Hot Chocolate!

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Brought some Green & Black's hot chocolate the other day and It tastes brilliant!

I used sweetened soy milk to substitute cows milk :)

Do you know of any other vegan hot chocolates?

I buy Oatley Chocolate drink, it's already made in a carton, but you can heat it up in a saucepan or have it cold. It's lovely and creamy either way.

Reactions: Damo
No, seriously.

Chocolate syrups, the kind you put in coffees etc. and can buy at your local coffee shop, are almost always vegan. You can make hot chocolates from them and there are tons of brands, including Sweet Freedom (an entirely vegan range).

Whittard even do different kinds of chocolate powders that are vegan (some of them aren't, however, you need to check).

Or I just buy vegan chocolate bars/buttons and melt them down. Dark chocolate bars, the kind you can buy in corner shops, are often vegan. But Aldi also sell a 60% chocolate bar which is vegan, too. Montezuma do a 54% vegan chocolate.

Plamil sell 'chocolate flakes' that are ideal for melting into warm mugs of vegan milk. Their range is entirely vegan as well.

Yeah... I've never had issue making a vegan hot chocolate.

Oh. I literally just assumed most hot chocolates contained powdered milk because of the "chocolate" within them.. I'll have to do a little more exploring the next time I'm at a supermarket!

Reactions: winter.frost
I am pretty sure Cadburys Cocoa is vegan but I admit I have not checked. But yeah there are a lot of chocolate non-dairy milk. I seem to recall that the alpro choc milk was quite thick - I often would dilute it.

Cadbury's 'may contain milk' because it's made in the same factories along with their other products - totally up to the individual whether that's suitable or not.

Oatly do a wonderful chocolate milk too! You're right I forgot about all the chocolate milks there are. I found a wonderful almond chocolate milk but I can't remember the brand.

I love Oatly's cartons, funny little stories...

[GALLERY=media, 175]Oatly Carton by Damo posted Jan 8, 2016 at 11:36 AM[/GALLERY]

• Haha
Reactions: 1 person
I've found Sweet Freedom Choc Shot Liquid Chocolate. It's lovely. I have two teaspoons with one teaspoon of agave syrup and a tiny dash of milk. Tastes very chocolatey. I suppose you could add it to Oatly to make it more intense. Apparently it's for all kinds of uses, including having on toast or fruit. Of course I found it in Holland and Barrett, it would be hard to be vegan on the Isle of Wight without H&B.

I bought some raw cacao (£5 for a massive bag from Costco) and mix it with some warm almond or non-dairy milk. I also discovered you can put powder in a Nespresso milk frother which makes the best hot chocolates ever! Much cheaper than buying individual packets

Zombie thread alert.

I like it when someone unearths a dead thread.

I had no idea we had this thread.

I have hot chocolate almost every morning. First thing if its cold. I don't have coffee till after breakfast.
I used to buy Silk's chocolate favored protein drink and just heat it up. but its become hard to find
I bought some chocolate flavored protein powder and I now make hot chocolate with that and soy milk
My favorite is a seasonal item at Trader Joe's: Hot chocolate Sticks

I saw a hot chocolate flavored protein powder on Amazon. I may try that next time.

Reactions: KLS52
  • Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Brian W
Thanks. I have never seen that, or heard about it.
it seems sort of expensive. like $2 per serving.
It is expensive so I usually only order when there is a sale. I got on their email list to get specials. It is a company I like to support though.

Reactions: Lou
It is expensive so I usually only order when there is a sale. I got on their email list to get specials. It is a company I like to support though.
Cool. I'll sign up.

oh, they want to text me stuff. I guess that is ok

oh, they just texted me a 10% off .

what's your favorite?

Last edited:
Zombie thread alert.

I like it when someone unearths a dead thread.

I had no idea we had this thread.

I have hot chocolate almost every morning. First thing if its cold. I don't have coffee till after breakfast.
I used to buy Silk's chocolate favored protein drink and just heat it up. but its become hard to find
I bought some chocolate flavored protein powder and I now make hot chocolate with that and soy milk
My favorite is a seasonal item at Trader Joe's: Hot chocolate Sticks

I saw a hot chocolate flavored protein powder on Amazon. I may try that next time.
Lol at zombie thread. 😁

I also sometimes make my own.
1 cup of soy milk
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
1 tsp sugar

Not sure this is ideal but it works and its easy to remember.

Cool. I'll sign up.

oh, they want to text me stuff. I guess that is ok

oh, they just texted me a 10% off .

what's your favorite?
I like the mint chocolate and I combine it with the coffee and it's really good. I get the unsweetened Happy Brain coffee.