Help with where to start

Twinmummy2608

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi Everybody,

I have been vegetarian for a little while now and am trying to make the jump to being a full vegan but am finding it quite challenging. I have a husband and two little ones who are unlikely to take this step anytime soon. We currently shop at a big supermarket but I am finding that they don't stock a lot of the vegan foods that I have found on various recipes and blogs.

I wondered if you might be able to suggest where I can best shop along with anything else that I might need to make my life a little easier!

Thanks

Hi,

Where do you live? In the UK the small health food shops are excellent and some of them can offer good advice as well as the “harder to find” foods. Of course they tend to be a fair bit more expensive than supermarkets.

My sympathies have always been with these shops because they are basically pioneers but once the supermarkets see the opportunity for a profit they offer the same thing at prices the small retailer cannot compete with. Of course this is the way of the world and in the end it is a good thing because it means vegan produce is available to more people and that must be good for the animals. An obvious example that has mushroomed in the last ten years is the provision of non-dairy milks.

I think you will find in time which supermarkets will provide you with what. Also it is well worth chatting to the supervisor. They will pass on requests for new lines and somebody will decide if they think it will be profitable. And all of this further helps the cause. Enjoy your journey!

Roger.

Hi Roger, thanks for your reply.

I live in the midlands, UK. I'm just not really sure where to start with it all. I have some cook books on order as I have always enjoyed tasty food and substituted some meat products with quorn stuff or extra veggies where possible.

I would like my family to enjoy some vegan food with me even if they want to eat other foods outside of this so want to make sure that they are yummy!

Hi Everybody,

I have been vegetarian for a little while now and am trying to make the jump to being a full vegan but am finding it quite challenging. I have a husband and two little ones who are unlikely to take this step anytime soon. We currently shop at a big supermarket but I am finding that they don't stock a lot of the vegan foods that I have found on various recipes and blogs.

I wondered if you might be able to suggest where I can best shop along with anything else that I might need to make my life a little easier!

Thanks
Hi Twinmum,
I live in Spain in the winter but my April-September residence is either a caravan in the Lake District or a Narrow Boat in the Midlands. You have some excellent supermarkets in Leamington, Warwick, Rugby and Stratford which will stock everything you need to make some really tasty vegan meals. Like you I was vegetarian first and I find that more than 60% of my vegetarian recipes are either vegan or easily adapted to vegan. Curries and casseroles, pasta, risotto, wraps, muesli, even cakes and puddings. Pizza is a bit more of a challenge, as I have not yet found a vegan substitute for cheese that I like. But when I read how they make those Italian cheeses I loved I quickly decided that a life without parmesan and mozzarella was entirely feasible.
Look here https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?query=vegan
Mark