Fear of walking

Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
First thing's first this is not a troll thread.

You know how other uni students spend their free time partying? Well I use up mine just getting from place to place.

If I had to pinpoint the moment it all started I'd say it was when I saw this newt on the path outside my flat. I had been a careful walker before this time, shining the torch of my phone at the ground before me at nights as I was iirc when I saw the newt. Since then however journeys have taken much longer as I avoid contact with leaves as I don't what is under them and when there is no other option but to go through leaves I slide my feet along the ground preferentially under the leaves so as not to step on anything. I will stop and look behind myself to double check what a shape on the ground was to see if it was some small animal that I would wish not to be stepped on by anyone. And I have decided not to be out at night, consequently not attending a meeting of the vegans yesterday evening. Obviously my miniscule chance of getting laid by another student this year has been shattered into a thousand tinier still pieces of virginal purity, which sucks. But the worst thing happened last night when my poor timekeeping and walking habits led to me getting off the bus to walk back to the flat after darkness had fallen. So my journey back was going to take even longer than usual as visibility was reduced, but then my phone died with 15% battery remaining. I ended up doing my 15 minute walk for other people in what I think was over three hours.

I had thought in the past about making such a post as this only to change my mind when I decided there's nothing anyone can say to help me. But what have I got to lose by asking. What can I do to relieve the stress of walking the way I do in public and hopefully not be losing all this time in my life going from here to there, aside from the obvious?

Hey man, welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to clarify: is your fear of walking rooted in the fear of hurting creatures like insects ? Or is there another underlying reason ?

Hey man, welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to clarify: is your fear of walking rooted in the fear of hurting creatures like insects ? Or is there another underlying reason ?

Newts like the one I saw, mice, frogs, lizards, etc. If I see an invertebrate I tend to move them out of harms way too. Including once a wasp that was in the middle of the road but I couldn't scoop him up successfully before a car came which ran it over unfortunately.

Elephants are vegan, and I dare say that elephants step on other creatures sometimes. In my opinion accidentally stepping on small creatures would not make you less of a vegan. Humans do it, animals do it ... it is simply how nature works.

Elephants are vegan, and I dare say that elephants step on other creatures sometimes. In my opinion accidentally stepping on small creatures would not make you less of a vegan. Humans do it, animals do it ... it is simply how nature works.

People eat meat too but I can choose not to just as I can choose to be more careful not to step on things

Stepping on a snail is one of the worst things ever. I'm always picking them up from the middle of the pavement and putting them in people's gardens, hoping the house-owner hasn't seen me. It's a problem and you are not alone in feeling this way. If you have the time to spend walking slowly caring for the insects on your way then do it, I think we all should stop hurrying and hurting things as we rush about, often for no good reason. Good for you.:)

Stepping on a snail is one of the worst things ever. I'm always picking them up from the middle of the pavement and putting them in people's gardens, hoping the house-owner hasn't seen me. It's a problem and you are not alone in feeling this way. If you have the time to spend walking slowly caring for the insects on your way then do it, I think we all should stop hurrying and hurting things as we rush about, often for no good reason. Good for you.:)

It's funny that you should mention snails and having time. I was late to pick up a take away one wet night for moving every single snail off of the path I was walking on. I felt so bad for getting there after the place closed.