TV & Film Horror/Thriller & Comedy Movie Recommendations

Lord Snot

Parsley Provider
Reaction score
I've been a member of LoveFilm for about a year and I'm struggling a little bit to keep my waiting list filled up. What are your favourite in the above genres?

I really don't like action, spy movies or space movies. I like disaster movies, stuff about monsters, psychological thrillers, gore fests, any comedy besides romantic comedies and I also like drama if it isn't too depressing.

Reactions: ledboots
Let's see ... There are a lot of interesting material there in the strange but pleasantly stimulating land between monsters and comedy. A couple of memorable ones:
  • Bad Taste (1987) by Peter Jackson before his talent was wasted on the LOTR movies.
  • Braindead (1992) also by Peter Jackson, same as above, maybe not quite as original, and more blood and mess.
  • Army of Darkness (1993) a.k.a. Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness
  • The Troll Hunter (2010) ("different" and Norwegian)
I'm also trying to remember a particularly funny vampire movie about a (Swedish?) professor and his helper who travels to Transilvania in the winter.

And then there was this monster movie, I'm guessing from the nineties, about some people who land or crash a (yellow?) plane on a remote island and encounter some laughably fake-looking green monsters ... I'm hopeless when it comes to remembering movie titles and movie plots I'm afraid :)

Reactions: ledboots
I'm also trying to remember a particularly funny vampire movie about a (Swedish?) professor and his helper who travels to Transilvania in the winter.

Are you thinking of The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck? It's a Roman Polanski film. I saw it many years ago and remember it being funny.

Reactions: Second Summer
Are you thinking of The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in My Neck? It's a Roman Polanski film. I saw it many years ago and remember it being funny.
Ah, yes! That's it! Just looked it up on IMDb. Thanks, beanstew!

Thanks IS :)

Bad Taste isn't available for rent (sadly, it sounds good) and I've already rented Troll Hunter. I've added Braindead and Army of Darkness, will report back what me and Mr Snot think.

Have you seen The Cabin in the Woods?

Joss Whedon (Firefly) gives his twisted all to this film so it's well worth seeing. He actually tips his hand fairly early in the film but that's actually to his credit, as it gets the whole 'what's going on' thing out of the way and gets right into the 'omg this is so f-cked up' which is where the actual fun starts.

I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Second Summer
I really want to see that but it isn't available for rent yet. I have it on my wishlist for when it does become available.

I've just got into the Hannibal Lecter series again, both the books and the movies. I've seen Hannibal, Hannibal Rising and Red Dragon in the last few weeks and I loved them all. Lecter has got to be one of the best 'baddies' ever created, especially in the novels.

^ That film was a lot better than I expected!

I still haven't seen Cabin in the Woods.:rolleyes: