Fall/Autumn Comfort Foods

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey everyone!

I love Autumn as it is a beautiful time of year here for us in Canada. One of my favorite things the cooler weather brings is the need for comfort foods. Well, I can't speak for you, but it's a need for me. lol

Anyhow, I especially enjoy making soups, stews, and chili this time of year. That's not to mention Fall fruit treats, such as apple pies, crumbles, jams, and so much more. I love it all! Fall comfort food makes me happy.

For me, I love soups, especially! I will make soup from just about anything. I didn't grow any pumpkins this year, but I will definitely be buying one or two. Creamy pumpkin soup is one of my absolute favorite things to make. It lends very well to spices of different sorts, which makes it exciting to work with. It works with curries, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, and so on.

And lets not forget pumpkin pie. What Thanksgiving table would be complete without some form of pumpkin pie? So yeah, pumpkins, squash, and all the other wonderful Fall harvest veggies are amazing in comfort foods.

I especially love chanterelle mushrooms, which grow in abundance locally here....if you know where to look. Sadly, they are not cheap to buy at the grocery store, but they are my absolute favorite mushroom, which fall into my Fall comfort foods. Truthfully, I haven't met a mushroom I didn't like, but Fall harvest is amazing for shrooms, especially chanterelles. Love em!

What are your favorite comfort foods for Fall? Post your favorite things to eat in the Fall. Even if you live down under I would love to know what your favorites are? I realize it's just entering Spring for members down under, but you can still post your favorite Fall recipes.

:pumpkin:

Autumn dishes and food ; simmered,roast and baked. I like making goulash,Indian style curries,savoury pies,soups, cottage pie and roast vegetables. Desserts; steamed puddings, sticky toffee pudding,treacle pudding,apple pie,prune crumble, and various tea breads including rock cakes and fruit cake.

All of the recipes mentioned are probably delicious. Most I have never even tried. Trying out pumpkin pie gets now on my bucket list. Is there such a thing as pumpkin pecan pie? In Star Trek Enterprise Tucker mentioned that he likes pecan pie. That with vegan vanilla ice cream, damn!

I'm lazy, so no matter what the weather is, I'll most likely eat what I always eat. But for me, my normal meals are comfort foods. I'm boring like that. But I don't get bored.

When my birthday arrives at October, I might buy something special. Maybe vegan sour cream and onion lentil chips. Maybe chocolate or cookies. But I'm too lazy to bake or cook something special myself.

I'll get hungry thinking about treats. I must stop now.

Autumn dishes and food ; simmered,roast and baked. I like making goulash,Indian style curries,savoury pies,soups, cottage pie and roast vegetables. Desserts; steamed puddings, sticky toffee pudding,treacle pudding,apple pie,prune crumble, and various tea breads including rock cakes and fruit cake.
Reading you talking about "savoury" this and "treacle" that makes me want to listen to 1980s British music (and so I am!).

All of the recipes mentioned are probably delicious. Most I have never even tried. Trying out pumpkin pie gets now on my bucket list. Is there such a thing as pumpkin pecan pie? In Star Trek Enterprise Tucker mentioned that he likes pecan pie. That with vegan vanilla ice cream, damn!

I'm lazy, so no matter what the weather is, I'll most likely eat what I always eat. But for me, my normal meals are comfort foods. I'm boring like that. But I don't get bored.

When my birthday arrives at October, I might buy something special. Maybe vegan sour cream and onion lentil chips. Maybe chocolate or cookies. But I'm too lazy to bake or cook something special myself.

I'll get hungry thinking about treats. I must stop now.
Here you go!

My favorite fall comfort foods are pies (both savory and sweet), apple-anything, casseroles, chilis and soups. I'm going to be making roasted butternut squash-ginger soup soon.