Ghirardelli semisweet chips no longer vegan

PTree15

Beach bum
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I posted this in the gripe thread, but I thought I would put it here in case anyone else uses these chocolate chips.

The other day, I went to buy the Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips to make some muffins, and out of habit, I checked the ingredients. The newest ones are now made with whole milk powder. I should have known something was up because they were moved on the shelf to a new location. The previous recipe did not include milk, just the typical allergen warning of *may* contain such-and-such. I can't believe in this day and age of lactose-intolerant people that they would add milk to something that previously had been made without milk. I'm so not happy about this. They will be getting a nasty email from me. I go through a lot of chips because I bake a lot, especially when the weather gets cold. This means I will now have to schlep to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to find vegan ones. I like Trader Joe's, but they aren't exactly around the corner. Boo.

I posted this in the gripe thread, but I thought I would put it here in case anyone else uses these chocolate chips.

The other day, I went to buy the Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips to make some muffins, and out of habit, I checked the ingredients. The newest ones are now made with whole milk powder. I should have known something was up because they were moved on the shelf to a new location. The previous recipe did not include milk, just the typical allergen warning of *may* contain such-and-such. I can't believe in this day and age of lactose-intolerant people that they would add milk to something that previously had been made without milk. I'm so not happy about this. They will be getting a nasty email from me. I go through a lot of chips because I bake a lot, especially when the weather gets cold. This means I will now have to schlep to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to find vegan ones. I like Trader Joe's, but they aren't exactly around the corner. Boo.

Why do you bother to buy chips ? I just use a slab of plain chocolate and chop it up with a sharp knife.;) Moreover, I don't find Ghirardelli chocolate very good.

Why do you bother to buy chips ? I just use a slab of plain chocolate and chop it up with a sharp knife.;) Moreover, I don't find Ghirardelli chocolate very good.
Do you mean like 80% dark chocolate? I guess I like the semisweet flavor for things like cookies and muffins. I'm not sure I'd like the more bitter chocolate in those (I do like the bitter chocolate with red wine, though). I haven't found any plain chocolate that doesn't contain milk unless it super dark chocolate.

Do you mean like 80% dark chocolate? I guess I like the semisweet flavor for things like cookies and muffins. I'm not sure I'd like the more bitter chocolate in those (I do like the bitter chocolate with red wine, though). I haven't found any plain chocolate that doesn't contain milk unless it super dark chocolate.

In the UK and over here we get plain chocolate that contains between 55 - 90 % cacao. I'm sure that I've seen plain chocolate bars in the US.

In the UK and over here we get plain chocolate that contains between 55 - 90 % cacao. I'm sure that I've seen plain chocolate bars in the US.
Yes, but many of them contain milk if they are under 72% cacao. I will have to look harder, but almost all of the ones I find have milk in them if they are under 72%. I will look harder, though, as that might be a better option. I do like the convenience of not having to chop up chocolate. :D

Reactions: KLS52
Yes, but many of them contain milk if they are under 72% cacao. I will have to look harder, but almost all of the ones I find have milk in them if they are under 72%. I will look harder, though, as that might be a better option. I do like the convenience of not having to chop up chocolate. :D

I'm sure that you can get dark/plain chocolate in the US. It only takes a few seconds - easy peasy and works out cheaper than buying chips.;)

Trader Joe's do a 73 % dark/plain chocolate bar.

Reactions: PTree15
I think the chocolate chips are cheaper to buy than the chocolate bar at Trader Joe's. I've looked into buying the bar instead of chips before.

Chocolate Chips 12oz bag - $1.89 - $1.99
Large pound plus chocolate bar 17.5 oz - $4.99

I think the chocolate chips are cheaper to buy than the chocolate bar at Trader Joe's. I've looked into buying the bar instead of chips before.

Yes, that's been my experience also, that chips are a lot less expensive than bars.

Boo on Ghirardelli, and thanks for the heads-up, PTree15.

It chocolate is cheap check the sugar and fat content - it's usually high on the list. I pay 1.98 € for a 200g bar of Côte d'Or chocolate which is excellent for making desserts or cakes.

I never remembered which ghiradelli was the vegan on anyway. I have a couple bags of Trader Joes chips in the fridge so I'm good. Aldi has vegan chocolates too. Those are all cheaper than ghiradelli, and just as good

Reactions: KLS52
I never remembered which ghiradelli was the vegan on anyway. I have a couple bags of Trader Joes chips in the fridge so I'm good. Aldi has vegan chocolates too. Those are all cheaper than ghiradelli, and just as good
I did not know that about Aldi. Good to know.

Shop rite store brand are vegan but I hardly shop there. I buy Trader Joe when I can get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I discovered this sad fact the last time I wanted chocolate chips. :( I don't know why companies do this stupid stuff. Arnold bread did the same damn thing. :mad:

I did not know that about Aldi. Good to know.
I can't say for sure about the chips, it's been a long time since i've gotten those, but the Moser-Ross (sp?) small bars that come in four packs have dark chocolate in different degrees of cocoa, and a nice dark mint bar, and a chili spice dark chocolate (if you like that...) that are vegan. Once in a while they get fair trade bars

I can't say for sure about the chips, it's been a long time since i've gotten those, but the Moser-Ross (sp?) small bars that come in four packs have dark chocolate in different degrees of cocoa, and a nice dark mint bar, and a chili spice dark chocolate (if you like that...) that are vegan. Once in a while they get fair trade bars

The last time I checked, their chocolate chips weren't vegan, but it's been a while since I did check.

Shame they decided to add dairy to their chips. :(
I usually picked out enjoy life chocolate chips.

The enjoy life are super expensive here, more than double what Trader Joe's chips cost.

I think they use the milk powder as a cheap filler, so they can use less chocolate. I could be wrong, but that's what I think it is.

I don't have Aldi near me. [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually by my chocolate from Lidl's which is virtually the same as Aldi's. I usually pay 65 cts for a 100 g bar of plain chocolate which I just chop up. We don't get chocolate chips in most shops over here.