TV & Film Anime - General Thread

Envy

Just lazing around
Reaction score
Despite me knowing that the average person here isn't all that interested, I might give it a try anyway. On a related side-note, I see people have a bit of prejudice about anime, just saying that it's people with big eyes doing ninja stuff, when it's in fact quite a diversity in anime, with genres such as horror, psychological, thrillers, romance, not much unlike other stuff like regular movies and such. Well, I suppose that they big eyes are quite hard to avoid at some times, but anyway...

For you who don't know, the most common definition of anime is "animated cartoon or movie created in Japan", but as of lately, similar stuff has been created in other parts of the world, making the line between "anime" and regular "cartoon" a bit harder to distinguish.

In the "West", there are some animes that even comes into the mind of those that may not watch anime when reflecting upon it, usually based on the fact that they are a few of the ones that actually have aired there such as Sailor Moon, Naruto, Ergo Proxy, and most notably, Dragonball.

Regardless, if I were to recommend a few animes for the uninitiated based on the genre, it would probably be like this. The good thing about those, unlike some of the other animes, are that they are relatively short, ranging from 1-24 episodes, or in some cases, 1-3 seasons. I haven't watched all of them so I can't vouch for the quality of all the examples, and in most cases, they intermingle in other genres as well, and some of the titles may be misplaced as a clear definition is hard to state. Most of these have mangas (comic) as well, which often are the original work of it, thus staying closer to the intent of the creator.

Ah, those that I pick are obviously going to be biased a bit towards my tastes, so the big image is a better choice for a more neutral recommendation.

Action - Cowboy Bebop , Black Lagoon , Deadman Wonderland
Comedy - Azumanga Daioh , Cromartie High School , Sayonara, Zetsubo-Sensei
Drama - Welcome to the NHK , Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica , Gunslinger Girl
Gambling - Akagi , Kaiji , Legendary Gambler Tetsuya
Horror - Hellsing Ultimate , Paranoia Agent , Higurashi - When They Cry
Romance - Honey & Clover , 5 Centimeter Per Second , Mirai Nikki
Slice of Life - Beck , Minami-ke , Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Sport - Hajime no Ippo , Slam Dunk , Eyeshield 21
Psychological - Serial Experiments Lain , Neon Genesis Evangelion , Ergo Proxy
Thriller - Monster , Perfect Blue , Paprika

For further examples, one might want to check out this chart.

1271175102012.jpg

I'm not all that knowledgable, but I do love anime. The studio ghibli films are awesome - princess mononoke is my favourite. In terms of series, I like excel saga, hellsing, cowboy bebop, and what little I've seen of death note (I just got the full box set for my birthday and can't wait to watch it all).

Death Note is good, but I never took my time watching it, could definitely recommend it as well.

Alas, when I think about it, I always imagine this (SPOILER for characters from the manga)

Death_note_in_a_nutshell.jpg

Also, I've only seen Howl's Moving Castle, but Studio Ghibli is quite established in Western mainstream, so I didn't include it.

I'm not all that knowledgable, but I do love anime. The studio ghibli films are awesome - princess mononoke is my favourite. In terms of series, I like excel saga, hellsing, cowboy bebop, and what little I've seen of death note (I just got the full box set for my birthday and can't wait to watch it all).

Princess mononoke is too cool.

I named my late hamster after her.

Envy - Ha, that's awesome.

I saw an incredible three-person play version of howl's moving castle narrated by Stephen Fry.

That sounds quite interesting.

ooo I saw perfect blue when I was studying film at college, it's an interesting watch.

Yeah, I heard that it's pretty good.

If I ever break out of the backlog-curse, I might watch it.

Ok, so I'm ready to be initiated...starting with the thriller ones.
First question, I get to 'watch' them right? Or are they like comics? I'm more of a watcher than a reader, lol.

Ah yes, you watch them, as they are animated cartoons.

For example, this is the opening to Monster.

I know nothing. But I did love death note & all the studio Ghibli films.

More likely to watch films than a series though as it's less time consuming.

Howl's Moving Castle <3. I love that the most. More than Spirited Away which everyone goes on about. Second is Kiki's Delivery Service. :D

Reactions: Francesca_Bee
Perfect Blue and Paprika are both movies, if I remember correctly.

Ah yes, you watch them, as they are animated cartoons.

For example, this is the opening to Monster.

This video contains content from Starz Media, LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

MG_LMAO_F.gif

This video contains content from Starz Media, LLC, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

MG_LMAO_F.gif

Ironic, considering that it's usually the other way around.

This working for ya?

It's been awhile, but I used to like Berserk, Rouroni Kenshin, Hunter x Hunter, Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Ninja Scroll, Death Note and anything by Miyazaki.

I haven't heard of most of your recommendations. I will keep them in mind next time I'm looking for something new to watch.