where I grew up. My father died in that home. I had moved to the E Mids by then. My daughter is Vegan but my son chose not to follow that path. I'm disappointed but one can't dictate to others how they should live their life. I am not certain about being the 1st Vegan child, I'm not sure if Adrian Ling, who runs Plamil Ltd. now, is a month or two older or younger than me. I'll have to ask him next time we talk. It was difficult in the early days but it's a lot easier now to have a Vegan diet. You may be interested in this lady, she is Vegan and makes some amazing stuff and sells some of it my mail. "lottiesveganbakery@gmail.com" I came across her a while back and we've chatted lots, she's an amazing woman. She has a web site, it's worth a look. regards jc

Yes, I sometimes wonder where it's all gone though! Time is flying by now, or seems to be. The only problems i've had really as far a Veganism goes is when I'm on hols abroad, but I've managed so so far. Now it's easier cos more places are offering Vegan foods than ever before. It suddenly seems to have taken off over the past 2-3yrs. I don't think everyone is doing it for animal rights though, most are for health reasons. I read an article the other day about global diets and how much we will have to change to cope with the extra billions. Scientists are now saying it's much more cost effective to grow crops to replace meat per acre which will also lessen the CO2 footprint. Tell us something we didn't know already! It was hard in the early days.I was bullied at school for being different, it wasn't easy to find the right foods. Luckily my dad was a keen gardener, we had about 1/3 acre and a lot of if was used for growing crops and fruit. We had 2 Apples, 3 Plum, 1 Pear & 1 Cherry trees. Many different fruit trees and bushes and most veg you can name. We had a very healthy diet. My sister, Sally, and I were asked to go to a N.London Hosp, I forget the name, for tests and we stayed there a week. They performed every test you can think of on us and at the end of the week, the only comment they could make was "It's unhealthy to be as healthy as these 2 children are!"! They couldn't believe, at that time, that the Vegan or Vegetarian diet was safe. I could go on forever about things that happened to us and what it was like. Very different now although some of my friends are a bit jokey about it. But I don't mind, I've had a lifetime of it and it's water on a ducks back now. Sorry to rabbit on! cheers j
Hello, Jon!:wave: Thank you for your messages! For me, it's such an honor to get to know about the life facts of a man like you and your huge experience on this matter. As a foreigner, i have always been very curious how veganism and healthy lifestyle have been winning their positions in other countries across the world. It IS interesting.:hug: /Best regards from Russia, Val.

• Agree
Reactions: bEt
Hi, My mum ran the hostel all through the war. After it was all over we moved to my g/parents place in Cowley near Heathrow. Then we found a place in Denham, Bucks. and moved there where I grew up. My father died in that home. I had moved to the E Mids by then. My daughter is Vegan but my son chose not to follow that path. I'm disappointed but one can't dictate to others how they should live their life. I am not certain about being the 1st Vegan child, I'm not sure if Adrian Ling, who runs Plamil Ltd. now, is a month or two older or younger than me. I'll have to ask him next time we talk. It was difficult in the early days but it's a lot easier now to have a Vegan diet. You may be interested in this lady, she is Vegan and makes some amazing stuff and sells some of it my mail. "lottiesveganbakery@gmail.com" I came across her a while back and we've chatted lots, she's an amazing woman. She has a web site, it's worth a look. regards jc

I would have thought that having been bought up by vegan parents, it would have a strong influence on one's own choice.

Paul McCarney's children are all vegetarian and I assume that it was because they were bought up in the belief of not having to slaughter animals to be able to eat. I often wonder if I had been bought up as a veg*an, what choice would I have made in later life ? Anyway, I really do regret not having been bought up in a veg*an family and think that people like you are very lucky.

Is your sister and her children (if any) also vegans ? It seems like you have lived in many places in the UK. Are you currently based in the E. Midlands ?

How did your dad invent plant based milk ? I'm not familiar with the Plamil history and didn't realise that it was a Kentish based firm.

Reactions: Val
Thank you for telling us of your experiences, @Jon. You and your father were and are true pioneers! I'm sorry about your father; even though it's been a long time, our parents are always a big part of our lives. My Dad and Mom drove me nuts now and then, but I suppose that went both ways, and I'm glad I let them know how much I appreciated them when they were still here.

• Friendly
Reactions: bEt, Jon and shyvas
Thank you for telling us of your experiences, @Jon. You and your father were and are true pioneers! I'm sorry about your father; even though it's been a long time, our parents are always a big part of our lives. My Dad and Mom drove me nuts now and then, but I suppose that went both ways, and I'm glad I let them know how much I appreciated them when they were still here.

I agree and it would have been interesting to have continued the conversation.

That is indeed very thoughtful of you Tom, to have let your parents know of your appreciation.

We very often take it for granted that people will automatically just know how we feel about them. However, it's always comforting when you actually tell them so.

• Agree
Reactions: bEt
Hi dear Jon.

I'm a vegan activist and your father inspire me to make an educational activist with the basis from the essential message of your father who I and other partners think that was ahead of his time.

In that email can I contact you for some questions about your father vegan live? Do you have some social network account?

Last edited:
I would have thought that having been bought up by vegan parents, it would have a strong influence on one's own choice.
Is this her website?

Hello
My father died in his sleep due to heart failure brought on by a lifetime of prescribed sleeping pills. He had an accident as a boy which caused insomnia and was prescribed the pills all his adult life. I'm not sure of the exact date but it was in the late 70's. I don't have his death cert. He was born in 1911 in Llandrindod Wells in April.

Paul McCarney's children are all vegetarian and I assume that it was because they were bought up in the belief of not having to slaughter animals to be able to eat. I often wonder if I had been bought up as a veg*an, what choice would I have made in later life ? Anyway, I really do regret not having been bought up in a veg*an family and think that people like you are very lucky.

Is your sister and her children (if any) also vegans ? It seems like you have lived in many places in the UK. Are you currently based in the E. Midlands ?

How did your dad invent plant based milk ? I'm not familiar with the Plamil history and didn't realise that it was a Kentish based firm.
My sister passed over in 1985 because of a brain problem. I lived in Denham, Bucks with my parents. when I married I lived in Iver, Bucks about 15 mins from my parents and later moved to Mansfield Woodhouse, Notts. and I'm still here. I have 2 offspring, one of which is vegan and one has gone by the wayside. I also have another daughter from my 1st marriage who is also not vegan. I'm sorry 2 of them aren't but it's their life and I can't live it for them.

Hi dear Jon.

I'm a vegan activist and your father inspire me to make an educational activist with the basis from the essential message of your father who I and other partners think that was ahead of his time.

In that email can I contact you for some questions about your father vegan live? Do you have some social network account?
You can contact me at scubajon72@gmail.com. Sorry for the delay but I rarely come on this site. j