UK Flexitarian and a scientist.

BrianG

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Just saying hello! I am reducing meat intake and my wife has almost eliminated meat and now borders on a pescatarian and has eliminated milk products.

The scientist side of me is curious as to how vegans manage to assimilate enough omega-3’s (the important ones - EPA and DHA) to safeguard their long term health (against CVD, cancer and more)? Everyone on a “western diet” is already way too low in their omega-3 index, avoiding fish and dairy surely makes this even harder?

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Just saying hello! I am reducing meat intake and my wife has almost eliminated meat and now borders on a pescatarian and has eliminated milk products.

The scientist side of me is curious as to how vegans manage to assimilate enough omega-3’s (the important ones - EPA and DHA) to safeguard their long term health (against CVD, cancer and more)? Everyone on a “western diet” is already way too low in their omega-3 index, avoiding fish and dairy surely makes this even harder?
First off, cow milk only has DHA if the cows are fed a supplement in their diet, it's not naturally found in cows milk, same with vitamin D.
Same with eggs, the hens diet has to be fortified.

I rarely ate fish when I did eat meat, so years ago when I learned of algae DHA supplements I tried them and found I had a far better sense of attention and focus. I've been taking them ever since.

I have been switching brands, but the last two times I have bought Vegan Omega-3 from Sapling.

I also add flaxseed to my morning oatmeal and to some other stuff as well.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hi Brian, welcome to the forum. I use rapeseed oil (canola) in cooking, hemp seeds in salads and I take a standard chemist's brand of algae-based Omega 3 which has a combined EPA/DHA of 250mg.

EDIT: and walnuts once a week.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Andy_T
Welcome to VF! I, too, regularly eat walnuts and often add ground flaxseed to smoothies and baked goods. Ground flaxseed makes a great substitute for eggs in baking. I've gotten into chia seeds of late as well and have made several kinds of chia puddings.

Reactions: Emma JC and Brian W
I don't like walnuts that much. My main thing is adding flaxseeds to my morning oatmeal.
I sometimes make OverNightOats with chia seeds. And I have had hemp hearts for breakfast, too.
But I have thought about also adding some Flax seed oil capsules to my supplement routine. Just to make sure.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15

Do a web search on "top sources of essential fatty acids". You will find some vegan sources in those lists, like ground flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, etc.

Researchers aren't sure if everyone can make EPA + DHA from those foods. Many vegan nutritionists recommend taking EPA + DHA supplements made from algae oil ( where fish get it from ).

Good Luck!

Just got this offer in the e-mail
Seems pretty good so I thought I would share.

On Sep 19, 2023, at 4:38 PM, Sapling <hello@takesapling.com> wrote:
sapling logo
vegan d3 k2
vegan d3 k2 tapioca softgel
71bd6b2e-5660-4358-84ba-19bb89ec7a48.png
buy one get one vitamin k2 d3
Remember to reply to this email with the required information.​
No longer want to receive these emails? Unsubscribe.
We Are Fit, LLC 8 The Green Suite #4525 Dover, DE 19901​
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.​
open

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and silva
i'd try that if they sent me an email! Nothing comes up on their site about the vegan D & K 🤔

i'd try that if they sent me an email! Nothing comes up on their site about the vegan D & K 🤔
How about this

According to the instructions, you order the stuff on Amazon and then ... oh. reply to the email... that you don't have...
Maybe I can reply to it for you...
This is their email address that you are supposed to reply to.

They just wrote back....

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your email. Did you purchase our Vegan D3 + K2? We would love to get your free bottle out. Please provide your order number, shipping address, and your choice of free bottle (Vegan Omega-3, Algae Calcium, or Vegan D3+K2).

Best,
Joseph
Sapling Tea