Finally doing the right thing

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I just joined and figured I should share a bit about myself. I have been going through a spiritual awakening for about 2 years now. It all started when about 2 years ago, when I was in Vegas to meet my dad and brother. I had the worst time of my life on a trip. That was the turning point however. It was on that trip that I decided that I was going to do something to change my situation. I started trying to get on the right combination and now, after 29 years I have finally gotten on the right combination to cure me.

Now I am ready to take steps to start reducing my impact on the planet even greater. I have tried to become vegetarian several times in the past, alas each time was unsuccessful. I am very close with my parents and eat meals with them most of the time and they are meat eaters. This is where the problem ensues. I noted last night that I don't really even like meat, I just eat it because they serve it to me. How should I overcome this bump in the road?

Well if you're 29 you could start by preparing your own meals, and offering to cook some of the entire family's meals at least once a week to expose your parents to tastier vegetarian options.

I mean when I was little I had this problem, I actually knew I didn't like meat as a child, and while my grandmother was content to let me eat cheese sandwiches and tomato soup or poached eggs, other members of my family all but forced meat on me like I was gonna die without it until I was at least 11. So I really had to unlearn that anxiety that had been pressed into me unnaturally through parenting, so I get the struggle, I know it's real.

Reactions: Lou
This anxiety is what I feel like I get around where I live. I live in the midst of ranch country, so beef is its own food group here and it's hard to differentiate from that at restaurants a lot of the time. I just watched Paul McCartney's "If Slaughterhouses had Glass Walls" the other day, and now the thought of eating meat almost turns my stomach. I have only been going for a few days without meat, but I just managed to dine at a smokehouse without touching any meat. That is a feat that I am proud of.