US Having trouble transitioning

Emmm

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am currently transitioning to a vegan diet. Ideally I would like to eat whole food plant based. Whenever I try to switch over it feels like my health is getting worse? It's very frustrating. I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I have a dilemma. When I try eating solely plant based I tend to feel really light headed, and it is only relieved when I eat sausage, which I would rather not eat. I have been taking b12 supplements once in a while so I don't think that's what I'm missing. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a food group I might be missing in my diet that could cause this?

Reactions: David3
I doubt if the problem is a lack of micronutrients. Vitamin deficiencies take weeks (or months) to show up. (unless you already are borderline).
That being said you do need B12. Keep in mind that your body can only absorb about 25 - 50% of the RDA at one meal. so you need to have some kind of fortified food 2 - 4 times a day. or you can take a mega dose like once a week. I consume fortified foods (2 - 3 times a day) and a multivitamin. I can't remember what the mega dose should be. but I'm sure there are members here who know.

The most common issue with new vegans is that they just don't eat enough calories. Vegan meals are very nutrient-dense but are not calorie-dense. For instance, a sausage that weighs about 3 oz has about 300 calories. You would need to eat about a pound of tofu to get that many calories.

The light-headedness is just your body running out of fuel.

You might try using CronOmeter or SparkPeople to monitor your calories and other nutrients.

Try homemade smoothies to up your calories. A 12 oz smoothie can contain over 300 calories. And much better than a sausage. :)

welcome to the forum @Emmm and congrats for your decision to take your health seriously and for the benefits that will have for the animals and the environment

to illlustrate @Lou point here is a picture that might help

satiety_oil_chicken_vegetables.jpg

You can eat lots and lots of whole foods and that will satiate and sustain you and if you feel like having something more calorie dense then a Field Roast sausage (or whatever vegan option you can find) is not the end of the world. We ate a meal that included mashed potatoes, a couple of nights ago, and I boiled 7 or 8 medium sized potatoes for the two of us and we ate them all, plus other items.

High Carb Hannah's latest youtube video emphasizes this and she is a good person to watch to get meal ideas.

Emma JC

Tell your doctor you're trying to go vegan and you want to make sure you're getting good nutrition. Ask if they can do a blood test for basic nutrients and other signs of inadequate nutrition.

It's easy to postulate here online that it's probably not a B12 issue, that it's probably about calories, etc. But the safest way to go is just to touch base with a doctor and get a blood test. Today, most doctors are supportive of vegan diets. If your current one isn't, you can probably find one who is.

For calories, try macadamia nuts, baked tofu, peanut butter, potatoes . . . I'll try to think of more stuff. But focus on whole foods more than meat/dairy substitutes.

Also, take a multivitamin and eat some fortified foods. Fortified cereal with fortified plant milk works well.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
A doctor or dietician is always a good choice in these circumstances. As others have pointed out, calories might well be the issue. For the long term though, you will need to take B12 on a regular basis, not just once in a while, but try to learn about other nutrients such as Vitamin D and Omega 3 for example. I'm sure there are plenty of threads to look at here to start you off but a doctor who understands vegan nutrition is the best idea as us non-medical experts can get things very wrong.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Getting regular check-ups is vital. but I would put seeing a dietician as not that important. Blood tests can only tell you so much and depending on your health insurance they can either be expensive or the doctor could be reluctant to order it. Plus dieticians may come out of your own pocket.

For vegans, you should assume you are deficient in Vitamin D, and Omega 3s (and there is no blood test for omega 3). If you are a female you probably should make the same assumption with calcium and iron.
Checking your nutrient intake with a tool like SparkPeople and Cronometer can tell you a lot more. the only caveat is that absorption of nutrients varies.

B12 is a great example. Cronometer might say you ingesting 100% of the RDA, but if you are just taking a supplement once a day you are not absorbing 100%. Fortunately, large doses of B12 do no harm. (BTW, vegans HAVE to supplement B12 ). Iron absorption also varies from person to person. Unfortunately, large doses can harm you. excess iron is shed in our poop. If your poops turn black (and rock hard) you are getting TOO much iron. However, that is only likely if you are taking iron supplements. and if that happens it's easy enough to change your daily dose. Also iron is pretty easy to test right at home if that is an issue.(there is a kit you can buy on Amazon. ) It's really hard to ingest too much calcium (but it can be done and can be dangerous). Calcium is a very bulky mineral so you would have to make a concerted effort with supplements to make you sick.

One thing that some dieticians do is make you a meal plan. but really you don't have to pay someone to do that. there are lots of really good meal plans that you can download on the internet. PCRM has a good one. The other good thing about following a meal plan is that it takes a lot of guesswork out of nutrition. And at the end of three or four weeks, you should have a really good idea of what you need to eat in a day. you can even find different kinds of vegan meal plans. Some are WFPB, some are weight loss, some are for athletes. There are even websites that can generate somewhat custom Meal plans. EatThisMuch is pretty good. SparkPeople is good but not 100% vegan (and it spits out a shopping list).

Once you are off the meal plan you can get Dr. Gregars Daily Dozen Checklist. Its an app but i just use a laminated card stuck to my frig. Personally I find it really hard to check most of the boxes most of the time. but it does give you a goal to try to meet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
You're likely not eating enough fat and calories. Nut butters, nuts (including in things like vegan cashew cheese or vegan pesto) will add fat, protein and calories to your diet without adding oil. Obviously oil works but if you're trying to do oil free, you can use tahini as a base for dressings and sauces to also get some calories and fat from a healthier, non-oil, vegan source.

Other foods to add include avocado, coconut or full-fat coconut milk (the Asian kind in a can), or seeds of various kinds.

There's also the issue of making sure you're eating filling, veggie protein like beans, lentils, peas, tofu, and seitan that should probably help. Good luck.

Getting regular check-ups is vital. but I would put seeing a dietician as not that important. Blood tests can only tell you so much and depending on your health insurance they can either be expensive or the doctor could be reluctant to order it. Plus dieticians may come out of your own pocket.

For vegans, you should assume you are deficient in Vitamin D, and Omega 3s (and there is no blood test for omega 3). If you are a female you probably should make the same assumption with calcium and iron.
Checking your nutrient intake with a tool like SparkPeople and Cronometer can tell you a lot more. the only caveat is that absorption of nutrients varies.

B12 is a great example. Cronometer might say you ingesting 100% of the RDA, but if you are just taking a supplement once a day you are not absorbing 100%. Fortunately, large doses of B12 do no harm. (BTW, vegans HAVE to supplement B12 ). Iron absorption also varies from person to person. Unfortunately, large doses can harm you. excess iron is shed in our poop. If your poops turn black (and rock hard) you are getting TOO much iron. However, that is only likely if you are taking iron supplements. and if that happens it's easy enough to change your daily dose. Also iron is pretty easy to test right at home if that is an issue.(there is a kit you can buy on Amazon. ) It's really hard to ingest too much calcium (but it can be done and can be dangerous). Calcium is a very bulky mineral so you would have to make a concerted effort with supplements to make you sick.

One thing that some dieticians do is make you a meal plan. but really you don't have to pay someone to do that. there are lots of really good meal plans that you can download on the internet. PCRM has a good one. The other good thing about following a meal plan is that it takes a lot of guesswork out of nutrition. And at the end of three or four weeks, you should have a really good idea of what you need to eat in a day. you can even find different kinds of vegan meal plans. Some are WFPB, some are weight loss, some are for athletes. There are even websites that can generate somewhat custom Meal plans. EatThisMuch is pretty good. SparkPeople is good but not 100% vegan (and it spits out a shopping list).

Once you are off the meal plan you can get Dr. Gregars Daily Dozen Checklist. Its an app but i just use a laminated card stuck to my frig. Personally I find it really hard to check most of the boxes most of the time. but it does give you a goal to try to meet.
You may be thinking of DHA/EPA rather than omega 3's, which have to be converted to DHA along with proper ratios of omega 6 and 9. It's easier to get more omega 3's from nuts and seeds, which you need far more of then omega 6 found in oils.
DHA/EPA is only found in sea foods, either fish which get it from algae, or just the algae itself.
I've taken algae DHA for years, and feel better from it. I never was a fish eater, and don't like seaweeds

With B12 you have a choice of methycobalimin or cyancobalimin (and other less known, but I don't know about them) If you have a genetic mutation of MFTHR you need the methylated form, but need to know methylcobalimin degrades quickly so what the label says may not be it's real strength.
I take cyanocobalimin which is very stable. 2000mcg once a week

I would suggest the books:
Plant-Based Nutrition, 2E (Idiot's Guides) - Kindle edition by Hever, Julieanna, Cronise, Raymond J., Jillette, Penn. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com. By a registard dietician

and How Not to Die by Dr Michael Greger

are you sure you're getting as many calories eating wfpb?

I am currently transitioning to a vegan diet. Ideally I would like to eat whole food plant based. Whenever I try to switch over it feels like my health is getting worse? It's very frustrating. I don't know if this is the right thread for it, but I have a dilemma. When I try eating solely plant based I tend to feel really light headed, and it is only relieved when I eat sausage, which I would rather not eat. I have been taking b12 supplements once in a while so I don't think that's what I'm missing. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a food group I might be missing in my diet that could cause this?

Mainstream vegan organizations recommend this approximate ratio of foods (see diagram below). As others have said, lack of calories is a common mistake made by those who are beginning a whole foods, plant-based diet. Our entire body, including our brain and immune system, are fueled by calories. That's why the "Vegan Plate" includes calorie-dense foods like nuts, nut butters, and seeds, and also includes moderate-calorie foods like legumes and whole grains.

1598211146887.png

Reactions: Emma JC