High blood pressure on low salt diet

Jools Holland

Forum Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi everyone. I realized not long ago that hyponatremia may have been causing many of my problems, and have since started adding salt to my meals again. However, what I find strange is that when I was putting no salt on my meals, my blood pressure was 140/78. Then, when I started increasing my salt intake, after around four weeks, when I checked again, my blood pressure reduced to 133/78. Does anyone know how this is possible?

Also, I just checked my blood pressure again today (a week since I had a blood pressure of 133), and it has increased to 158. I think this may be because I was putting a different salt on my meals that I can't really taste and so was putting a huge amount on. I will go back to using the previous salt and see what happens.

IMO only - salt may be a red herring for you and it may be other things that are causing your issues and without knowing everything that you eat it would be hard to guess. Do you use oil when cooking or in salads? what percentage of your daily intake is fat? etc etc

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
I think a lot of the stuff we think we know about salt is wrong. I've attached a link below to a NYT article that explores some of the controversies. And if you want to google NYT and Salt you will find a whole bunch of similar articles.
Definitely worth checking out.

A lot of health articles that have controversial conclusions should be disregarded. But this is the NYT. Their health section editors are pretty trustworthy.

I've always been blessed with average or normal blood pressure. But as I get older its been creeping up. My sister gave me a blood pressure cuff she didn't need anymore (she works in medical technology). I have been checking my blood pressure regularly and keeping track of it in the Apple Health App.

My blood pressure varies for all kinds of reasons. Time of day, weight, sleep seem to be the most important factors. My salt intake (i think) is pretty stable. But i should do a little experiment and see how potato chips (which is my main weakness) affects BP.

However, an increase from 133 to 158 is fairly alarming. Did you get 158 more than once and for several days in a row? It could have been an outlier. I have had several of those.

Be sure to eliminate as many factors from your blood pressure as possible. First thing in the morning and before eating tends to be the lowest BP of the day.

And remember that emotions affect BP. My BP can raise a lot if I'm nervous or upset.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/08/health/salt-health-effects.html

Hi everyone. I realized not long ago that hyponatremia may have been causing many of my problems, and have since started adding salt to my meals again. However, what I find strange is that when I was putting no salt on my meals, my blood pressure was 140/78. Then, when I started increasing my salt intake, after around four weeks, when I checked again, my blood pressure reduced to 133/78. Does anyone know how this is possible?

Also, I just checked my blood pressure again today (a week since I had a blood pressure of 133), and it has increased to 158. I think this may be because I was putting a different salt on my meals that I can't really taste and so was putting a huge amount on. I will go back to using the previous salt and see what happens.
Are you eating a lot of processed foods (bread/rolls, pizza, canned vegetables and soup, salad dressings/condiments)? Aside from meat, dairy/cheese, & eggs, those are the top sources of sodium...

Hi Jools,

I usually steer very clear away of offering health advice. But many years ago I was in big, big trouble because of high BP. I am now as fit as a fiddle albeit one of mature years.

Body temperature is renowned for variations from day to day and from hour to hour. And BP is notoriously worse than temperature in that regard. It is no good at all taking your BP infrequently and randomly. You are too likely to obtain rogue results and this will be how you came to question the role of salt.

What matters is the long term trend. I would advise measuring your BP every day and charting the results long term. You should do this at the same time each day and under the same conditions. I found the best way was last thing at night sitting up in bed with legs out horizontally.

Excess salt is bad because it leads to water retention which means the heart has more work to do pumping it all around.

Alcohol is bad for the same reason. But in addition it also piles on the calories resulting in weight gain which is another no-no.

Lou is spot on when he suggests that stress can be a major factor. It is a lot easier to cut down the sources of salt and alcohol than the sources of stress but it is probably the worst of the three evils.

“I gotta be cool, relax, get hip.” Freddie Mercury

Good luck,

Roger.

Jools,

A variance of a systolic of 140 to 133 isn't significant. An average person's blood pressure can easily vary more than that in any given day. If you only check once a day then weeks later, you don't have enough data to draw a conclusion. Even a spike of 158 isn't necessarily cause for alarm. As others have said keeping a regular log taking it at the same time every day, notating what you've eaten, had to drink, and physical activity.

I have kept a log of mine for over 3 years, and I've spotted some trends on occasion and mentioned them when I got my cardiology check ups. So far nothing of concern.

If you're diastolic pressure is fairly constant, that's usually a good thing. When experimenting on yourself, if you can, only change one variable at a time, makes it easier to spot a pattern.

Finally, don't get too excited, after all it raises one's blood pressure :). All the best to you,

Bob

I cut out all that extra salt I was eating and the only salt I get now is just some soy sauce on my sushi or around 12 olives with my meals and after just two days of that my blood pressure dropped down to 123/65 when I had it measured this morning.

I ,as well as my nephrologist (I have Kidney disease),do not pay too much attention to periodic readings. My Dr knows l am vegan and that l walk at least 50 miles per week. I take BP readings every day at the same time and record them to show the DR. When l attend the office the nurse takes my BP and is ready to have me admitted but the Dr sees my recorded readings and puts it down to White Coat Syndrome. My readings are typically 117/75 and l am closing in on 70 years old! ( l only add salt to my french fries).

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I wish you luck monitoring your blood pressure. I think if you eat lots of dark green veg that will also help lower your blood pressure.

yeah! Eating greens that are high in potassium can lower your ratio of sodium. The more potassium, the better your chances of lowering your blood pressure. :D

My BP has been high my entire life. Beginning in my mid-30's. Before becoming an (imperfect) Vegan (age 55) I was on BP meds. I was up to 158/90 ish. Since changing my eating habits I have dropped to 144/80ish...My Dr. took me off of BP medication. I'm still high, I know. But all my other blood work is spot on! I find that if I breathe deeply before being tested my BP goes down, during the day it varies all over the spectrum. I exercise, walking 12-15 miles a week. I jog lightly, lift weights a little too. I drink as much water as I can stand, I take a potassium supplement. I limit salt without getting crazy. I make a point to eat greens every day. Still, I have high BP.

The information I have researched is very confusing. In England, and other parts of the world they don't worry as much as we do about BP. They check it much less than we do in the US. In the US they keep lowering the "normal" so that everyone can take medication I guess.

For me, the fight goes on.

My BP has been high my entire life. Beginning in my mid-30's. Before becoming an (imperfect) Vegan (age 55) I was on BP meds. I was up to 158/90 ish. Since changing my eating habits I have dropped to 144/80ish...My Dr. took me off of BP medication. I'm still high, I know. But all my other blood work is spot on! I find that if I breathe deeply before being tested my BP goes down, during the day it varies all over the spectrum. I exercise, walking 12-15 miles a week. I jog lightly, lift weights a little too. I drink as much water as I can stand, I take a potassium supplement. I limit salt without getting crazy. I make a point to eat greens every day. Still, I have high BP.

How do you sleep? I understand that can affect blood pressure.

Yes as others have noted there can be quite large fluctuations in blood pressure from one hour to the next and one day to the next and one week to the next. Unfortunately doctors are very quick to try to prescribe low dose blood pressure medication based on one or two semi High readings. My dad for example always had a systolic in the low 120s and one time he was at the doctor and he had a 131 and they put him on low-dose blood pressure meds for the rest of his life. Ridiculous. There are a lot of genetic and environmental influences on blood pressure too. Someone could have an absolutely perfect diet and get a ton of exercise but still not have dramatically low blood pressure. I would suggest buying a blood pressure monitor and spending about a week measuring it several times a day and track it all on your smartphone and find out what the deal is. Measure it every day when you first wake up, every day before lunch, every day after lunch, once in the afternoon, and once before you go to bed. Not forever obviously just for a few days or a week and you will see the obvious trends.

I got a good deal on a BP monitor and have been tracking mine. I think once a day is adequate. maybe even less.

Is it possible that some people just have higher BP than others? I've heard in England and other locations around the World doctors check BP one a year and don't over prescribe medication like in the US.

I've had somewhat higher BP since being checked for a physical over 25 years ago. I understand it's not ideal, but the thought of being prescribed more and more medication as I age, so some salesman can receive a star next to his or her name ...gives me HBP.

The best remedy to high bloodpressure is not to worry. Meditating a few minutes a day is beneficial. Your body and emotions follow your thoughts and beliefs. Be aware of what you think at all times and don't identify with your thoughts. They are not who you are. Pay attention to the awareness in which your thoughts come to pass. That will bring you closer to the essence of who you are. It relieves stress. Simply keep salt to a minimum, it's already added to so many things.

If high bloodpressure remains problematic then CBD oil can reduce it.

The best remedy to high bloodpressure is not to worry. Meditating a few minutes a day is beneficial. Your body and emotions follow your thoughts and beliefs. Be aware of what you think at all times and don't identify with your thoughts. They are not who you are. Pay attention to the awareness in which your thoughts come to pass. That will bring you closer to the essence of who you are. It relieves stress. Simply keep salt to a minimum, it's already added to so many things.

If high bloodpressure remains problematic then CBD oil can reduce it.

That is the best advice I've received yet. I've been working on it, but you've hit the nail on the head...I can be my worst enemy.

You can saute the salt on a hot pan and take that extra salt with your food. Not only for high blood pressure patient, everybody should avoid the habit of eating extra salt. It is good for taste and also provided the essential iodine to our body. For high blood pressure, do exercise, avoid junk food.