Health since going vegan

JoannaM

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi fellow vegans

It's been 7 months since I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan. It's not been too difficult and I feel really great. I haven't lost any weight which is quite disappointing, particularly as I exercise 4 to 5 times a week and limit the amount of processed food I eat. My weight is the most stable it's ever been though, rarely going up or down more than a couple of pounds. I fear my problem with lack of weight loss is my age, as I'm nearly 49.

On the plus side, my moods are great, much reduced PMT and a reduction in periomenapausal symptoms.

I recently had some bloods taken and my iron was low, though my B12 was good. Strange about the iron because I make sure to eat iron rich foods every day, I was taking supplements anyway and I've been giving blood for 5 years.

Definitely no ill effects of being a vegan so far and some real positives. Less headaches, better sleep and a really weird one - I read somewhere that when you stop eating dairy you don't get BO anymore. Well this seems to be real. I'm currently on a Caribbean cruise, sweating as you would expect and haven't put any deodorant on for two days, absolutely no smell whatsoever! My husband thinks I'm minging but won't put his nose to my armpit to prove my point. I'm going to pin that bugger down and get his nose in there at the first opportunity

Anyone experienced this BO phenomenon?

Hi Joanna
Exercise does not result in weight loss. But it is good for your health. The bottom line is "Muscle is heavier than fat." Eating iron rich foods is great but supplements don't work. Counting calories doesn't always work either. Nuts are very high in calories but they don't make you put on weight unless you really go overboard on them. I think we should eat and drink what we know is healthy. That way we will be OK weightwise in the long run.
BTW Cruises are bad for your health. Everyone puts on weight when they're on a cruise. Don't tell anyone but I am much older than you and I think I am far too young to go on a cruise. That's for when you can't walk and can't do lots of stuff that I still enjoy doing - you don't need the details, do you?!. Try a walking holiday in the English Lakes or the Italian Lakes (I like Lake Orta - my secret, don't tell anyone). Don't bother with dieting. Put your name down for a marathon when you get home and start to train for it. If you have to diet, do the Indian vegetarian GM diet, the weight drops off in a week. But no more cruises.
You'll never be as young as you are now, so learn from your mistakes. You will be drop-dead gorgeous and skinny as a rake when you finish that marathon.

I have been vegan for 2.5 months and lost about 4 kg. I lost most of the weight in the first month, and since then it has been going up and down. I am not discouraged though and want to stick to it as I feel a lot healthier and lighter.

I don't know about the BO thing tho haha. Sounds funny.

Reactions: JoannaM
Good to see someone that admits that being a vegan is not hard work (being a coal miner is hard work). Health benefits? I am primarily concerned with the health/existance of lifeforms other than myself. Abstaining from meat eating, dairy products and honey, well, I'd say that all previously executed/exploited lifeforms have benefitted from my vegan lifestyle. My health, however, is of secondary importance, methinks. I have, however, noticed improved physical health and energy. Mentally and spiritually? I sleep much better not being a hypocrite. I am fifty-two years old, and suffered a massive (pre-vegan) heart attack in 2006. My taijiquan and qigong look after my body and mind. I went to the gym, decades ago, and the chap that done a fitness test on me pointed out, quite correctly, that exercise and diet COMBINED is the only way to be. Eat yourself fitter? Ha! A good track by The Fall, but tripe in practice. Exercise and a bad diet is a recipe for disaster. A good diet and a sedentary lifestyle also stinks, methinks. I am pleased that my physical health is good as a vegan; however, if it were worse, I would live with it for the most excellent lack of bad conscience/hypocricy that plagued me as an omnivore/vegetarian. I read stuff from many people that are, seemingly, primarily concerned with their own health, weight, glossiness of hair, complection etc. It rankles something rotten. It is not about us. Not really. We have, as a species, evolved. We are no longer hunter gatherers. A vegan diet is now a viable option for the whole of the human race. Cannibals stopped being cannibals. It's a mindset, not a physical requirement.

Hi fellow vegans

It's been 7 months since I transitioned from vegetarian to vegan. It's not been too difficult and I feel really great. I haven't lost any weight which is quite disappointing, particularly as I exercise 4 to 5 times a week and limit the amount of processed food I eat. My weight is the most stable it's ever been though, rarely going up or down more than a couple of pounds. I fear my problem with lack of weight loss is my age, as I'm nearly 49.

On the plus side, my moods are great, much reduced PMT and a reduction in periomenapausal symptoms.

I recently had some bloods taken and my iron was low, though my B12 was good. Strange about the iron because I make sure to eat iron rich foods every day, I was taking supplements anyway and I've been giving blood for 5 years.

Definitely no ill effects of being a vegan so far and some real positives. Less headaches, better sleep and a really weird one - I read somewhere that when you stop eating dairy you don't get BO anymore. Well this seems to be real. I'm currently on a Caribbean cruise, sweating as you would expect and haven't put any deodorant on for two days, absolutely no smell whatsoever! My husband thinks I'm minging but won't put his nose to my armpit to prove my point. I'm going to pin that bugger down and get his nose in there at the first opportunity

Anyone experienced this BO phenomenon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments, even though some came across as a bit of a telling off! To set the record straight. I became vegan only for the sake of animals, if I wanted to do it for health reasons, there are easier ways. I take flak every day from non-vegans but it will never prompt me to return to my former self as I'm proud to be a vegan.

In terms of my non-weight loss. I have a really healthy diet (even when cruising as I stick to salads , veggies and fruit, mostly. You only put weight on cruising if you are a glutton and gorge yourself on the food. Which I don't) I walk strenuously 3 or 4 times a week and swim fairly fast 2 times a week. It's unusual that I've stopped being able to affect my weight. So, as in my original post, I'm wondering if it's just my age (I'm 48) or was also wondering about soya, my intake of which has increased since going vegan. Any thoughts on soya and weight? In theory it's less calories than milk so should be better. I've read so many conflicting stories about soya, you start not knowing what to believe.

I'm definitely going to give the Indian GM diet a go though when I get back from my cruise and I'm too obese to get through the front door. ;)

I have been vegan for 2.5 months and lost about 4 kg. I lost most of the weight in the first month, and since then it has been going up and down. I am not discouraged though and want to stick to it as I feel a lot healthier and lighter.

I don't know about the BO thing tho haha. Sounds funny.

It's real, give it a go if you're brave enough. Maybe when you don't have to be amongst other people! Well done on being vegan for 2.5 months. :grinning:

Reactions: bratvada
Thanks for the comments, even though some came across as a bit of a telling off!

=>Yeah, I sorta thought that too! But do you even need to lose weight from a medical point of view? Or would you like to be slimmer? My mom says being vegan (whole food plant based) doesn't mean she's as thin as she'd like to be, but she's always thinner than she deserves to be (based on how much she eats, enjoys food and is never hungry). Her BMI is mid-range normal. My dad, though, had to do intermittent fasting because, after 7 years on a whole food plant based diet and exercising, he was still a little overweight. (But he started out fat, so it was progress, just not 100%.) I think it depends on your metabolism. He's one of those thrifty gene people who have to watch their nuts and dried fruit intake, etc. My mom always says she eats more than he does, and she definitely eats more treats on holidays and such. So, if you're not eating processed foods or lots of nuts and dried fruit and still are medically a bit overweight, then you might try intermittent fasting. From your pic though, it looks like you're already a healthy weight.

People used to think (well, some still do) that soy raises estrogen levels and causes weight gain, but that's not true according to recent research. https://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-shouldnt-eat-soy/

That body odor observations has been proven! https://nutritionfacts.org/video/body-odor-diet-2/

Both these videos are from nutritionfacts.org, where a medical doctor reviews research on diet and health. He's vegan!

Thanks for the comments, even though some came across as a bit of a telling off!

=>Yeah, I sorta thought that too! But do you even need to lose weight from a medical point of view? Or would you like to be slimmer? My mom says being vegan (whole food plant based) doesn't mean she's as thin as she'd like to be, but she's always thinner than she deserves to be (based on how much she eats, enjoys food and is never hungry). Her BMI is mid-range normal. My dad, though, had to do intermittent fasting because, after 7 years on a whole food plant based diet and exercising, he was still a little overweight. (But he started out fat, so it was progress, just not 100%.) I think it depends on your metabolism. He's one of those thrifty gene people who have to watch their nuts and dried fruit intake, etc. My mom always says she eats more than he does, and she definitely eats more treats on holidays and such. So, if you're not eating processed foods or lots of nuts and dried fruit and still are medically a bit overweight, then you might try intermittent fasting. From your pic though, it looks like you're already a healthy weight.

People used to think (well, some still do) that soy raises estrogen levels and causes weight gain, but that's not true according to recent research. https://nutritionfacts.org/video/who-shouldnt-eat-soy/

That body odor observations has been proven! https://nutritionfacts.org/video/body-odor-diet-2/

Both these videos are from nutritionfacts.org, where a medical doctor reviews research on diet and health. He's vegan!

Hi Veganteen1

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm about half a stone more than when that picture was taken and losing that would bring me back to a better BMI. I think the thing that bugs me is that I've always been able to affect my weight, and now I can't seem able to.

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look when I get back home on Thursday.

:grinning:

Reactions: veganteen1
I am not sure about the BO thing. I have been vegan for a year and I would say that BO still requires maintenance. Showering daily also helps. My health has definitely improved. My skin is clearer and I am more happy than usual. I also have a partner that I share this lifestyle with, so this might be the reason why living a vegan lifestyle has not been stressful at all. I have also been cooking more and getting creative in the kitchen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be one less person harming animals - thatbronxvegan.com

I have been eating a whole food plant based starchivore diet, since October and I lost most of the weight (18 lbs) in the first 4-6 weeks and have stayed steady ever since. We are also "no added oils" most of the time with a once a week exception of 2 tablespoons of olive oil with our favourite Saturday alio olio pasta meal. I think keeping the oils out of our food is definitely helpful with the weight, I would like to lose another 10 pounds.

We don't eat a lot of soy so I can't comment on that. Tofu maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks and that is about it. Almond or cashew milk is my non-dairy choice rather than soy.

Congrats for sticking to it for 2.5 months and I hope you get comfortable with your weight soon.

Emma JC
ps I am over 50

Try changing your exercise routine by introducing a different form of exercise. Your body may just need a kick start. During the week I do spinning and jogging and try to go for a long cycle 2-3 times a month. I'd also recommend at least 1 HIIT per week. This all works different muscle groups and combines strength, core and cardio exercises.
I was pescetarian for a year and have been vegan for 4 days. Over the last year I haven't lost masses of weight but I feel good, my body responds to exercise better and my stamina has improved and I don't feel sluggish.
Well done on making the transition be at peace with yourself no matter what your reasons were for making the change.

Reactions: JoannaM