Home Fruit Growing

Pickle Juice

Reaction score
I've got a lot of old grape vines around here, that seem to grow like weeds and produce loads of grapes without much effort on my part.

I also have a persimmon tree.

I want to have huge blackberry thickets along my property boundaries so I don't have to build a wall or a fence to keep the dogs in, so I have taken twenty four blackberry cuttings I am hoping will take root.

I have some fig cuttings that have taken root and a couple are growing some good sized leaves. I may take a few more. I love fresh figs.

I am also going to put in strawberries.

I've got a monster blackberry bush in the backyard. I cut some of it down two weeks ago because we need to fix a board on the back of the shed and paint it. I left the branches I cut laying on the ground to dry out for a few days before putting them in the yard waste container. The dang things were already growing into the ground when my husband went to put them in the container. I doubt you'll have any problems getting those blackberries to take root. Around here they are tenacious. I love having it though because some animal lives under it, there's a hole in the ground and the blackberry bush provides protection from my dogs harrassing the animal and from cats and whatnot. And of course I love eating the blackberries off it every year. I let the chickens out in the main yard when I pick blackberries and they follow me around picking the ones they can reach. :)

We've also got two cherry trees, a fig tree, a peach tree, blueberry bushes and strawberries.

I hope to put in fruit trees eventually. I have an acre, and I would love peach and cherry trees.

I planted a garden last year but didn't do anything at all this year. Without even trying my onions, cilantro, broccoli and strawberries came back!! Damn animals always get my berries though and I didn't pick my broccoli time so it went to seed.

In May we planted strawberries, gooseberries and raspberries. I think we *may* get a few strawberries this year because I can already see the buds but I'm not anticipating anything else until next summer.

I'd love to have an acre! We've just got about 0.20 of an acre but we have a corner lot so we seem to have a lot more land space than that and we've definitely got more yard space with not having a neighbor on one side. We planted the fruit trees in a row across the back end of our back yard and they are all dwarf varities. I really wanted to put in a nut tree but I couldn't find any varities that will grow here that don't get really big so we put in hazelnut bushes between the fence and the sidwalk on the side of our house.

My dream is to win the lottery then buy myself a nice house with lots of LAND! Then I can rescue some cows and other farm animals, have a beautiful garden, an orchard, and a huge vegetable patch.

We have a few gooseberries! They are small and not ripe, but I'm happy that we will get a small yield this year. The gooseberry bush is doing well, and most of the other fruit plants, but there is one raspberry bush stalk that hasn't sprouted any leaves. I don't know whether to give up with it or if it might start growing?

Tonight I got to eat strawberries that had still been on the plant 5 minutes before. :lick:

We have gooseberries and rhubarb as well.

There were 3 citrus trees on the property when we bought this house last year; one produced nothing, the other 2 produced very terrible, not quite sure what fruit. They were grapefruit shaped but very bitter, almost like rotten lemon. We are giving them one more try to produce something edible. Hubby wants to put in a mango tree and of course a garden (we have almost 2 acres). When I moved last August from Arizona our 3 citrus trees there had gorgeous looking fruit, hopefully our tenants enjoyed them.