Has Veganism Gone Too Far ? - Veganuary

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
With thousands of people taking up ‘Veganuary’ and with veganism rising worldwide in the past two years - is veganism the future of food, or is it a cult-like religion
that has gone too far?
Chef and meat eater Antony Worrall Thompson says,
‘If you follow it, then don't thrust it down people's throats!’ Whilst vegan of 30 years, Heather Mills says veganism is great for the environment and meat replacements help meat-eaters transition their diet.

I am not a big fan of militant behavior if it is violent, as I don't think violence is the way to solve problems, but making people aware of animal cruelty through peaceful protest can help. If it makes one person think about veganism or vegetarianism, then it's a success in my mind.

I think it comes down to a fundamental difference in philosophy. Some people have no issue with the 'humans are at the top of the food chain" philosophy. But among those people are those with open minds who might be willing to change. My journey started with an offhand comment from a veggie friend who told me that I would never want to eat chicken again if I saw what chickens endured to end up on my plate. I hadn't ever thought of that, having grown up in a society that condoned cruelty to provide food. I get that the chef doesn't want vegans thrusting it down his throat. Having your beliefs challenged is uncomfortable. To me, that's often a knee-jerk, defensive reaction to the guilt deep down associated with eating animals. It's like the people who say they don't want to know how the hamburgers got to their plates; it's their way of avoiding the guilt. They would rather maintain the disconnect because change can be hard.

Reactions: Poppy
I am not a big fan of militant behavior if it is violent, as I don't think violence is the way to solve problems, but making people aware of animal cruelty through peaceful protest can help. If it makes one person think about veganism or vegetarianism, then it's a success in my mind.

Veg*an preachers and militants certainly do not help to promote their philosophy and way of life. However, I would gather that they feel so strongly about animal welfare that they feel that they need to demonstrate in a drastic way.

It's like swimming against huge currents. So even if I don't abide by their methods, I do understand how they feel.;)

Reactions: Val
Veg*an preachers and militants certainly do not help to promote their philosophy and way of life. However, I would gather that they feel so strongly about animal welfare that they feel that they need to demonstrate in a drastic way.

It's like swimming against huge currents. So even if I don't abide by their methods, I do understand how they feel.;)
Oh, yes, I completely understand how they feel. And it is frustrating swimming against the currents for sure. People have different ways of getting their points across. I just think violence makes omnis dig in even further. That said, if it gets one person to think about going veg*n, that's still a good thing.