Help to identify vegan products

MaPM

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi, everyone!

I'm vegan activist from Brazil. Recently I was thinking how to help people (special the new ones in veganism) to identify vegan products, this was annoying me, because, you know, there's a lot of factors for a product be considerable vegan or not...
Thinking about this, I developed an app, which allow the community rating every barcode (foods, cosmetics, medicines...). I've been testing this app here in Brazil for the last months and now I would like to expand the idea for another countries. I need your help, guys, every feedback is very important!
This is a non profit project, my desire is to develop a great tool for the community with community's help!
Besides new people in veganism, I hope this project willl help people with difficulties to read product's ingredients too, as visual 's disabilities people or foreigners, for example.
Who wants to download the app, the name is Veg Check, it is available in Play Store

Reactions: Second Summer
Good idea.

Do you have a plan for dealing with bad actors, who will try to get non-vegan stuff to show up as vegan? Not trying to be cynical but I think that's a realistic concern and if people can't trust the app it isn't much use.

Good idea.

Do you have a plan for dealing with bad actors, who will try to get non-vegan stuff to show up as vegan? Not trying to be cynical but I think that's a realistic concern and if people can't trust the app it isn't much use.

That is a good concern. It could be that if the data is being reviewed by other users they could make corrections. Maybe the users could be scored and get "trustworthy" grades.

I used to use SparkPeople for nutrition data and they allow users to input nutritional data. Some of it was wrong. And not on purpose. Just carelessness. But as a user, it was pretty easy to figure out what data was untrustworthy. It's been years since I looked at SparkPeople, but I think they even provided some kind of thumbs up/down rating to the data.

anyway, I think something like that would be easy to implement.

I don't use IsItVegan much, but I've heard that there are issues with the data, too.

Yes!
Recently I made a button in product details to report misinformation, I check this from times in times. If someone is inputting wrong information I have the option to block this person too.
But fortunately I never saw a case of bad faith :) (and there's almost 5000 ratings)
And if someone put a wrong information at the same time three folks put the right one the app will show you the correctly answer anyway.