Freezing Houmous

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
The advice I have seen on houmous packets in the UK, is 'not suitable for freezing'.

PACKET 001.jpg

But I have frozen it plenty of times, and it is ok thawed...

What is the advice on packets in other parts of the world, if any?

What do people think about this? Do any of you freeze it?

It doesn't keep that long, so if I want to get a week, or two's worth, it is great to be able to freeze it. I have been using it a lot on steamed veg.

I always freeze hummus. I have some in my freezer right now and I have some in my fridge defrosting as well. The container says to use within 7 days and to keep refridgerated. Once I open it I always use it within 7 days. I also eat it past the expiration date. Sometimes the store will mark down the containers that are getting close to the "sell by" date so I will buy a bunch of them and freeze them for later.

I'm not sure why yours would warn not to freeze. The consistency does change a tiny bit when defrosted, but it goes back to normal once stirred.

It does stipule home freezing. Prehaps Tesco is concerned that the product would not freeze quickly enough to make the product safe ?

However, you can freeze any type of purée or guacamole. Just make sure that it is really well protected and give it a stir when defrosted as the texture may be a little runny.

I always make a huge batch of guacamole and freeze it in plastic containers.

I haven't ever frozen store-bought hummus, but I freeze my homemade stuff all the time. I haven't noticed any difference in either texture or taste. Seems to work fine.

Reactions: thefadedone
My guess would be that it's more about quality than safety. If the texture changes when freezing, packaging I think will advise not to freeze. For things like meat you might not be able to freeze for safety reasons, but I can't think there would be anything more dangerous about freezing hummus than other similar ingredient products that it's okay to freeze (like chickpea burgers!), or anything inherent in chickpeas that is unhealthy to freeze.

You could maybe email them to ask, worst they can do is not reply.