Has Veganism Gone Too Far ? - Veganuary

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
With thousands of people taking up ‘Veganuary’ and with veganism rising worldwide in the past two years - is veganism the future of food, or is it a cult-like religion
that has gone too far?
Chef and meat eater Antony Worrall Thompson says,
‘If you follow it, then don't thrust it down people's throats!’ Whilst vegan of 30 years, Heather Mills says veganism is great for the environment and meat replacements help meat-eaters transition their diet.

PTree15

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I am not a big fan of militant behavior if it is violent, as I don't think violence is the way to solve problems, but making people aware of animal cruelty through peaceful protest can help. If it makes one person think about veganism or vegetarianism, then it's a success in my mind.

I think it comes down to a fundamental difference in philosophy. Some people have no issue with the 'humans are at the top of the food chain" philosophy. But among those people are those with open minds who might be willing to change. My journey started with an offhand comment from a veggie friend who told me that I would never want to eat chicken again if I saw what chickens endured to end up on my plate. I hadn't ever thought of that, having grown up in a society that condoned cruelty to provide food. I get that the chef doesn't want vegans thrusting it down his throat. Having your beliefs challenged is uncomfortable. To me, that's often a knee-jerk, defensive reaction to the guilt deep down associated with eating animals. It's like the people who say they don't want to know how the hamburgers got to their plates; it's their way of avoiding the guilt. They would rather maintain the disconnect because change can be hard.

• 👍
Reactions: Poppy

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I am not a big fan of militant behavior if it is violent, as I don't think violence is the way to solve problems, but making people aware of animal cruelty through peaceful protest can help. If it makes one person think about veganism or vegetarianism, then it's a success in my mind.
Veg*an preachers and militants certainly do not help to promote their philosophy and way of life. However, I would gather that they feel so strongly about animal welfare that they feel that they need to demonstrate in a drastic way.

It's like swimming against huge currents. So even if I don't abide by their methods, I do understand how they feel.;)

• 👍
Reactions: Val

PTree15

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Veg*an preachers and militants certainly do not help to promote their philosophy and way of life. However, I would gather that they feel so strongly about animal welfare that they feel that they need to demonstrate in a drastic way.

It's like swimming against huge currents. So even if I don't abide by their methods, I do understand how they feel.;)
Oh, yes, I completely understand how they feel. And it is frustrating swimming against the currents for sure. People have different ways of getting their points across. I just think violence makes omnis dig in even further. That said, if it gets one person to think about going veg*n, that's still a good thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nekodaiden The cat mafia boss has put a hit out on my friend... Animals 19
shyvas News The UK Has Left the EU UK & Eire 0
Let's Talk Vegan Has anyone tried KFC's vegan beyond chicken? Food & Drink 9
HaideeHammond Has anyone tried almondcow? Products 11
T Has anyone else cured their dry skin using soap? General 12
Andy_T News "The War On Meat Has Begun - And Vegans Are Winning Comfortably" Social Sciences & Humanities 3
betiPT Has anyone tried to sneak animal products into your food, even though they know you are vegan? Food & Drink 17
V What has your 2018 been like? Lounge 1
P Poll: Which airline has the best vegan food? General 2
M Survey Dissertation study on motivations for becoming vegan and the impact this has on the food they eat. Marketplace 3
Forest Nymph My roommate has this giant turnip! help! Food & Drink 3
shyvas Farm Shop Has Received Death Threats - ''Vegan Mafia'' UK & Eire 0
V Vegan food which has iron in it? Food & Drink 6
Emma JC Forks over knives has a mini movie General 2
V Has anyone felt any real health differences after going vegan? Health & Body 31
E What has been your biggest challenge in transitioning to a vegan diet? Transitioning 12
Amy SF Has this ever happened to you? Lounge 15
P Rarely seen form of mad cow disease has been found in alabama Animals 0
P Plant-based diet has been a great experience General 8
shyvas UK Tiger Has Not Been Put Down - Keeper Killed Animals In The News 3
M Child has white spots on nails Health & Body 7
S Petition: UK New £5 note has tallow in it. General 0
robert99 Hey! America has found some more people to bomb! USA 1
robert99 John Bolton: Iraq has collapsed USA 3
Joe WWW Has Anyone Used Intelius or Similar Pay-for-Info Services? Science & Technology 1
Laytonheat Vegan Has made my skin worse?? General 6
J what fast food options a vegan has? General 10
Calliegirl New Zealand Has Officially Recognized All Animals As Sentient Beings Animals In The News 16
Andy_T Has anybody here already heard about Electric Unicycles??? Environment 14
S Quorn has launched a vegan range Food & Drink 6
Indian Summer News Woman Who Intentionally Blinded Herself Claims She Has Never Been Happier General Discussion 12
Blobbenstein What has Science ever done for us? Social Sciences & Humanities 5
Indian Summer Che has the last laugh? General Discussion 1
rik has anyone made tempeh Food & Drink 6
Spang Russia has lost control of a gecko sex satellite Animals In The News 2
shyvas Britain has 100 Billionaires UK & Eire 5
Calliegirl Silk has vegan recipes Food & Drink 8
Calliegirl Animal Advocacy PETA finally has a worthwhile campaign Animals 21
SummerRain 5 ways veg*an living has improved in the UK UK & Eire 6
Kitties Has Anyone Had To Learn A Computer System At Work? Lounge 5
Marie Has anyone tried the Vegan Cuts Snack Box? General 19
Amy SF Not Everyone Has a Smartphone (Whiny Rant) Lounge 71
Calliegirl Has anyone tried the Esselstyn diet? Food & Drink 8
CrazyCatLady Has being veg*n changed the way you think about animals The Vegetarian Forum 1
das_nut CA In other news, Canada has a law against "corrupting morals" General Discussion 4
shyvas TV & Film JR - Larry Hagman has Died Media & Entertainment 3
Blobbenstein How does it feel to realise that meat(etc) has to go? General 47
Werewolf Girl UK Meat-Free Market Has Grown by 20 Percent The Vegetarian Forum 1
Indian Summer The Nobel Peace Prize committee has screwed up again General Discussion 4
Rosie1 Walgreens has a free 8"x10" Collage offer Frugality 1