Going from low carb/keto to vegan! help!?

Lynnzee74

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
hello there! I'm new to the forum & a newbie to Veganism. If that's the right word!? :) Anyway here's my concern & dilemma: I've been practicing the low carb/high fat/high protein life style for just about a year now & im burnt out & not benefiting from it anymore. Honestly I feel sluggish & tired & after watching "What The Health" on Netflix I understand why!!! Hence my choice to make the switch! A little about me: 43, 5'5 currently 137 lbs and not very active due to my job sucking the life out if me lol! Ok so my concern is piling on weight as I add carbs back into my diet!!! I lost 10 lbs and would like to not gain it back but I don't see how that won't happen when I make the switch!? Can anyone give some advice!? Should I easy my way into Vegan? Go hardcore? Thoughts?!?! :)
Thanks much!
Lynn :)

Welcome Lynnzee!

You may gain a little weight going from no carb to high carb, but that would probably just be water, glycogen, etc. It really still comes down to calories in vs calories out on both types of diets. If an average person ate 5k cals of butter, oils, and meat on an atkins diet, they would still gain weight. I think a diet like atkins works because you are limiting your calories by reducing carb intake. You can no longer have cookies and other treats. If you are following the diet that is recommended on "What The Health" you would sort of be doing the same thing by limiting your fat intake avoiding oils, etc. But I would still recommended counting your macros just to set a diet up if you aren't losing weight. You may find items that are too high in calories.

I'm new to this too, but the "standard" vegan diet I have been seeing is 80/10/10. So 80% of your calories come from carbs and 10% come from protein and fat. That may work for you, or you may need to tweak the fat or protein levels to feel better. I go pretty high protein myself, which works better for me. But again, the big thing is total calories. The nice thing is if you are eating whole, plant based foods, you probably will not get that many calories in a day, which is why most people lose weight right away. But if you do have some vegan processed foods or calorically dense foods, you sort of have to watch out.

As for taking the plunge or easing into it, I think it really depends on your personality. Since you are so used to eating fats and meats, you may want to ease your way in. But doing so could lead to a situation where you do gain weight, since you will be eating some carbs while weening yourself off the unhealthy fats and meats. I just decided to do it one day and did it. But that is my personality. I compete in powerlifing too, so sport performance is important to me. I did some research to find a vegan weight training diet and ran that. I had to make some tweaks in the first couple of weeks, but I was vegan the whole time. I was just adjusting calories and macros. IMO, you could research the diet you want, buy everything you need for it, and then start cold turkey. You will have everything you need to gut through it then. :)

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I am a newbie too, but I switched from a massive meat intake (up to 2# per day) down to nothing overnight. So far I haven't imploded!

Welcome Lynnzee!

You may gain a little weight going from no carb to high carb, but that would probably just be water, glycogen, etc. It really still comes down to calories in vs calories out on both types of diets. If an average person ate 5k cals of butter, oils, and meat on an atkins diet, they would still gain weight. I think a diet like atkins works because you are limiting your calories by reducing carb intake. You can no longer have cookies and other treats. If you are following the diet that is recommended on "What The Health" you would sort of be doing the same thing by limiting your fat intake avoiding oils, etc. But I would still recommended counting your macros just to set a diet up if you aren't losing weight. You may find items that are too high in calories.

I'm new to this too, but the "standard" vegan diet I have been seeing is 80/10/10. So 80% of your calories come from carbs and 10% come from protein and fat. That may work for you, or you may need to tweak the fat or protein levels to feel better. I go pretty high protein myself, which works better for me. But again, the big thing is total calories. The nice thing is if you are eating whole, plant based foods, you probably will not get that many calories in a day, which is why most people lose weight right away. But if you do have some vegan processed foods or calorically dense foods, you sort of have to watch out.

As for taking the plunge or easing into it, I think it really depends on your personality. Since you are so used to eating fats and meats, you may want to ease your way in. But doing so could lead to a situation where you do gain weight, since you will be eating some carbs while weening yourself off the unhealthy fats and meats. I just decided to do it one day and did it. But that is my personality. I compete in powerlifing too, so sport performance is important to me. I did some research to find a vegan weight training diet and ran that. I had to make some tweaks in the first couple of weeks, but I was vegan the whole time. I was just adjusting calories and macros. IMO, you could research the diet you want, buy everything you need for it, and then start cold turkey. You will have everything you need to gut through it then. :)

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I am a newbie too, but I switched from a massive meat intake (up to 2# per day) down to nothing overnight. So far I haven't imploded!

Thanks for your input!! I'm a little overwhelmed to be honest. I also thought the same as you about gradually doing it. And I'm like you: when I decide to do something that I feel strongly about, I just do it. All or nothing! So I guess I answered my own question huh? Lol any web sites you can suggest for diet plans & menus???

Not a problem! :)

It really depends on your goals. I think Youtube has a lot of vegan friendly channels that have "what I ate today" type videos. Many of them follow the 80/10/10 model, eating lots of fresh fruits, veggies, etc. I looked at videos from Jon Venus, Patrick Baboumian, and David Carter. I also read some articles about strength training on a vegan diet. The big thing I saw was that I needed a lot more protein to continue to gain muscle and strength for competing. I also had to find calorie dense foods to get everything in for the day.

My situation is a little different than a lot of folks (being a larger framed, 6'6", etc.), but while I was searching I did see a lot of good stuff on Youtube that would benefit you a lot. Depending on the types of food you like, hopefully one of the channels will be aligned with your eating habits. For instance, some are more about fresh fruits and veggies, while others have mashed potatoes with faux meats. The healthiest is 100% whole food, plant based, but that can be hard to jump into right away. I still use soy meats and cereals to help me get my protein in for the day.

hello there! I'm new to the forum & a newbie to Veganism. If that's the right word!? :) Anyway here's my concern & dilemma: I've been practicing the low carb/high fat/high protein life style for just about a year now & im burnt out & not benefiting from it anymore. Honestly I feel sluggish & tired & after watching "What The Health" on Netflix I understand why!!! Hence my choice to make the switch! A little about me: 43, 5'5 currently 137 lbs and not very active due to my job sucking the life out if me lol! Ok so my concern is piling on weight as I add carbs back into my diet!!! I lost 10 lbs and would like to not gain it back but I don't see how that won't happen when I make the switch!? Can anyone give some advice!? Should I easy my way into Vegan? Go hardcore? Thoughts?!?! :)
Thanks much!
First off, well done for going vegan :)

Cowspiracy converted me to going vegan and then watching what the health made things more clearer! Such a great documentary, right? I also recomend watching; fat, unfit and nearly dead.

Okay, I actually was in the same position. I went from a keto based diet to a more high carb kinda diet straight away. I personally on reflection would have done things differently so here's what I recommend:

1) What's your fats coming from? If animal based; start by making alternative switches; nuts, nut butters, avocados, full fat coconut milk/cream

2) One's you have make that change I would then start decreasing your fat intake and increasing your carb intake gradually. All in all, consuming the same calories as before. Adjust every 1-2 weeks.

We haven't seen Lynzee for 2 years... but...
You have made some errors in your reply. and I think some of them require correction in case someone else reads them.

GMO corn. pretty much doesn't exist. The corn we eat and the corn the cows eat are hybrids. The corn the cows eat is also very low-quality corn. The corn we eat is high-quality corn. Plus cows aren't "designed" to eat corn. or live in such close quarters. That is why they get sick.

GMO wheat. GMO wheat does exist. but it's still not out there. Wheat is also a hybrid. They don't generally feed cows wheat. And the wheat we do eat is generally not GMO anyway. In the USA any product that is labeled organic is not a GMO product.

GMO soy. GMO soy is very common. And especially in animal feed. And there is some evidence that people do or can develop a sensitivity to soy - especially if they eat a lot of GMO soy. However, in America, you would almost have to go out of your way to eat GMO soy. Just look at the labels on tofu and soy milk. they almost all say Organic.

Vegan Keto diet. Yes, it is possible. But why would you? Vegetables, beans, grains, are all mostly carbs. Vegans need those things to be healthy. Nuts and seed have healthy fats but vegans should eat those things in moderation.

Thanks much!

My biggest suggestion is to pack your fridge with the fresh fruits and veggies. Eat as much raw as you can. Pick healthful grains. Nuts of all varieties.

When I first began a vegan diet I was actually raw vegan, I ate all the time! Lost 70lbs in two months. I was struggling with my health, or rather lack there of, I cut out everything that made mess hurt or sick, which left me with raw fruits and veggies, nuts and some grains.

My health went from non-existent to near full recovery, this was 8 years ago. I've gone back and forth over the years with eating meat and dairy, but still I feel best when i dont eat those things. I'm back to vegan, not just raw though, and i feel better than i have in a while!

For dinners we rotate between lentil soups and veggie stir fries. I take a portion of every dinner and make a salad from those ingredients, often adding jalapenos, sunflower seeds or pecans since those are my favorite, raw garlic, raw ginger, kale, romaine lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, basil, cilantro, and whatever else i have on hand, toss in a sweet dressing (lately I'm using raspberry pecan dressing)... I prefer the salad, my kids prefer to cooked version as it's not so spicy and i leave out the jalapenos lol, serve over rice.

Breakfasts are fresh fruits, a fruit/ veggie smoothie, maybe oatmeal but I'm not a big breakfast person the oats are for the kids, I do make myself have some smoothie.

Lunch is usually a free for all or a picnic so we'll have a can of olives, mandarin oranges, garbanzo beans, maybe some bread or crackers, peanuts, cashews, crasins...

I find we're not so hungry for obscene amounts of foods when we eat like this. My family of 6 i can feed for 125 a week on a mainly fresh food diet, and I'm shopping at the expensive store- if I traveled further i could feed is for 75 a week.

I've had 3 kids ( five total) since I first began eating a raw vegan diet, within 3 months of having each kid I've gone right back to 125 without "diet" or intentional exercise, I also wasn't vegan, just a really bad vegetarian lol.

This video put me back on my vegan path, reminding me of my personal experience with health and nutrition.

Attachments

• 20190724_210032.jpg
    20190724_210032.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 20190724_210045.jpg
    20190724_210045.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Take a look on Amazon and search on Keto Vegan recipes - there are lots of books. There's an active Facebook group (if that's your thing) and there are lots of on-line sites.

A lot of diabetics (type 1 and 2) eat keto and some are vegan. I am type 1, low carb, vegan and my diabetes is extremely well controlled. I tend not to go lower than between 50g-120g but I have a vegan friend who is on about 20g and she is type 1 on a pump. She looks to the Facebook group for recipes, and I must say the recipe books offer a lot of choices with nutritious, protein packed food.

Just remember that if you are keto, you'll need to go fairly high fat for the energy but since you've been keto you'll know that.

Last edited:
I was eating a lot more protein and a lot less carbs until I started eating vegan about a month ago. I was also worried that increasing carbs would cause me to gain weight. I have been very pleasantly surprised that not only can I eat more carbs but I can also eat more calories now and not gain weight! I'm eating whole foods, nothing processed, and very minimal oils. I feel much more satisfied and have much more energy than I did before I made this dietary change. I'm so glad I did this.

I think the right way to eat vegan is whichever way keeps you healthy and happy - we are all different, and that's absolutely a good thing.

Take a look on Amazon and search on Keto Vegan recipes - there are lots of books. There's an active Facebook group (if that's your thing) and there are lots of on-line sites.

A lot of diabetics (type 1 and 2) eat keto and some are vegan. I am type 1, low carb, vegan and my diabetes is extremely well controlled. I tend not to go lower than between 50g-120g but I have a vegan friend who is on about 20g and she is type 1 on a pump. She looks to the Facebook group for recipes, and I must say the recipe books offer a lot of choices with nutritious, protein packed food.

Just remember that if you are keto, you'll need to go fairly high fat for the energy but since you've been keto you'll know that.

hi Dizzy

I see you are a type 1 diabetic and that is different, as most know, from Type 2, however, the old theory was that it is sugar that raises blood sugar levels and although I do not suggest eating processed sugars it is now known that fat in the cells of the body that causes sugar levels to rise as the fat in the cells block the insulin from properly processing the sugars.

If you have not heard of this before check out Dr Neal Barnard. Type 2 diabetics can reverse their diabetes by cutting out the fats and Type 1 may be helped by allowing the cells to more naturally process the sugars they do take in.

It is my belief that a high fat diet for diabetics, and for all of us, is not healthy.

Emma JC

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
Yep - I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for a very long time. I maintain a normal HbA1C (which is the definitive test of blood sugars over a period) and have done for years.

I don't follow Neal Barnard or any of the very low carbers - I too don't believe in extremes.

I don't eat high fat either, but if someone isn't eating carbs they'll need to eat a LOT of protein and a little fat or they're not going to maintain their calorie levels.

If I allowed my body to process sugars naturally (I assume without injected insulin?) I'd be in hospital, very seriously ill, in about 24 hours. No way I'm going to do that deliberately! But Barnard's methods are great for T2 and help with control for T1's.

Last edited:
well done! Dizzy for maintaining normal sugar levels, it is not easy and for those that haven't been exposed to diabetes, it is the swings in the sugar levels, spikes up and down, that are most damaging to the body

I maybe didn't write clearly. I am not a low carber, actually quite the opposite and I wasn't suggesting anyone should be one.

I was trying to point out that it is excess fat in the muscle cells that causes the increase in sugar in the blood which leads to Type 2 diabetes. Keto diets, as you point out, have to be high in fat in order to get enough energy as starches convert to glucose which is our energy source.

I also don't follow any one person, I educate myself by listening to and reading books/articles by various individuals that present science based nutritional information.

Here is a link to The Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine's webpage on Type 2 diabetes and Dr Barnard does have a book out called Reversing Diabetes which you can find in most libraries, and also a reversing diabetes cookbook (obviously Type 2 diabetes, not Type 1).

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
Yeah - my friend is diabetic too and we made a vow that we would die with our feet on and our eyes still working. The only way to achieve that is constant vigilance. She's coeliac but not vegan or veggie, so both of us have a different dietary approach to the diabetic "norm".

Oddly enough, a bunch of the T2's on the diabetic board I frequent are low carb/keto (but very meat eating) and nearly all of them are LCHF. They say they're healthy but they don't eat veggies and I have no idea how they maintain bodily health. They have all lost a lot of weight. I don't know how but they are so adamant.

Vegan keto is more than possible - I have a different friend who is diabetic who controls her sugars with keto but is allergic to meats and dairy so she is sort of pushed into eating vegan like it or not. She told me about a Facebook group she belongs to that is focussed on vegan/veggie keto foods.

I think the OP could do it, but would have to be careful if total calorie intake, or her energy levels are going to drop. If I were her I'd do some serious researching first, and get a bunch of recipes lined up or even pre-cooked and frozen, so that there is food easily available in the house.

Yes, Such a great experience with Ketogenic Diet food.
I have used many diet plan in my whole life, but I personally prefered Ketogenic diet food. Because they made this product with low carb with high Proteins.
It also made my day healthy and energetic.

• Sad
Reactions: Gaspard
Wasn't Keto the Green Hornet's sidekick?

"Garry Williams" is a spammer. In each of their 3 posts, they are pushing a specific keto brand product. And, that specific keto product includes animal products. I have reported the posts to the moderators.

I went from keto to vegan. I can give you some advice if you want to. Maybe you should dig into the vegan phylosophy. Veganism is is surely a life style, but there is so much more to it.
Be carful about people who don't know sh*t about veganism and say crap about plant-based diets.
You'll find some support in this forum I'm sure.

Also remember that the Keto diet from a scientific perspective isn't that good for weight lost.

And high protin high fats diets diets cut 10 years of your life:

Last edited:
Based on my experience with weight control and a vegan diet I would do the following

1. Read one book on vegan nutrition. Veganhealth.org is free, short, and will tell you the essentials.
2. Get a free account on cronometer.com. Fill it out every day for a month trying to get 100% of the daily recommendations. This will get you in the habit of choosing the right foods on a daily basis.
3. Weigh yourself daily, first thing out of bed and after going to the bathroom. Log the daily weights into one of those weight control sites that will take the peaks and valleys of your daily weighings and make a trend line out of it. Consider the trend weight, your real weight.
4. Use 2 & 3 to figure out what calorie intake will let you lose no more than 1lb a week ( if you lose faster you will lose muscle mass and get flabby )