Health problems, need help.

pinktomate

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I've been vegan for around five years, since I was fifteen. I was doing fine, but since last year I've struggled with fatigue and concentration problems. I tried to correct the most "common" problems, B12, calcium, vitamin A and D deficiency, poor protein intake, zinc, iron... but nothing has worked. It's frustrating because almost every ******* nutritional problem causes fatigue and brain fog, so is imposible to tell what is wrong unless you try all the blood tests in existence.

The last two options in my mind are a diet poor in fat and omega 3 deficiency (I didn't really consider it till now, because when I was a child I never ate fish, and neither did my family, that aren't vegetarian and always were ok, so I thought it was not a problem). But I can´t keep guessing. I`m a student and I don't have a lot of money to spend buying all the superfood and supplements that, maybe, could help me.

I went to a couple of nutritionist and doctors, but none of them knew how to handle the situation. The best advice was the typical "Just eat meat and everything will be ok". Thank you, Captain Obvious.

If it continues like this, I really think I would give up.

A couple of questions: how common are in vegan problems due to bad fat intake? What other problems could I be overlooking?

I would be grateful for any advice.

PD: sorry for my english.

You can try flaxseeds for omega 3. I put ground flaxseeds in smoothies and almond yogurt. It also adds fat.

Try taking a vegan omega 3 supplement and see if that helps. They're reasonably priced on amazon.

There are many vegans that are as unhealthy as people on the SAD (standard american diet).

You don't state what your meals consist of... do you eat mostly whole foods? or do you eat a lot of vegan processed food?

We don't call ourselves vegan but call our lifestyle "whole food plant based, starchivore, with little added oils, salts and sugars". It is a mouthful... pun intended, however, repeating this to ourselves and to others encourages us to stick to eating whole foods as much as possible and limiting the processed foods. If your diet is full of added oils and sugars and salt then there are any number of illnesses that could result. Our bodies need about 10-15% of our food as fat (not oil, as fat) and that should come in its whole form as in nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, legumes, beans etc.

All the best with your journey and I hope you are able to figure out the source...

Emma JC