Nutrition & Diet High Fructose Corn Syrup

I believe that processed sugar is to blame for most of our modern illnesses... more than saturated fat or cholesterol combined. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes... it's all about the sugar.

I believe that processed sugar is to blame for most of our modern illnesses... more than saturated fat or cholesterol combined. Cancer, heart disease, diabetes... it's all about the sugar.

That's pretty radical thinking. I can't say I agree with that.

If you feel compelled to add sugar to something, then don't eat it. There's plenty of other fine foods out there.

I stay away from high-fructose corn syrup. Also, the majority of sugar that I consume is the two scoops I put in my coffee every morning, or whenever I wake up. Some days I'll have a second cup or no cup at all.

Oh I agree Scorpius, the data on this are conflicting (as are the data on most everything nowadays). But the mere fact that it isn't structurally the same as table sugar, and is a relatively new man-made food, and requires such a huge degree of processing that it wouldn't even be profitable to make if corn wasn't subsidized in this country... is enough to keep me away from it. I think perhaps this is a bone of contention in our community because it's vegan (where table sugar often isn't) and because it's so pervasive in our foods that we're not willing to give it up just yet because that would mean eliminating even more foods from our repertoire. I have yet to find a sweet relish in the U.S. that is not made with HFCS and frankly it's pissing me off. All just my opinion of course.

For the record, I wasn't aware that HFCS supposedly causes cancer... I was speaking only of the fact that it sends larger than normal doses of unbonded fructose to the liver which in turn can precipitate metabolic syndrome, adiposity, and Type II diabetes.

I think all our foods have cane sugar in them. There is a sugar refinery (and it is vegan!) here and I think it supplies a lot of sugar.

We had to stop getting hunts ketchup after buying two last week because found out that this crap is back in it, I want a non high fructose corn syrup ketchup.

Yep, I will use the ones we have we don't have no choice but after that is gone , I will be going elsewhere for my stuff like that.